Previous topic - Next topic

Siege

Whoa, im older than deerspy.
That sucks.

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"

sbr

I spent most of 89-90 in a booze induced haze.  I was interested in current events, and vaugely knew what was going on, but I didn't follow them as closely as I now wish I had.

Martinus

Well, it was an eventful year in Poland as well and I was 11 or something. I remember hearing this on tv and not having a clue what it all meant, but I remember there was an anxiety, excitement, a sense of something happening. Only in retrospect it feels like my teenage years were some of the more eventful times in the modern history. ;)

The Brain

BUT no ejaculations because it was sinful.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

crazy canuck

The most poignant moment for me when I heard that the Wall had come down is that when I was in Berlin there were crosses commemorating people who had been killed trying to got over the Wall.  As I recall it the last one had been shot just months before.  I think about that person and how he could have freely crossed just months later.

Josquius

What is particularly funny/annoying about it is that all the really audacious attempts to escape East Germany seemed to have happened not long before the collapse. Really sucks to be those guys. But yes. Sucks more for the ones who failed.
██████
██████
██████

Martinus

Quote from: The Brain on November 12, 2014, 05:07:34 PM
BUT no ejaculations because it was sinful.

I was deeply closeted at the time. And about to begin my fling with fundamentalist Catholicism. :P

mongers

That year of revolutions pretty much was echoed in my own life.
In addition to lots of personal stuff going on, 89 saw me having 3 different cars, 2/3 jobs, moving 5 times and spending most of the time outside in forests/countryside doing construction engineering. So interesting times too.

From early on in that year, I had keen sense that the world really was changing.

Oh and lets not forget Tiananmen Square.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josquius

I learned to use the big boy toilet.
██████
██████
██████

Archy

I was a 7 year old than, I've some vague memories of TV and asking my dad if there's a west and an east Germany why there wasn't a  west and east Belgium. I remember after the fall of the USSR in 1991 I was excited off all the new countries on the maps, I was kind of a map geek than.

Duque de Bragança

Everybody happy, East Germans showing up in Paris since they had at last freedom to travel. Dad trying to remembering his broken German to give them directions.
Some crooks tried to sell "Berlin Wall rubble" in the flea markets also  :lol:
History and geography junior high books were deemed to be soon obsolete as well, but since there was no new program, we still had to study the program as scheduled.

Brazen

I'd just graduated from University and was starting work in Oxford. I'd snogged and East German on a school trip to Russia and we were briefly pen pals, so its significance wasn't lost on me.

Syt

We had a really keen history teacher who was ahead of his several year time schedule. When I graduated in 1992 he was already covering the re-unification with us.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

The DDR's and Stasi's lack of an iron-fisted response was the biggest sure-thing Lead Pipe Lock of the Week letdown since the '68 Colts.  But totalitarianism made up for it in Beijing.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Siege on November 12, 2014, 02:56:55 PM
I was sucking dick in the middle of nowhere.

Business or pleasure?
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?