Obama considers razing U.S. cities to the ground

Started by Syt, June 14, 2009, 12:01:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Zanza2 on June 14, 2009, 01:37:28 PM
So why would the federal government be involved with this? Can't the Flint city council or mayor or whoever just decide to do it?
Cities like free money.  Obama likes to give free money.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Ed Anger

The Appian way has fallen into disrepair:

http://www.wwmt.com/articles/roads-1363526-mich-counties.html

QuoteLANSING, Mich. (AP) - Some Michigan counties have turned a few once-paved rural roads back to gravel to save money.

More than 20 of the state's 83 counties have reverted deteriorating paved roads to gravel in the last few years, according to the County Road Association of Michigan. The counties are struggling with their budgets because tax revenues have declined in the lingering recession.

Montcalm County converted nearly 10 miles of primary road to gravel this spring.

The county estimates it takes about $10,000 to grind up a mile of pavement and put down gravel. It takes more than $100,000 to repave a mile of road.

Reverting to gravel has happened in a few other states but it is most typical in Michigan. At least 50 miles have been reverted in the state in the past three years.

Time to stock up on food and ammo. The country is falling apart.

Barrister

Gravel roads are a sign of the collapse?

Someone should tell Yukon Dep't of Highways...
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Barrister on June 14, 2009, 03:08:35 PM

You have to have civilization before it can collapse.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Ed Anger

Nobody cares what goes on in the Client Kingdoms. Goddamn uppity canucks.

Jaron

Winner of THE grumbler point.

Ed Anger

Nooooooo! Not Perkins!

QuotePerkins Restaurant and Bakery. Company accountants could probably use some of the comfort food on the menu at this diner-style franchise, which has about 500 locations, mostly in the Midwest. Like other restaurants, Perkins has been able to cut food costs since they soared in 2007. But revenue has fallen, and the parent firm lost $9.7 million in the first quarter. S&P says the firm's liquidity position is "tenuous." With market share of just 8 percent, Perkins is more vulnerable to a lousy economy that competitors like Denny's (22 percent market share) and IHOP (19 percent). Perkins also owns the Marie Callender's Restaurant and Bakery chain, which suffers from similar financial burdens. Plus, Marie Callender is based in hard-hit California, which has been hammered by the housing bust.

A company spokesperson says Perkins has cut expenses by $7.3 million to help shore up its finances, delayed some remodeling, and called a halt to expansion.

Where will I get my pancakes in a non-herpes enviroment?

CountDeMoney

QuoteThey include Detroit, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Baltimore and Memphis.

Hear, hear.  I say start alphabetically.

Strix

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 14, 2009, 12:27:47 PM
Quote from: dps on June 14, 2009, 12:22:13 PM
I'm not particularly convinced that physical sprawl is the main problem afflicting decaying industrial cities, or that reducing sprawl will help address the other problems.
Getting rid of abandoned buildings should cut down on crime though.

Yes, yes it would. At my job, we spend a lot of early mornings (we start at 5:00 am) clearing abandoned buildings looking for absconders. The average abandoned building in Rochester has 3-5 druggies, 1-2 prostitutes, and usually 1-2 people wanted for something by law enforcement. Now multiply that by the 2,800 abandoned buildings within the city limits and that's a lot of little "crime" zones.
"I always cheer up immensely if an attack is particularly wounding because I think, well, if they attack one personally, it means they have not a single political argument left." - Margaret Thatcher

Neil

The Yukon is uninhabited.  There's no reason for them to have decent highways.  Michigan is heavily populated.  It needs an efficient transport system in order to ensure the efficient distribution of goods and skilled workers.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DGuller

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 14, 2009, 03:10:41 PM

You have to have civilization before it can collapse.
:lol:

DGuller

I think it's a great idea, I think I suggested it in the Detroit thread myself.  City slums are like gangrenous extremities, and are best removed.

Viking

Come to think of it, Hansy might be right.. Barack Hussein might succede where Saddam Hussein failed, and flatten a US city.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.