News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

"Audit the Fed"

Started by The Minsky Moment, February 03, 2015, 07:39:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alfred russel

Quote from: Jacob on February 05, 2015, 12:08:01 PM
Yeah, isn't the point of the "audit the Fed" thing to get the audit information out so it can be used for partisan political purposes (and thus compromise confidentiality)?

There are a number of institutions that can be used to confidentially audit an entity.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Jacob

Quote from: alfred russel on February 05, 2015, 12:15:03 PM
Quote from: Jacob on February 05, 2015, 12:08:01 PM
Yeah, isn't the point of the "audit the Fed" thing to get the audit information out so it can be used for partisan political purposes (and thus compromise confidentiality)?

There are a number of institutions that can be used to confidentially audit an entity.

Yes, of course. As JR says, the Fed is audited.

I'm getting the impression that the "audit the fed" thing he's talking about is more about the how and to what end.

The Minsky Moment

Part of the reason I put "audit" in scare quotes is that what is being talked about in these bills is not an audit in the usual sense of the word; i.e. an audit of the accounts of the banks to verify that they fairly reflect their true condition.  That is already done by law and the Fed's accounts are very transparent.  Thus, open market operations and foreign central bank transactions are subject to audit -- despite the statutory exemption - in the sense that those transactions and operations impact on the accounts which are subject to audit.  Under Dodd-Frank, the GAO also has power of oversight even over the exempted operations for the purposes of verifying operational integrity, strength of internal controls, integrity of collateral policies, and fraud and abuse - although any confidential information it reviews must remain confidential in its report.

What the GAO can't do is carry out economic or policy evaluations of Fed policy, by examining internal policy deliberations.  That is what is being placed in the cross-hairs here.  The Fed of course is accountable for its economic and policy actions - formally via Humphrey-Hawkins and informally through Bernanke and Yellen's voluntary release of deliberative minutes and the mass of articles, press releases, and research publications from individual governors, their staffs, and the regional banks.  One may think Fed policy confused, or wrongheaded, but is not hidden.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on February 05, 2015, 11:28:35 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on February 04, 2015, 06:34:27 PM
Are they still worried about counting the gold bars at Fort Knox?

There aren't any gold bars at Fort Knox.
These days Fort Knox doesn't even have the armor brigade they used to.
Now, is only HRC, Human Resources Command.

Your information is inaccurate.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

alfred russel

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on February 05, 2015, 12:33:41 PM

What the GAO can't do is carry out economic or policy evaluations of Fed policy, by examining internal policy deliberations.

I agree that shouldn't be audited.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014