News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Oy vey! Kosher Google launched

Started by Brazen, June 15, 2009, 06:20:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

QuoteKoogle, a kosher Google, launches

A kosher version of Google called Koogle, has been developed in Israel for Hebrew-speaking Orthodox Jews.

evoutly religious Jews are restricted when surfing the web in case they should come across sexually explicit material.

However, Koogle, a new 'kosher' Hebrew-language search engine, could be set to change all of that. Yossi Altman developed the tool, which omits religiously objectionable material, and has gained approval from Orthodox rabbis.

The search engine links to Israeli news and shopping sites but the results are filtered to exclude items deemed unsuitable.

"This is a kosher alternative for ultra-Orthodox Jews so that they may surf the Internet," Yossi Altman told Reuters, Jerusalem.

"The site was developed in part at the encouragement of rabbis who sought a solution to the needs of ultra-Orthodox Jews to browse the Web particularly for vital services," he added.

Nothing can be posted on Saturdays, the Jewish Sabbath, as Jews are banned from all types of work and business activity. If Koogle users attempt to search for an item or post a message on the Sabbath, it crashes and won't let you.

The label 'Koogle' is a play on the name of a Jewish noodle pudding dish, known as kugel, and Google, the search market leader.

Koogle was also the brand name for a flavored peanut butter marketed by Kraft Foods in 1971 but later was discontinued.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/scienceandtechnology/technology/google/5540481/Koogle-a-kosher--Google-launches.html

Grey Fox

I guess Siegy will have a nice surprise when he gets back.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josquius

Almost sounds like an April fools then you notice its June and there are already such zaniness as kosher mobiles.
██████
██████
██████

Martinus

It starts to make sense when you realize that rabbis are collecting fees for "kosherness" certificates. If Catholicism is a vertically integrated monopoly, then Judaism is a franchise. :P

Brazen

Quote from: Martinus on June 15, 2009, 06:23:52 AM
It starts to make sense when you realize that rabbis are collecting fees for "kosherness" certificates. If Catholicism is a vertically integrated monopoly, then Judaism is a franchise. :P
Jesus saves, Moses invests.

Richard Hakluyt

Valmy

Typical anti-semitic Euros.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Syt

So, who maintains the filter and is doing so kosher (i.e. you may be subjected to copying/pasting/typing bad words or check unkosher sites to add them to the filter)?
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Jaron

I think the Hillshire Farms website is about to get a lot fewer hits. :(
Winner of THE grumbler point.

saskganesh

why not? kosher has commercial value, so it's fair the arbiters of kosher receive their cut, especially as they have to inspect your business in person and review your paper trail that tracks ingredients and processes from farm to fork.
humans were created in their own image

Solmyr

Slargos

I assume they will still be able to find pictures of aryan babies being drawn of their precious blood?