News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

HBO to Launch Stand-Alone Streaming Service

Started by garbon, October 15, 2014, 02:23:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Grey Fox

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 19, 2014, 07:55:42 PM
You mean taxpayers paid the entire bill for cable hookups and/or fiber optic?

No fiber back then but afaik, yes.
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Josephus

here's a good article on why this model won't last forever:

http://www.salon.com/2014/10/20/theyre_going_to_start_destroying_each_other_why_tvs_new_golden_age_is_doomed/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

The problem, as the article points out, is that at some point people will still have to chose which streaming companies they want to subscribe to. Do you want both Netflix and HBO? What about Cinemax?

Which is why Spotify, and ohter music streaming sites, work for instance. You don't go to Spotify to listen to 70s prog and Rhapsody to listen to heavy metal. It's all under one streaming service. But if you want to watch Game of Thrones and The Knick as well as boxing, you need to subscribe to multiple streaming services.
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

garbon

Quote from: Josephus on October 20, 2014, 05:27:15 PM
here's a good article on why this model won't last forever:

http://www.salon.com/2014/10/20/theyre_going_to_start_destroying_each_other_why_tvs_new_golden_age_is_doomed/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

The problem, as the article points out, is that at some point people will still have to chose which streaming companies they want to subscribe to. Do you want both Netflix and HBO? What about Cinemax?

Which is why Spotify, and ohter music streaming sites, work for instance. You don't go to Spotify to listen to 70s prog and Rhapsody to listen to heavy metal. It's all under one streaming service. But if you want to watch Game of Thrones and The Knick as well as boxing, you need to subscribe to multiple streaming services.

Yeah, it seems to me that Netflix will die off. HBO isn't going to just have their own content but has a lot of deals with major movie houses.

So yeah it does seem like you typically need about 2-3 services (currently Netflix, Hulu+ and Amazon Prime in US). Amazon Prime though is less of a thing you get for the streaming and more that is added benefit on top of other benefits from Amazon Prime. Netflix (or HBO) gets you broader selection of movies and then Hulu+ gets you current broadcast television.

However, there was a period of time when ABC tried to have its own service but gave up and joined Hulu.

Of course, even if one was to be paying for multiple services (which I don't think currently happens as most people I know tend to share their passwords for these services, excepting Amazon as that is linked to more stuff), it would still be cheaper than what you currently have to pay to sign up for cable. :D -_-
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Berkut on October 17, 2014, 01:55:59 AM
I think we are seeing the start of the end of cable and satellite as content delivery mechanisms.

It simple doesn't make any sense.

They have one key competitive advantage - live sports.
The current model of cable delivery actually subsidizes heavy watchers of live sporting events because the extra charges associated with them are spread over all subscribers within a tier.   
Back in the day when most live sports were broadcast in the air, that could be easily worked around with a decent antenna but those days are long gone.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Jacob

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 19, 2014, 04:26:25 PM
Here's the link to the BBC article that MIM's graphs came from--

Why is broadband more expensive in the US?

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-24528383

Quote"We deregulated high-speed internet access 10 years ago and since then we've seen enormous consolidation and monopolies, so left to their own devices, companies that supply internet access will charge high prices, because they face neither competition nor oversight."

God Bless America! :yeah: :shareholdervalue: :profit!: :fuckyall:

That's unlikely, since we know for fact that a deregulated free market provides the best prices for consumers.

garbon

Quote from: Jacob on October 20, 2014, 06:47:46 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 19, 2014, 04:26:25 PM
Here's the link to the BBC article that MIM's graphs came from--

Why is broadband more expensive in the US?

http://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-24528383

Quote"We deregulated high-speed internet access 10 years ago and since then we've seen enormous consolidation and monopolies, so left to their own devices, companies that supply internet access will charge high prices, because they face neither competition nor oversight."

God Bless America! :yeah: :shareholdervalue: :profit!: :fuckyall:

That's unlikely, since we know for fact that a deregulated free market provides the best prices for consumers.

I mean does anyone here ever argue that monopolies benefit consumers?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on October 20, 2014, 06:47:46 PM

This is not true in all cases.

And of course if the government gave the service away for free that would be an awesome price for consumers.

Siege

"All men are created equal, then some become infantry."

"Those who beat their swords into plowshares will plow for those who don't."

"Laissez faire et laissez passer, le monde va de lui même!"