News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

A Project for 11B4V ?

Started by mongers, October 22, 2014, 01:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Saw this and thought of you.  :)

Whilst I'm not too interested on the focus of improving fuel efficients, I do like the idea of taking a classic car, which you're gonna have to do up anyway, assuming it's a restoration project, so why not make some interesting modifications under the bonnet and elsewhere.

Want a more fuel efficient car? Then redesign it – here's how
43mpg from a Jaguar XJ-S
By John Watkinson, 19 Oct 2014

Crawling from the Wreckage Cars are mass-produced consumer products sold to users who mostly know very little about them. They are optimised to make a profit for the manufacturer, so low build cost is paramount for most manufacturers – which automatically excludes many design and engineering ideas that would raise efficiency. John Watkinson has been busy in the garage and applied those concepts to his own vehicle and found that they work.

Like many others, my greatest problems are, or at least were, energy costs. I've solved my household energy problems, but that's another story. Here I'm talking about solving vehicle efficiency problems – basically reducing the cost and the environmental impact of running a car.

Stylish from the outside but sub-optimal design pervades the car industry

As a designer, one of the problems I find is that consumer products are, almost by definition, sub-optimal and the more cut-throat the market, the more sub-optimal they will be. Cars fall into that category. Under that nice paint job can be some very questionable engineering. Accept that and the process of ceasing to be a consumer has begun.

Running a car has fixed costs like purchase price, tax and insurance, and dynamic costs like fuel and maintenance. Looking at the overall picture, buying a new car that has better fuel consumption and attracts reduced road tax frequently doesn't make economic sense.

Do the sums:

Suppose you drive 5,000 miles (8,046km) a year in a car that does 30mpg and costs say, £205.00 to tax. Fuel and tax are costing you about £1,160. Swap it for a new car that does 40mpg and costs, say, £145 to tax. Fuel and tax are now costing you about £860, a saving of £300 per annum. With that tiny saving you will never recover the massive loss you incur buying a new car.

The only thing that's more stupid is taking out a loan to buy a new car. Unless fuel consumption is gross or it is falling apart, the best thing to do with a car is to keep it and maintain it.

While cars can be modified to have significantly better fuel economy, again the cost of the modifications will never be recovered. But hypermiling is a growing trend and it's a hobby with a purpose – a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

What I am doing is at the radical and scientific end of hypermiling. As far as I can see, the only route that makes economic sense is to apply fuel efficiency modifications to a car that is being restored. As the restoration requires an investment in new parts, it costs no more to replace worn out original parts with different technology. I'm not counting my labour, because I'm doing it for fun and to learn.

Full article with additional links, here:
http://m.theregister.co.uk/2014/10/19/crawling_from_the_wreckage_essay_making_cars_more_fuel_efficient/

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

11B4V

Quotehypermiling

Is nothing new or earth shattering. But one example of it, "drafting" is not something I advocate on the freeway.

QuoteThis was the case when NASCAR's secret -- or at least overlooked -- use of hypermiling during races came into the spotlight, after Dale Earnhardt Jr. won the Lifelock 400 in June 2008 at Michigan International Speedway. The driver was widely criticized for the win, since he'd coasted beyond the pace car several times during caution flags in an effort to hypermile as much as possible. But the driver mentioned after the race that he was hardly the lone hypermiler on the NASCAR circuit: "Everybody's doing it," he told reporters [source: AP]. While drivers on the circuit don't use the word hypermiling, the eco-conscious world bemusedly looked on after news of Earnhardt's win was published. NASCAR had gone green.

Being the world-class driver that he is, Earnhardt Jr. was more interested in getting the checkered flag than saving the Earth. The circuit isn't too worried about conserving gas. The estimated 175,000 gallons it uses during race season is all provided free of charge by official sponsor Sunoco [source: Fryer]. NASCAR has been eco-conscious in the past, though. During the oil embargo in the early 1970s, the racing circuit did its part by reducing the length of some of its races. The Daytona 500, for example, saw only 450 miles driven in the race in 1974 [source: Rovell].

How 'bout those rednecks, eh?

QuoteWhilst I'm not too interested on the focus of improving fuel efficients, I do like the idea of taking a classic car, which you're gonna have to do up anyway, assuming it's a restoration project, so why not make some interesting modifications under the bonnet and elsewhere.

:hmm:

Well this probably fits the bill your talking about. Two examples of my cars. None of which are going to do any serious blasts down the 1/4.

First; The Aspen R/T, 360 cubic inch (5.9 liter) engine estimated 375-400 horsepower at the crank. Estimated highway MPG 18-20

Gearing/Transmission: The aspen's rear gear is 3.23 and it has a four speed manual overdrive transmission with a final gear ratio of .73. @65 mph cruising speed and a 27 inch tire I will be around 1900rpm. That is a nice easy cruising RPM.

Carburetor: 750 cfm Street Demon. This is a high efficiency four barrel performance carb with smaller primary venturi's than a two barrel carb. The secondaries on it are huge. Smaller primaries equal crisper throttle response and less fuel consumption during normal operation. The huge secondaries are only used when you get on it.

