News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Obama DOJ to Gays: Drop Dead, Fags

Started by Faeelin, June 13, 2009, 11:08:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Scipio on June 13, 2009, 04:32:35 PM
Come on, now.  It's only one 35th of the total US gay population.  :lol:  They should be able to do that, right?

No straight people would show support, of course.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on June 13, 2009, 01:31:09 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 13, 2009, 11:41:43 AM
Quote from: Martinus on June 13, 2009, 11:27:11 AM
I hate to say that, but garbon was right.

I'm glad that you all are beginning to see the light.

Oh, I forgot to tell you yesterday that Cleve Jones called for a washington march at the utah pride.
A million gay march!?  It would certainly be colorful.
Come on, now.  It's only one 35th of the total US gay population.  :lol:  They should be able to do that, right?
Is their population really as high as 10%, I thought it was closer to 5? Either way, Garbon is right that it wouldn't just be gay people showing up.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Habbuku
Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 13, 2009, 05:14:18 PM
Is their population really as high as 10%, I thought it was closer to 5? Either way, Garbon is right that it wouldn't just be gay people showing up.
I really hope you don't teach math.  Does 1/35 = 10% in Rhode Island?
:lol: I'm not letting you get away with that flub by erasing it.

1 million times 35 = 35 million or roughly 10% of the US population.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

Scipio

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 13, 2009, 05:14:18 PM
Quote from: Darth Wagtaros on June 13, 2009, 01:31:09 PM
Quote from: garbon on June 13, 2009, 11:41:43 AM
Quote from: Martinus on June 13, 2009, 11:27:11 AM
I hate to say that, but garbon was right.

I'm glad that you all are beginning to see the light.

Oh, I forgot to tell you yesterday that Cleve Jones called for a washington march at the utah pride.
A million gay march!?  It would certainly be colorful.
I'm just quoting the largest possible number of homos in America, to highlight the tragedy when all seven gay people who agree with each other on gay rights can't be bothered to show the fuck up for the million gay march.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

Faeelin

Quote from: Hansmeister on June 13, 2009, 01:53:17 PM
Who would've thought it?  Dick Cheney a bigger supporter of gay rights than Obama. :lol:

Dude, I know you're not familiar with the idea of a presidency that respects the rule of law, but things aren't as simple as they look.

Neil

Quote from: Faeelin on June 13, 2009, 09:31:16 PM
Who would've thought it?  Dick Cheney a bigger supporter of gay rights than Obama. :lol:

Dude, I know you're not familiar with the idea of a presidency that respects the rule of law, but things aren't as simple as they look.
And the rule of law says:  All fucking fags must fucking hang.   ^_^
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

garbon

Quote from: Scipio on June 13, 2009, 07:06:31 PM
I'm just quoting the largest possible number of homos in America, to highlight the tragedy when all seven gay people who agree with each other on gay rights can't be bothered to show the fuck up for the million gay march.

:yes:

No one showed up in the 70s or 80s either during the first two gay marches on Washington.  Nor has anyone bothered showing up on the national synchronized protests thus far. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

garbon

Quote from: Neil on June 13, 2009, 09:48:34 PM
And the rule of law says:  All fucking fags must fucking hang.   ^_^

Martinus isn't a "fucking" fag, what happens to him?

garbon

Cheney supports gay marriage, Obama does not. :mellow:

Neil

Quote from: garbon on June 13, 2009, 09:53:50 PM
Quote from: Neil on June 13, 2009, 09:48:34 PM
And the rule of law says:  All fucking fags must fucking hang.   ^_^

Martinus isn't a "fucking" fag, what happens to him?
As a pejorative, not as a verb.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

jimmy olsen

You trying to be ironic?

1 Karma Chameleon point

Faeelin

Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 13, 2009, 10:27:02 PM
You trying to be ironic?

How so? Do you watnt to give the president the power to say what laws are constitutional and aren't?

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Faeelin on June 13, 2009, 10:30:11 PM
Quote from: jimmy olsen on June 13, 2009, 10:27:02 PM
You trying to be ironic?

How so? Do you watnt to give the president the power to say what laws are constitutional and aren't?
No and I don't see how that's an issue, as you noted, the administration could have had the justice department argue that the law was unconstitutional if they so desired.

The issue is pretty simple, like Garbon said "Cheney supports gay marriage, Obama does not."

1 Karma Chameleon point

Martinus

Not sure if you are actually saying what I think you are saying, Faeelin, but there are three "levels" here which your response to Hans seems to confuse.

Yes, the POTUS has to uphold the law, which means following it. The POTUS is also, technically, a representative of the defendant in constitutional challenges to said laws. But there is nothing in the rule of law principle that requires the POTUS (through DoJ) to make specific arguments in defense of such laws when their constitutionality is challenged.

This third level is where the DoJ's (and indirectly, Obama's) behavior is disgraceful and shocking, and it has nothing to do with upholding the rule of law.

Faeelin

Quote from: Martinus on June 14, 2009, 03:52:27 AM
Not sure if you are actually saying what I think you are saying, Faeelin, but there are three "levels" here which your response to Hans seems to confuse.

Yes, the POTUS has to uphold the law, which means following it. The POTUS is also, technically, a representative of the defendant in constitutional challenges to said laws. But there is nothing in the rule of law principle that requires the POTUS (through DoJ) to make specific arguments in defense of such laws when their constitutionality is challenged.

Oh, sure. The arguments are actively abhorrent.

The reaction will be interesting. There's a strong "Well, it sucks, but what are the gays gonna do, vote Republican?" about Obama's homophobia. But it's not clear to me why that's so unrealistic.

After all, McCain has now gone on the records saying he'd appoint a commission to study DADT, which is more than Obama will do over the next four years, despite the majority of the nation opposing it. Romney and Giuliani supported civil unions, Cheney's now on the record supporting gay marriage.

If you look at polling numbers, you'd expect around 70% of the country to support civil unions by 2012.  (http://www.fivethirtyeight.com/2009/04/two-national-polls-for-first-time-show.html). 

Question would be who'd be running, I guess, but it prettly clearly won't be Palin, and Jindal is Jindal. My guess is you'll get a Republican state governor from the midwest or Northeast, so...

Hrmm.