And we're back!

Main Menu

Upgrading video card

Started by Pedrito, October 23, 2014, 11:27:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Quote from: Pedrito on October 29, 2014, 02:15:18 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on October 28, 2014, 08:31:39 PM
Is there any possibility that I can *gasp* replace the video card on my own?  I'm not inclined to drag the computer to the shop once more.  I am the sort of guy who is scared every time I open the computer case and I dare not touch the cables  :ph34r: 

How many cables and screws are involved anyway?

It's one of the easiest, safest operations inside a pc case.
- turn off the system
- unplug every cable , particularly the display one and the AC
- open the case, remember do not use a pair of rubber-soles shoes because they insulate you and static energy accumulating in your body can fry some component (it never never happened to me, but it's wise advice nonetheless)
- unplug the current cable of the card
- unscrew the front of the card from the chassis, please do not use magnetically charged screwdrivers
- push the small lever that's at the end of the pci-express slot farther from the chassis
- extract the old card, insert the new one until you hear the small lever going in place with a click.
- screw the front, plug the cable, close the case, attach all the other cables, start the pc, install drivers, enjoy.

L.

Thanks.  I still have one question though.  Is there any point?  I hate to spend US$358, replace the 570 with the 970, then find out that...nothing has changed and all the graphics pretty much remain the same.  Is there any real difference, or should I just stick with the 570 for a year or two more?

Pedrito

Quote from: Monoriu on October 29, 2014, 02:31:17 AM
Thanks.  I still have one question though.  Is there any point?  I hate to spend US$358, replace the 570 with the 970, then find out that...nothing has changed and all the graphics pretty much remain the same.  Is there any real difference, or should I just stick with the 570 for a year or two more?
That's pretty much my OP question, too  :P

Jumping from (in my case) a 460 to a 770 or, even better, a 970 would grant a smoother frame rate and better effects, I'm quite positive about it.
The conundrum is: does spending € 250 for a 770 grant a significant raise in performance? If I spend € 350 for a 970 (a raise of about +40% from a € 250 GT770), will I get a +40% better performance than a 770, too?

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

viper37

Quote from: Monoriu on October 29, 2014, 01:32:22 AM
GTX 970 sells for US$358 here.  980 is US$640.
either go for the 970 or the AMD R9 290x, wich could be a little cheaper.  Both gives about the performance / $ value.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

viper37

Quote from: Pedrito on October 29, 2014, 02:59:27 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on October 29, 2014, 02:31:17 AM
That's pretty much my OP question, too  :P

Jumping from (in my case) a 460 to a 770 or, even better, a 970 would grant a smoother frame rate and better effects, I'm quite positive about it.
The conundrum is: does spending € 250 for a 770 grant a significant raise in performance? If I spend € 350 for a 970 (a raise of about +40% from a € 250 GT770), will I get a +40% better performance than a 770, too?

L.
The answer to both of your questions is: it depends.

In the case of Mono, to play Skyrim (with the graphic modifications) and Rome 2, it would be worth it.
You will see a lot more details in your graphics, you will get higher resolution and more speed at that higher resolution.
And Mono has the CPU to run intensive games at higher resolution.

In your case Pedrito, I don't think a 970 is a good investment, unless you intend to gradually upgrade your computer to a better one within a year.  I don't know your config, but anything short of an Intel i5 or the latest AMD FX would not cope with high resolutions in modern game.
So, in your case, the 760 might be worth it if you want to stick with Nvidia.  Anything lower is not worth the upgrade costs, anything higher is wasted money, you'll be dragged down by your CPU.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Pedrito

Quote from: viper37 on October 29, 2014, 10:06:15 AM
The answer to both of your questions is: it depends.

In the case of Mono, to play Skyrim (with the graphic modifications) and Rome 2, it would be worth it.
You will see a lot more details in your graphics, you will get higher resolution and more speed at that higher resolution.
And Mono has the CPU to run intensive games at higher resolution.

In your case Pedrito, I don't think a 970 is a good investment, unless you intend to gradually upgrade your computer to a better one within a year.  I don't know your config, but anything short of an Intel i5 or the latest AMD FX would not cope with high resolutions in modern game.
So, in your case, the 760 might be worth it if you want to stick with Nvidia.  Anything lower is not worth the upgrade costs, anything higher is wasted money, you'll be dragged down by your CPU.
I have an i5-2500K not overclocked, 8 gb RAM (uncertain about the clock rate, I'll check and report), AsRock motherboard, single 1920*1080 display, main drive SSD, data drive mechanical, Windows 7: I don't want to spend money on it, because it's extremely stable and works well for the use I make of it.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

Monoriu

Alright.  I will go buy the 970 tomorrow then.  Buying is one thing.  Installing it is the really painful part  :wacko:

Monoriu

Hmm, I just want to make sure that I am not doing anything really stupid or irredeemable.  My system is -

Intel I7 2600k CPU
16GB Ram
Asus Intel P8Z68 V LE motherboard
Super Flower Golden Green 850W power supply
Windows 7
GTX 570

Is this compatible with the GTX 970? Do I need to change anything else?  More Ram, bigger power supply, or something?  I really don't need to replace the CPU?  It is 3 years old.  :unsure:

Barrister

Quote from: Monoriu on October 29, 2014, 11:07:07 AM
Hmm, I just want to make sure that I am not doing anything really stupid or irredeemable.  My system is -

Intel I7 2600k CPU
16GB Ram
Windows 7
GTX 570

Is this compatible with the GTX 970? Do I need to change anything else?  More Ram, bigger power supply, or something?  I really don't need to replace the CPU?  It is 3 years old.  :unsure:

You might have an issue - that graphics card needs/uses PCI Express 3.0, whereas your motherboard only has PCI Express 2.0.

In worrying about compatibility for your graphics card, you only need to worry if it:

A. will physically fit (so depends on your case)
B. will be compatible with your motherboard
C. Will have enough power (with 850W I'm sure you're fine)
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Monoriu

Quote from: Barrister on October 29, 2014, 03:30:51 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on October 29, 2014, 11:07:07 AM

Intel I7 2600k CPU
16GB Ram
Windows 7
GTX 570

You might have an issue - that graphics card needs/uses PCI Express 3.0, whereas your motherboard only has PCI Express 2.0.

In worrying about compatibility for your graphics card, you only need to worry if it:

A. will physically fit (so depends on your case)
B. will be compatible with your motherboard
C. Will have enough power (with 850W I'm sure you're fine)

Good thing I asked.  I'll need to talk to the computer shop people then.  If I need to buy a new motherboard too, there is no way I'll install it myself. 

Any recommendations for a new motherboard with this PCI Express 3.0 thing equipped?  If possible, I'd like it to be sort of "future proof". 

Pedrito

Well, damn. I completely overlooked this part.
But a 3.0 card should work in a 2.0 slot, isn't it?

L.
b / h = h / b+h

Monoriu

Quote from: Pedrito on October 29, 2014, 05:50:35 PM

Well, damn. I completely overlooked this part.
But a 3.0 card should work in a 2.0 slot, isn't it?

L.

From what I have searched so far, it seems a 3.0 graphics card should work in a 2.0 motherboard slot. 

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2244756/pci-express-graphics-card-slot-motherboard.html

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2273077/pci-express-x16-graphics-card-work-pci-express-slot.html

Monoriu

viper37

Quote from: Pedrito on October 29, 2014, 10:49:41 AM
I have an i5-2500K not overclocked, 8 gb RAM (uncertain about the clock rate, I'll check and report), AsRock motherboard, single 1920*1080 display, main drive SSD, data drive mechanical, Windows 7: I don't want to spend money on it, because it's extremely stable and works well for the use I make of it.
Well, it seems I was mistaken in assuming you had an older rig than that.  Imho, the video card is the weak point of your setup, so upgrading it will give you a boost.

It's up to you if you want to spend 450$ on a video card though.  Personally, I wouldn't for the type of games you described (non gpu intensive), I don't think it's worth it.  I believe you are better with a 200$ card, either AMD 280x or Nvidia GTX 760.

viper37

A PCI-E 3.0 will fit in a PCI-E 2.0 slot no problem, but you'll just have the performance of a 2.0 card.
In that case Mono, I don't think the 970 is worth it.  The 760 is PCI-E 3.0 too, but it is 200$ cheaper

As for physical dimensions, it is 1.25" (3cm) longer than your actual card.  Open the case, see if it fits by adding 3cm to your actual card.

Same for Pedrito, btw.

If you want to change your MB, Mono, than I definately advise you to let a pro do it.  And if you change the MB, you will need to change the CPU too, since it will drag you down...  So, imho, you're ok as you are with just a 760.  on a GTX 760, there is not much difference between PCI-E 2.0 and 3.0.
But the higher the cards, the bigger the difference.

You are fine with your power supply, unless you want to add 2 other video cards and 4 hard drives ;)
RAM is ok too, no need to go higher.

Grey Fox

PCI Express 3.0 motherboards are RARE.

Mono your system is fine. I want to steal it.

Pedrito's and I systems are eerily alike.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.