Irish teacher rejected for South Korea job due to "alcoholic nature of her kind"

Started by Brazen, November 06, 2014, 06:38:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

Josquius

:lol:
Though rather than just having a stereotype of Ireland they probably had a bad experience with an Irish guy once.
And the real reason is probably one of "We wanna teach the kids real (American) English. They can't understand anyone who doesn't sound like they're from a Disney movie!"
██████
██████
██████

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Martinus

Quote from: jimmy olsen on November 06, 2014, 10:54:22 AM
Not too surprising, a lot of people here assume that a foreigner is a complete representative of all people from that country and if they behave one way then everyone else from that country does as well. It only takes one bad apple to poison the well for a decade.

Are you for real defending racism because of "bad apples"?

PRC

Th
Quote from: Capetan Mihali on November 06, 2014, 03:38:02 PM
Isn't South Koreans some of the biggest drunks on the planet?

Seriously, with the way they down So-Ju they shouldn't be throwing any stones.

Admiral Yi

So-ju is actually quite low alcohol.  Something like 48 proof IIRC.

Caliga

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 06, 2014, 03:42:50 PM
So-ju is actually quite low alcohol.  Something like 48 proof IIRC.
That Bohae stuff I had at Epcot... was that soju?  Strength-wise it reminded me of port or something.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Caliga on November 06, 2014, 03:47:25 PM
That Bohae stuff I had at Epcot... was that soju?  Strength-wise it reminded me of port or something.

Clear liquor, sickly-sweet taste?

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 06, 2014, 03:13:10 PM
:lol: So it's really all our fault.
Is there any doubt? :unsure:
It's certainly not the Italians who are to blame here. Pretty clearly the Koreans
██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on November 06, 2014, 04:26:17 PM
Is there any doubt? :unsure:
It's certainly not the Italians who are to blame here. Pretty clearly the Koreans

I meant America's fault. :secret:

The Brain

If they want to be kissed for being Irish then obviously they will be denied employment for being Irish. This isn't a smorgasbord where you get to pick and choose.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Josquius

██████
██████
██████

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on November 06, 2014, 04:53:26 PM
How's that? :hmm:

Maybe I leaped to an assumption.  When you said they can only understand people in Disney movies, were you referring to Americans or Koreans?

Josquius

Quote from: Admiral Yi on November 06, 2014, 04:55:27 PM
Quote from: Tyr on November 06, 2014, 04:53:26 PM
How's that? :hmm:

Maybe I leaped to an assumption.  When you said they can only understand people in Disney movies, were you referring to Americans or Koreans?
Koreans.

I don't know about Korea, but in Japan at least there are a lot of native teachers who have this thing about American English being the only real English, its what the kids are used to and it is what they teach so foreign teachers from anywhere else are detrimental.
At my school I had one or two people a bit like this, if I'd had a stronger accent at the time I dread to think how it would have gone. I've got a Jamaican friend who drew a real short straw with such a woman being in charge of English at his school and completely screwing up his life.

From my impressions of Korea I guess things are even worse there since it is such an Americanised country.
██████
██████
██████