Custom Camshaft: A custom ground performance camshaft spec'ed to the motor/drive line combo is far more efficient than an off the shelf (OTS) performance camshaft. The valve timing events are far more synchronized.

Second; The Mirada. 400-425 horspower at the crank

The base engine will be a '95 318 cubic inch (5.2 liter) magnum stroked to 390 cubic inches. It will also have a custom camshaft. Rear gear will be 2.94 with an 904 auto lock-up transmission. Cruising RPM @ 65 mph will be  around 2200 with the lock up trans. The big difference from the Aspen will be the computer controlled Edelbrock fuel injection. Estimated highway MPG 19-22     

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

"Yeah, I've seen that engine.  You order it in the back of the comic book, right next to the sea monkeys."

11B4V

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 22, 2014, 02:37:01 PM
"Yeah, I've seen that engine.  You order it in the back of the comic book, right next to the sea monkeys."

What engine is that?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Admiral Yi

One of the engines in Dazed and Confused.

11B4V

But how do hypermilers do it? Below are some hypermiling tactics that practitioners say increase pocket cash while reducing reliance on fossil fuels. Still, not all hypermiling techniques are safe or the best idea for your car's mechanical longevity. Many of them are extremely dangerous and, some would say, profoundly irresponsible. While we endorse the pursuit of energy independence, in no way do we support or encourage all of these activities. This article serves only to illustrate the lengths to which people will go, not to offer them as fuel-saving tips to our readers.

Overinflate tires Larry Singleton, a systems analyst in Phoenix and the owner of a Toyota Camry Hybrid, overinflates his tires by about 15-20 pounds. "I consider it safe because most of my driving is around town and under 50 miles per hour," said Singleton. According to Singleton, putting less rubber on the road gives him an edge in beating the EPA's rating by decreasing rolling resistance. However, such a practice could lead to uneven tire wear or worse, a loss of vehicle control.

and wears your tires out faster. Moron

Watch the real-time mileage display Some vehicles are equipped with readouts that compute your real-time fuel use on a miles-per-gallon basis. Singleton watches the onboard display and adjusts his throttle inputs based on the readout to maximize his fuel economy.
OK whatever

Pay attention to wind conditions James Cullen, a retired locomotive engineer and Toyota Prius owner, has found that his fuel mileage is significantly impacted by favorable wind conditions. "On long highway rides, having a tailwind has made a big difference in my fuel economy." If you know it's a windy day and you don't have to take that trip, then don't," said Cullen.
:rolleyes:

Place cardboard over the radiator Chuck Thomas said that a cold engine reduces fuel-efficiency. How can you warm up the engine faster? Office Depot's silver-colored cardboard. Yes, that's right, cardboard. Thomas covers his radiator with cardboard to block the wind, thus retaining heat and keeping the engine running at a warmer temperature. Cautioning about the risk of overheating, Thomas said, "I'll take off the piece of cardboard if I know that I'll be driving a long distance, say 100 miles, but it's fine for my daily commute."

Of course, a cold engine's thermostat already remains closed until the engine is warm, so the cardboard isn't necessarily really helping it warm up faster but it will make the car's engine run at a higher operating temperature. In cold climates this might promote better fuel economy.
Oh christ
Pruis engine: 1.8-liter Aluminum 4-cylinder engine - Aluminum block and head, double overhead cam (DOHC), 16-valve VVT-I

Go ahead and monkey with your cars cooling system. Go ahead and over heat that aluminum engine. I dont think the engineers were factoring in "hypermiling retardation" when designing their engines.

Minimize stoplights and stop signs on your route Before leaving for an unfamiliar location, James Cullen maps out his route to ensure that his pathway has the fewest stops. "Every time you stop and start, you waste fuel. So it's easy to go on the Internet and map out a route with fewer stoplights and stop signs," said Cullen. If you can't avoid the stoplights, determine the optimal speed for the timing of the stoplights. "Taking this small step has a marked effect on your fuel economy," said Thomas.
Whatever

Ride the ridge Riding along the painted white line used to be reserved for road bikers looking for a surface with less friction. Friction decreases your fuel economy by adding drag to the vehicle. However, hypermilers now use this white line to increase their fuel economy, a tactic that's especially useful in the rain when puddles form in the grooves of the road, which significantly increases rolling resistance.
So these hipster realize their driving half the car on different traction surfaces. Idiots

Run without the A/C and keep windows closed This tip could have you sweating bullets, but just think about all the water weight you'll lose. Alison McKellar of DeLand, Florida, recently purchased a new Prius. McKellar quickly became interested in conserving fuel and said she "found the strategy on a site for Prius owners. I realize substantial fuel economy gains by not running the A/C, so before I head out for a trip, I make sure to bring plenty of ice water to stay hydrated," said McKellar.
No shit what a revelation.

Baby the brakes while being "surroundings aware" With this technique, hypermilers treat stop signs as though they are yield signs — and slowly glide through. Cullen, a Prius owner, said, "If I see no one is there [at the stop sign], then I just roll through it, which keeps the car in electric mode." This technique is especially important for non-hybrid hypermilers, whose vehicles do not feature regenerative braking, a technology that recharges the hybrid's battery, which runs the electric motor.
So, your price in tickets wont effect your savings with hypermiling.

