Sweden Is Hunting For A Russian Submarine Less Than 31 Miles From Stockholm

Started by Syt, October 19, 2014, 01:55:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

derspiess

Quote from: Tyr on October 19, 2014, 04:39:26 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 19, 2014, 02:50:16 AM
What possible advantage could Russia get from a mini sub poking around in Swedish waters?

Scaring swedes

I'm sure the Swedish Coastal Rangers aren't scared.  They speak like 7 languages.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

grumbler

Quote from: derspiess on October 20, 2014, 10:03:59 AM
Quote from: Tyr on October 19, 2014, 04:39:26 AM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 19, 2014, 02:50:16 AM
What possible advantage could Russia get from a mini sub poking around in Swedish waters?

Scaring swedes

I'm sure the Swedish Coastal Rangers aren't scared.  They speak like 7 languages.
I think its only six, now that they've dropped Klingon.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Tonitrus

Today in the Russian press:  The Russian MoD is offering suggestions to help the Swedes in their search...including the theory that the submarine they're looking for is actually Dutch.  :)

http://rt.com/news/197412-sweden-sub-dutch-russia/

I'd say they've gone into full on mockery mode.

Tamas

Quote from: Tonitrus on October 21, 2014, 12:31:49 AM
Today in the Russian press:  The Russian MoD is offering suggestions to help the Swedes in their search...including the theory that the submarine they're looking for is actually Dutch.  :)

Nah, as several articles has mentioned during the Ukraine crisis, this is actually a modus operandi: it is a very effective way of fighting an information/propaganda war by totally diluting the correct info/news spread by your enemy, with the help of nonsensical news on the same topic. It isn't really important to fabricate any kind of evidence to your own claim. It is enough if you make it. It will circulate out there and will make the truth just one of the versions.

KRonn

Heh, yep, clouding the issue.

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Brain

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 19, 2014, 07:39:41 AM
What are they going to do if they find it? Harass it with sonar?

Back in the 80s we were dropping depth charges like they were going out of style, but there were so many rumors flying around about what happened during the sub hunts. Everything from Russians being captured and silently whisked away to the embassy to deliberate misses and delayed orders. I for one don't know the truth.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DGuller

Quote from: Tamas on October 21, 2014, 07:44:59 AM

Nah, as several articles has mentioned during the Ukraine crisis, this is actually a modus operandi: it is a very effective way of fighting an information/propaganda war by totally diluting the correct info/news spread by your enemy, with the help of nonsensical news on the same topic. It isn't really important to fabricate any kind of evidence to your own claim. It is enough if you make it. It will circulate out there and will make the truth just one of the versions.
:yes: That's exactly the strategy being employed, and it works well enough.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: DGuller on October 24, 2014, 08:53:38 AM
Quote from: Tamas on October 21, 2014, 07:44:59 AMNah, as several articles has mentioned during the Ukraine crisis, this is actually a modus operandi: it is a very effective way of fighting an information/propaganda war by totally diluting the correct info/news spread by your enemy, with the help of nonsensical news on the same topic. It isn't really important to fabricate any kind of evidence to your own claim. It is enough if you make it. It will circulate out there and will make the truth just one of the versions.
:yes: That's exactly the strategy being employed, and it works well enough.

Fascinating.  It's only taken the Russians this long to use the campaign playbook FOX News developed years ago.