News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

My Seagate HDD locked me out :(

Started by Tamas, June 13, 2009, 05:26:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

starbright

Yes. Please post you drive model number to make sure the problem is the same.

I used this cable: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=128807&pid=834086&st=680&

Plug and play. I can guide you through on MSN if you want.

Tamas

Oh thanks thats a much clearer explanation!

I am at work, but I hope I can get together with a slightly more knowledgeable friend tomorrow. He has the required screwdriver, while I dont.

so basically I just like remove the electronics part, then connect the HDD to the SATA power supply like it was working, take the USB cable of my mobile, ID the 3 required cables, connect them to the 3 pins on the HDD and I am ready to go with Hyperterminal?

Tamas

MY HDD IS WORKING! I HAVE ISSUED ORDERS TO IT IN HYPER TERMINAL!

Thanks goes out to starbright that description and pics deeper into the thread helped build confidence to actually attempt it.

A friend of dad's helped since he had some experience in tearing hdds apart.

Now its time to copy valuable data (direct-download game install files, documents, p0rn) to the external HD, then a firmware upgrade, and I am set.

starbright

Quote from: Tamas on June 15, 2009, 01:42:07 PM
MY HDD IS WORKING! I HAVE ISSUED ORDERS TO IT IN HYPER TERMINAL!

Nice to hear. I hate Seagate and Western Digital. Spent $400 on HDs in the last three years and all of them failed me. One from Seagate had this bug. Pain in the ass.

Warning! If you have a Green Power drive from Western Digital, they have a bug that might shorten their lifespan. They park the head more often than necessary and will reach their lifespan limit in a couple of months.