Previous topic - Next topic

Habbaku

Quote from: Viking on November 11, 2014, 03:26:18 AM
Step 1. Get island
Step 2. Recruit all Dixie soldier pops as irregulars
Step 3. Place Dixie solders on island
Step 4. Have civil war
Step 5. Profit!

Not everyone plays to min/max their country.  That sounds horrendously boring.
The medievals were only too right in taking nolo episcopari as the best reason a man could give to others for making him a bishop. Give me a king whose chief interest in life is stamps, railways, or race-horses; and who has the power to sack his Vizier (or whatever you care to call him) if he does not like the cut of his trousers.

Government is an abstract noun meaning the art and process of governing and it should be an offence to write it with a capital G or so as to refer to people.

-J. R. R. Tolkien

jimmy olsen

Unlike Brazil where the population was heavily concentrated in a few states, the US population is much more spread out so with only 2-3 national focuses quickly raising literacy in the early game is not as feasible. Any alternate strategy suggest itself to you guys?

The best way to increase colonial power is to build naval bases, right?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

I have so much more colonial power than you, but Britain can still outlast me. Did they just chose not to compete with you? How did you win colonize the Columbian interior?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

I asked for the territory and they gave it to me.  I thought that was clear.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

No, in 1842 you managed to colonize Washington and the interior of Columbia with less than half the colonial power that I have. How?

Quote from: Razgovory on November 09, 2014, 03:12:44 PM

The United States in 1842.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

You do know you have to make your territories states right?  Otherwise you'll have a lot of power tied up in their upkeep.  You can make them states by promoting bureaucrats in those territories.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Razgovory on November 12, 2014, 08:51:48 AM
You do know you have to make your territories states right?  Otherwise you'll have a lot of power tied up in their upkeep.  You can make them states by promoting bureaucrats in those territories.
I made all my territories states, I built all the naval bases I could. My colonial power is 470 and yours is only 200! Yet, I can only manage to nab Oregon.

1 Karma Chameleon point

Razgovory

The Fourth Decade: The Search for Spock

Starting out is a bit slow.  I can't wage war, Laissez-faire has some serious draw backs, notably capitalists build a bunch of factories that they end up clsoing because there isn't enough people to work in them.

I took this screen shot but I don't remember why.

Libertarians gain representation in the Upper House. 

We have an election where Free soil party runs again.  Free Soil, Free men, Freemont!  Sadly they narrowly lose to the Whigs.

I get the Dred Scot Case.  This time, Justice is served.   I AM THE LAW!

At some point, both the Whig and Free Soil parties disappear and are replaced with the Republican party.  I don't know when this happened, it was only '56 did I even notice it.  The Republicans become the ruling party despite nobody actually voting for them.  Oh well, I can wage war again.  So Mexico had better watch out.

So we fabricate a claim on that province with those ugly little dogs and declare war.

Early in the War there is an Election.  The newly elected Republican Party wins.  My old enemy the Libertarians are gaining power.

The Mexicans prove more difficult to fight this time around. 

During the war we are betrayed by Libertarians.  Fortunately we have no difficultly taking the guns from their cold dead hands.

Surprisingly the Mexicans beat my Pacific squadron though I lose no ships.

But we wear down the enemy.  The Mexicans quickly surrender.

Shortly after our victory the people of "ugly little dog" state rebel.  It takes considerable force to put them down.

John Brown is hung.  The Civil War looms.

I get first crack at the Tomb of the Pharaohs!

And Civil War breaks out!  Of course I pick the Union.  Being an equal opportunity employer I have both Dixie and Yankee pops in my armies, so the beginning of the war is a series of mutinies and battles between loyalist and rebel brigades.

With the war ongoing I immediately end slavery. 

The War makes big headlines!

France is Glorious.  US President murdered: page five. (note this paper came out before the war.  I only noticed it and took a screen shot afterwords.

Seriously?  I'm kinda busy right now.

When the war starts a large number of my troops were in the newly conquered Mexican territory so they invaded the South through Texas.  You can also see Robert E. Lee apparently winning a battle.  He somehow manages to lose it anyway.

Robert E. Lee is a highly mobile general, but by himself he won't go anywhere.  You really have to drive him hard.

The US tightens it's grip on the South.

And we pass the Homestead Act

This session is over.  The US is beating the Confederacy.  Hopefully I'll be able to bring it down in another year.  Here is the general strategic situation.  Note the Hispaniola and Zulia are confederate as well.

Here's a close up of where the majority of the fighting is, in the West.

The East on the other hand isn't seeing a lot of fighting.  The Capital is about to fall.

Still fourth place though!

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Tonitrus

Barrister

Very entertaining Raz.  Please continue. :)

In particular though please add more pics of your niece.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Lettow77

I am pleased to see screenshots indicate responsible rule did indeed find Hispaniola at last. That's a gratifyingly large Southern Confederacy.
It can't be helped...We'll have to use 'that'

Razgovory

Spoiler:  The South lost.  Now I have to reorganize all my armies.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 12, 2014, 08:53:41 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on November 12, 2014, 08:51:48 AM
I made all my territories states, I built all the naval bases I could. My colonial power is 470 and yours is only 200! Yet, I can only manage to nab Oregon.
So, no answer to this?  At best I manage to force an international crisis for one of the territories. How did you win both?  Did Britain just choose not to compete for some reason?

1 Karma Chameleon point

Eddie Teach

ATTN: TIM

Quote from: Razgovory on November 10, 2014, 10:02:28 PM
Even as the US conquers Mexico, some gaze hungrily toward British North America.  We shall not take any guff from the Brits so we elect to Fight.

Damn the British give in.  Oh, and note I sent the British an Ultimatum before the battle of Monterrey, I got the chronology wrong.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?