Four dead newborns found in Winnipeg storage locker

Started by Barrister, October 21, 2014, 03:51:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

QuoteU-Haul staff find deceased infants inside "delinquent storage locker"
By: Carol Sanders and Adam Wazny
Posted: 9:22 AM | Comments: 45 | Last Modified: 2:34 PM | Updates
Tweet 351  Post 967  Reddit 22  ShareThis 2547  Print  Email 23
U-Haul storage lockers at Elgin Avenue and McPhillips Street.
Enlarge Image
U-Haul storage lockers at Elgin Avenue and McPhillips Street. (JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS) Photo Store
Constable Eric Hofley makes grim announcement to the media about the remains of multiple babies being found in a storage locker in Winnipeg Tuesday morning.

Oct 21,  2014 Ruth Bonneville / Winnipeg Free Press 
Enlarge Image
Constable Eric Hofley makes grim announcement to the media about the remains of multiple babies being found in a storage locker in Winnipeg Tuesday morning. Oct 21, 2014 Ruth Bonneville / Winnipeg Free Press (RUTH BONNEVILLE / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS)   Photo Store
Winnipeg police are investigating the gruesome discovery of four dead infants in a storage locker at a McPhillips Street business Monday.
An employee at a storage facility made the discovery Monday afternoon, a police spokesman said at a press conference this morning. Police were at the scene through Monday afternoon, evening and into the night.
It's now public that the storage facility is a U-Haul facility located at the corner of McPhillips Street and William Avenue.
Police said the remains were in varying stages of decomposition.
Contacted today, an official with U-Haul said the company is cooperating with the authorities.
"U-Haul team members made a disturbing discovery when taking inventory of a delinquent storage locker on Monday. They immediately contacted law enforcement who believed the locker contained human remains," said Razmin Mansoub, marketing company president for U-Haul Company of Central Canada
"U-Haul is deeply shocked and saddened by this discovery."
Police are waiting for autopsies to determine their cause of death and to confirm how many babies' bodies were found, said said Const. Eric Hofley of the suspicious death investigation.
"The remains were in a state such that it's not obvious," said Hofley. "It's too early to say what has transpired... the investigation is less than 24 hours old."
"(The remains are from) very, very young infants, not children. Newborns."
"It's very disturbing and tragic" for the employees of the storage facility, police officers and other emergency personnel on the scene," Hofley added.
He said he expects police will be able to release more information Wednesday.
"I'm confident something will come out (Wednesday).
"It's tragic beyond belief," said Hofley, who, in his 14 years as a police officer, has never seen such a case.
He couldn't say when the autopsies will be complete and wouldn't say who had rented the storage unit in which the bodies of the babies were found.
Hofley said there have been no reports of missing babies.
There are no suspects in custody, although Hofley said investigators have spoken with people of interest.
The investigation by the child abuse unit is still in the early stages, and no further details were provided.
Even if it wasn't a case of foul play, "You're not allowed to store human remains in a storage locker," Hofley said.
Barrington Francis, 23, who arrived at the U-Haul location on Tuesday afternoon to pay the monthly rental fee for his locker, said he was shocked upon hearing the news.
"That's pretty bad," Francis told reporters. "I'm not saying it's their (the company's) fault, but how could someone sneak in four dead infants and they not know it? That's bizarre. It's shocking that it's so close to home."
If you have any information on this case, please contact police at (204) 986-3296 or Crime Stoppers at (204) 786-TIPS (8477).

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/Winnipeg-police-to--279908702.html?cx_navSource=d-tiles-1

Wow.  Not sure what you say about this.  That's horrific.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Barrister

See, I knew someone would have a tasteless joke to make about this. 
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Liep

Quote from: Barrister on October 21, 2014, 04:54:06 PM
See, I knew someone would have a tasteless joke to make about this. 

And yet you posted it so we all would have to suffer the tasteless joke. You monster!
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

DGuller

I hope this is an improper body disposal story rather than an infanticide story.  I'd hate to waste a couple of puns I already thought of.

PRC

HVC

I guess now they'll never be able to solve the riddle of how many dead babies you can fit in a storage locker.

Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Eddie Teach

Quote from: HVC on October 21, 2014, 05:40:46 PM
I guess now they'll never be able to solve the riddle of how many dead dead babies you can fit in a storage locker.

Pretty crappy riddle if you don't already have an answer for it.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Scipio

What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt