News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

About Flying Cars and Quadcopters

Started by DontSayBanana, October 30, 2014, 10:45:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DontSayBanana

I was browsing some articles when I found some squeeing over a flying car proposal.  Vaguely interested, I clicked the link to see what amounted to basically the same rehashed proposal that countless entrepeneurs have tried to market without success (link for the curious: http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/oct/29/flying-car-liftoff-advanced-prototype-unveiled-aeromobil )

It did set me to thinking, though: why are we so fixated on the idea that a flying car is going to be an airplane form factor?  It's a tremendous waste of space- the heavier the car, the bigger the lifting surfaces have to be, which only adds more weight as the folding and locking mechanisms have to scale up, and it can only achieve "flight" with an adequate length of runway clear in front of it.

On the other hand, we have multiple consumer models of radio-controlled "flying cars" in the form of quadcopters with rotors integrated into the wheels.  So given that we have the technology to convert four wheels into a quadcopter with relatively stable flight characteristics while keeping the car's form factor largely the same, why is every entrepreneur working on the subject still trying to tack wings onto a car or make a driveable plane?
Experience bij!

lustindarkness

Yesterday's tomorrow is no longer what it used to be.  :(  I want my flying car I was promised.  :mad:
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

mongers

The confusion over the promise of flying cars, is just the result of a bad typo, the original question posed the the 50s was "Do you want flies with your car?".   
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Savonarola

Henry Ford had wanted to make an "Everyman's airplane" the same way that the Model T was an Everyman's car.  He had a prototype and was going to call it the Ford 2A Flivver, but stopped production when the prototype crashed and the pilot (and Ford's friend) Harry Brooks died; right here in Melbourne Florida.

I think any flying car is going to have that problem; it's simply too dangerous for the mass market.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Malthus

Quote from: Savonarola on October 30, 2014, 02:33:33 PM
Henry Ford had wanted to make an "Everyman's airplane" the same way that the Model T was an Everyman's car.  He had a prototype and was going to call it the Ford 2A Flivver, but stopped production when the prototype crashed and the pilot (and Ford's friend) Harry Brooks died; right here in Melbourne Florida.

I think any flying car is going to have that problem; it's simply too dangerous for the mass market.

True for any human flier - we can't all be trained pilots.

What of computer-controlled drones, though?
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Savonarola

Quote from: Malthus on October 30, 2014, 02:35:22 PM
Quote from: Savonarola on October 30, 2014, 02:33:33 PM

True for any human flier - we can't all be trained pilots.

What of computer-controlled drones, though?

That's a fair point; a drone could deal with the congestion mass produced flying cars would produce.

The other problem I see is that of fuel consumption and emissions.  If a cheap, low emission fuel were to become available then a flying car could become practical.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

Tonitrus

Even with flying drone/cars, and making it all automated...who would want a flyway over their house/neighborhood?

Savonarola

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 30, 2014, 06:41:03 PM
Even with flying drone/cars, and making it all automated...who would want a flyway over their house/neighborhood?

We'll route them over poor-people neighborhoods, the way we do with flight patterns.   :)

;)

Presumably civilian drones, if they are to become prevalent, will have to be low noise, low fuel consumption and (if they are to carry passengers) have to be incredibly safe.

Agelastus

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 30, 2014, 06:41:03 PM

Have them fly in layers above the already existing roads - it may not cut down the mileage the way flying direct would, but the corridors are already there and it would do a heck of a lot of good for the congestion issues.

Heh...you could have heavy Goods on the roads with the caravans, a "moderate speed" lane for cars above it and a "fast lane" above that; a vertical motorway, in fact.  :D
"Come grow old with me
The Best is yet to be
The last of life for which the first was made."