News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

What your zip code says about you

Started by merithyn, October 17, 2014, 12:18:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

My town is defined with a title of "City Lights" and I guess that's kind of true. It's a small town in area but more population than many surrounding towns, with lots of businesses which probably accounts for the title, and also helps keep property taxes a good deal lower than surrounding towns. Property values are higher in the town though it's not a wealthy type town. Varied population in terms of diversity and financial means.

Savonarola

Quote from: KRonn on October 17, 2014, 01:08:22 PM
My town is defined with a title of "City Lights"

:jealous:

My Detroit residence was "Emerald City."  By Detroit standards the area has a large population of homosexuals; so I thought that was appropriate.
In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, they had five hundred years of democracy and peace—and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock

mongers

Quote from: garbon on October 17, 2014, 08:49:14 AM
Wow the Lower East Side really is crazy. It has a median income of 31k - way below the national median/any of its neighboring zipcodes.

edit: And apparently in my old SF zip, the median income there is also below the national median but not the lowest which looks to be understandably, the Tenderloin.

Gosh, you were earning That much before you moved.  :cool:
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

garbon

Quote from: mongers on October 17, 2014, 01:36:54 PM
Quote from: garbon on October 17, 2014, 08:49:14 AM
Wow the Lower East Side really is crazy. It has a median income of 31k - way below the national median/any of its neighboring zipcodes.

edit: And apparently in my old SF zip, the median income there is also below the national median but not the lowest which looks to be understandably, the Tenderloin.

Gosh, you were earning That much before you moved.  :cool:

Say wha? :unsure:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Richard Hakluyt

Pity that one can't enter one's details and then get assigned a zip code, would be more fun for the non-Americans  :huh:

mongers

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on October 17, 2014, 05:07:51 PM
Pity that one can't enter one's details and then get assigned a zip code, would be more fun for the non-Americans  :huh:

Yes, why not try 90125.

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: mongers on October 17, 2014, 05:18:45 PM

Yes, why not try 90125.

All Good People

Population Density: 5 at a time, but up to 15 possible. Some commuters from Asia.
Median Age: 60
Primary Economic Activities: Harmonic Convergence
Median Income: Is for the bourgeois.

"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

dps

I suppose it's reasonably accurate for the ZIP code I live in now as a whole, but not all that accurate for the specific neighborhood I live in.

Seems very accurate for my hometown.

CountDeMoney

Let's see: 

My zip code for my condo says I'm an overweight black female with sass and flair working for the Social Security Administration who drives a used Mercedes Benz she can't afford.

My zip code for my parents' basement says I get blitzed when I shoot squirrels on the weekends.

KRonn

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 17, 2014, 09:03:25 PM
Let's see: 

My zip code for my condo says I'm an overweight black female with sass and flair working for the Social Security Administration who drives a used Mercedes Benz she can't afford.

My zip code for my parents' basement says I get blitzed when I shoot squirrels on the weekends.

Ah too bad, about grief for shooting the squirrels. When I was growing corn I wanted to shoot the damn squirrels, and it would have been so easy, except for being in a neighborhood with houses all around. My former neighbor managed to pick off a couple of squirrels and a woodchuck when he was there taking care of his aging grandfather. That was good while it lasted but risky. This year I decided to quit growing corn after trapping a few squirrels but then, too soon after they were gone, several more moved in to take their place. Ah well, too bad I'm not on a small farm with more open space. I could handle that kind of zip code.   :)

FunkMonk

Hmm, this thing does not really apply to me at all. :hmm:
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

MadImmortalMan

Quote from: KRonn on October 17, 2014, 09:23:59 PMAh well, too bad I'm not on a small farm with more open space. I could handle that kind of zip code.   :)

I'm getting tired of this city shit myself. Everybody telling me what to do all the time is annoying. And I can't just kill them and be done with it. Total BS.
"Stability is destabilizing." --Hyman Minsky

"Complacency can be a self-denying prophecy."
"We have nothing to fear but lack of fear itself." --Larry Summers

mongers

Quote from: KRonn on October 17, 2014, 09:23:59 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 17, 2014, 09:03:25 PM
Let's see: 

Ah too bad, about grief for shooting the squirrels. When I was growing corn I wanted to shoot the damn squirrels, and it would have been so easy, except for being in a neighborhood with houses all around. My former neighbor managed to pick off a couple of squirrels and a woodchuck when he was there taking care of his aging grandfather. That was good while it lasted but risky. This year I decided to quit growing corn after trapping a few squirrels but then, too soon after they were gone, several more moved in to take their place. Ah well, too bad I'm not on a small farm with more open space. I could handle that kind of zip code.   :)

Interesting story Kronn, must be very annoying; I'm all for nature and having a laugh at the antics of grey squirrels, but they have become super vermin, so some methods of control need to be implemented.

The problems in the UK with introduced animal spieces are quite bad, in part because he have so few surviving predator species, so we have grey squirrels, wood pigeons, canada geese, chinese deer and to a lesser extent other small deer, coming 'out of our ears', but with no natural force to limit their numbers.

mongers

Quote from: MadImmortalMan on October 17, 2014, 06:33:32 PM
Quote from: mongers on October 17, 2014, 05:18:45 PM

Yes, why not try 90125.

All Good People

Population Density: 5 at a time, but up to 15 possible. Some commuters from Asia.
Median Age: 60
Primary Economic Activities: Harmonic Convergence
Median Income: Is for the bourgeois.

:lol:

Well done, I only just spotted that.