News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

How Much Outside Do You Need ?

Started by mongers, October 24, 2014, 07:13:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

As a counterpart to the tiny house thread, I'm interested to know how much garden/yard you need. And to widen the question further what access to parks, countryside the great outdoors and do you like ?

For me, the garden is a bit small, but living on a former island in a river, space is limited, but I've a river 30 ft from the front door.

To the north here's a park that separates me from the town and I've meadows and countryside all about. I've an old railway-line 20 yards away that give me access to the forest in one direction and in the other 'Hardy' country and  eventually the coast and sea.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Larch

Some friends of mine used to live next to a river that ran right behind their back yard. They loved it until it flooded and their entire yard ended up under a foot of water.

mongers

Quote from: The Larch on October 24, 2014, 07:16:50 AM
Some friends of mine used to live next to a river that ran right behind their back yard. They loved it until it flooded and their entire yard ended up under a foot of water.

Oh I get flooded often, you just learn to live with it, especially once the penny drops and you realise you actually live In a river not beside it.   :)

crazy canuck

For most of my life I have lived near large natural spaces where I was just minutes walk away from undeveloped natural settings.  I think I have come to need that. 

mongers

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 24, 2014, 07:19:12 AM
For most of my life I have lived near large natural spaces where I was just minutes walk away from undeveloped natural settings.  I think I have come to need that.

Yes, I think for some people it's an absolute necessity, and for many others it would help with their wellbeing.

Of course in England, very few people have what you describe, all land around here for dozens of miles is owned and managed by someone.

Brazen

I need outside, but I don't need my own outside. We have communal gardens which I don't think I've ever sat or lain out in (except that one time on my 40th birthday - sorry neighbours). I have a view over a cricket pitch with mature horse chestnut trees so I can always see some green. They seem to attract a lot of wildlife that are otherwise fairly rare in the 'burbs - jays and woodpeckers for instance. Plus the ubiquitous squirrels and foxes. The park and the New River Loop is just five minutes away for my walking and running pleasure. Loads of fairly exotic migrating water fowl reside there over summer. I can drive to Proper Country in 15 minutes.

I don't miss weeding or mowing, that's for sure.

Grey Fox

I need a little outside (or alot depending on your definition, I guess) even tho I am not much of an outside person.

I've come to the realisation that what I really need is a good 3-4 mature trees in close proximity.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Martinus

I am like Brazen. I need to be able to look out of the window and see greenery, but I don't need to be there. In fact, I prefer being inside.

derspiess

I'd be happy with Cal's vast expanse of greenspace.  What I have now I guess would be huge by UK standards and I like having a wooded lot, but I'd like to have more.  Like as in enough for me to have an excuse to buy an ATV of some sort.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Eddie Teach

Green space is great, but I'd rather not be the one taking care of it.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

derspiess

Quote from: Peter Wiggin on October 24, 2014, 08:50:34 AM
Green space is great, but I'd rather not be the one taking care of it.

That's part of the fun, though.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Ed Anger

I like running over snakes with my riding lwnmower.

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

derspiess

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Sheilbh

I don't need a garden but I need to get to the country fairly regularly.
Let's bomb Russia!