Driving as if you don't have brakes requires constant anticipation and planning, dubbed "surroundings aware," which hypermiler advocates say promotes defensive driving. But the technique may sometimes require hypermilers to tailgate or take corners at speeds that aren't truly safe, all in the hopes of never touching their brake pedals.
Morons

Keep up with maintenance Even non-hypermilers will find this tactic easy to follow. Keeping your vehicle properly maintained by changing the air filter and oil according to the manufacturer's scheduled tune-ups will have a positive effect on your fuel economy. Hypermilers also recommend regular balancing and aligning of your tires.
What an earth shattering revelation..... :lol: Where did they find this out....the owners manual.

Get rid of what you don't need Hypermilers always travel with the bare essentials. Chuck Thomas said that he never "leaves junk that I don't need in the trunk." He also recommends removing the roof rack when not in use, as it creates unnecessary drag on your vehicle. "The more drag on your vehicle and the heavier it is, the worse mileage you'll get," according to Thomas.
like the jack, spare tire...etc  :lol:

"Potential parking" and "face-out" According to Wayne Gerdes, winner of the 2006 Hybridfest MPG Challenge, "Park at the highest spot in the parking lot and face out." This technique allows you to exit by rolling forward in neutral without turning on the engine, thereby saving gas. The technique does away with the backing up and braking required by nose-in parking, while also reducing the time the engine runs. This strategy is easiest to use where there's at least one corner of the lot without other parked cars.

"Pulse and glide" This is perhaps the most complicated technique employed by hypermilers. On a Prius, the optimal speed for this tactic is around 30-40 mph, said Prius owner Cullen. The first step in the pulse-and-glide technique is to pulse, which is to accelerate the vehicle to around 30 or 40 mph. In the Prius, once the speed has reached 40 mph, ease slightly back on the accelerator until no energy arrows appear on the energy monitor, indicating that the vehicle is neither relying on the engine nor recharging the battery. As a result, the car begins to glide. When the vehicle slows to about 30 mph, repeat the whole process again, pulsing and then gliding.

The pulse-and-glide technique improves fuel economy by minimizing use of the internal combustion engine.
So while your paying attention to the energy monitor your not paying attention to the road and other drivers.

Coaxing an "auto-stop" Similar to the pulse and glide, auto-stop simply involves placing the vehicle's transmission into neutral, turning off the engine and coasting to a stop. This seems innocent enough, but any time a car is moving without the engine running, vehicle control is compromised. Some devoted — and dangerous — hypermilers do this while driving down a hill at rather high speeds, refusing to brake even around corners. Some people might even call this technique irresponsible.
These people need to be punched square in their face. Not while their driving though

Draft at your own risk A "draft-assisted" auto-stop involves tailgating a semitruck. By taking advantage of the draft generated in the truck's wake, wind resistance is markedly reduced for the hypermiler's car. "This is particularly dangerous," said Thomas, "as you must travel dangerously close to the 18-wheelers for the technique's full effect."
Hey Dale Ernhardt, your not at Daytona.

For hypermilers, the task of improving their fuel economy is an entertaining game, albeit a serious one. Every drive for this elite group of fuel-sippers is an opportunity to break their own mileage record. They may never stop — literally — in their quest for ultimate fuel-efficiency.
:rolleyes:

11B4V

lustindarkness

I loooooove hypermillers.  :) For some reason they don't find my antics funny when I recognize them for what they are. :(
Grand Duke of Lurkdom

Ed Anger

Those folks sound painfully dull.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

11B4V

mongers

Quote from: 11B4V on October 22, 2014, 02:25:22 PM

Well this probably fits the bill your talking about. Two examples of my cars. None of which are going to do any serious blasts down the 1/4.

First; The Aspen R/T, 360 cubic inch (5.9 liter) engine estimated 375-400 horsepower at the crank. Estimated highway MPG 18-20

Gearing/Transmission: The aspen's rear gear is 3.23 and it has a four speed manual overdrive transmission with a final gear ratio of .73. @65 mph cruising speed and a 27 inch tire I will be around 1900rpm. That is a nice easy cruising RPM.

Carburetor: 750 cfm Street Demon. This is a high efficiency four barrel performance carb with smaller primary venturi's than a two barrel carb. The secondaries on it are huge. Smaller primaries equal crisper throttle response and less fuel consumption during normal operation. The huge secondaries are only used when you get on it.

Custom Camshaft: A custom ground performance camshaft spec'ed to the motor/drive line combo is far more efficient than an off the shelf (OTS) performance camshaft. The valve timing events are far more synchronized.

Second; The Mirada. 400-425 horspower at the crank

The base engine will be a '95 318 cubic inch (5.2 liter) magnum stroked to 390 cubic inches. It will also have a custom camshaft. Rear gear will be 2.94 with an 904 auto lock-up transmission. Cruising RPM @ 65 mph will be  around 2200 with the lock up trans. The big difference from the Aspen will be the computer controlled Edelbrock fuel injection. Estimated highway MPG 19-22     

Cool stuff, 11B4V. Good to hear about it.  :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"