News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Your favourite Stephen King Books?

Started by Josephus, November 05, 2014, 06:45:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gups

I read loads of his books when I was in my teens. I think my favourites were Salem's Lot and teh Bachman novellas.

Decided to give him another go a few months ago and downloaded 11/22/63. Jesus, it was terrible. Unbelievably bloated and badly written but with just enough hooks to keep you reading.

Syt

I had a phase during my teens when I read his books, though I didn't read many of his "classics."

I've read:
Misery
Dead Zone
The Long Walk
The Running Man
The Eyes of the Dragon
Tommyknockers
The Dark Half
Cycle of the Werewolf
The Stand
Christine

And recently I've read the first three books of the Dark Tower series (stuck on pt. 4).

I recall that of the ones I read I liked Misery, The Stand (which I re-read later, and I also have the miniseries on DVD), Eyes of the Dragon and Dark Half the best.

I also enjoyed the Dark Tower books 1-3, though the long flashback to Roland's youth and his friends made me take a break, because it starts off VERY slow, and the series lost a lot of momentum for me there.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Pedrito

From the OP, cut Salem's Lot and Dark Tower (good only for a couple books, the rest is pretty useless) and add Carrie (quite terrifying, when I was 15) and On Writing, and you'll get my favourites. (Different Seasons, too, instead of Rita Hayworth etc etc)

Of the post-incident books, though, I've read only 11/22/63 and Joyland, and I have to say that this last one is quite a good novel.

There are a ton of excellent short stories from SK, too, but I can't remember the titles of most of them.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Pedrito

Quote from: Syt on November 06, 2014, 03:25:30 AM
The Eyes of the Dragon

It's the one about the gipsy's curse? That one is a good scary novel, too.

About DT series, I've recently read it all, and I share your feelings: it starts off very well, then the "flashback" novel (Wizard and Glass, IIRC) is a complete change of pace and style, it almost becomes a Louis L'Amour book. The following books become a delirium of intertwined fictional and real worlds, lacking focus, it seems SK himself did not know how to tie things up.
My expectations were rather high, and I was disappointed.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Syt

Quote from: Pedrito on November 06, 2014, 03:44:42 AM
Quote from: Syt on November 06, 2014, 03:25:30 AM
The Eyes of the Dragon

It's the one about the gipsy's curse? That one is a good scary novel, too.

No, it's more of a fantasy novel. I haven't read it in 20+ years, so not sure how it holds up.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Martinus

I really only read the Dark Tower series, but it is among my favourite books in general.

Martinus

Btw, could anyone recommend to me Stephen King's books that are closer to Dark Tower (i.e. dark fantasy/mysticism) than horror?

Brazen

I'm sure I read quite a bit of King in my early  teenage horror phase, but I can only remember Christine. I've seen most of the films though  :hmm:

I preferred James Herbert which had rather lurid sex scenes that made me think intercourse was inevitably followed by being eaten alive by rats, for example.

Josephus

Yeah I read a lot of James Herbert but always preferred King.
Eyes of the Dragon is King's "children's book" (well, young readers, perhaps). I don't remember it much but it was a castle fantasy type thing. Roland Flagg makes a cameo IIRC.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

jimmy olsen

Saw an interview with Clive Barker over at Deviant Art.

Starts off with a review of his work for the uninitiated, so skip down about a third of the way to get the interview. Shows quite a few of paintings as well.

http://techgnotic.deviantart.com/journal/Clive-Barker-Return-of-The-Dark-Master-491709767
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Gups on November 06, 2014, 03:18:28 AM
Decided to give him another go a few months ago and downloaded 11/22/63. Jesus, it was terrible. Unbelievably bloated and badly written but with just enough hooks to keep you reading.

Sounds suspiciously like an episode of The New Twilight Zone from the mid-80s. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Profile_in_Silver

The Brain

Haven't read much King. It and Four Past Midnight. Plus maybe something else I forget.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

11B4V

Havent read too many. Favs Bachman Books, Stand, Salems Lot
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

KRonn

I've read a few of King's books, I remember Cujo and Pet Sematary and there were a couple others including The Stand which is probably my favorite. Haven't read his stuff in years though.