Huckabee Threatens To Leave GOP Over Gay Marriage, Abortion

Started by garbon, October 10, 2014, 12:20:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Tyr on October 11, 2014, 07:39:36 PM
I think totally the opposite there. As time goes on abortion will become more and more common place anf acceptable. It is obvious even now that a fetus is no more human than the spunk in a sock and as technology advances and abortion becomes ever quicker, cheaper and safer, it will come to be seen as a viable method of contraception in its own right

It's already very quick, cheap and safe.  You stick a suction in the cootchie and out it comes.

Unless you think a baby the instant before birth is not recognizably human, I don't see how you can see that a fetus is no more recognizably human than spunk in a sock. 

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 11, 2014, 08:24:25 PM
It's already very quick, cheap and safe.  You stick a suction in the cootchie and out it comes.

Unless you think a baby the instant before birth is not recognizably human, I don't see how you can see that a fetus is no more recognizably human than spunk in a sock. 

Way to drop loaded language to polarize your position.  A fetus, no, an embryo, yes.  There's been general agreement for some time that the line is when a fetus becomes externally viable with minimal medical intervention, and that's exactly the line of reasoning that's led to late-term and partial-birth abortions being banned (which I'm pro-choice, and still completely agree with).

Experience bij!

Admiral Yi

I don't know what you're trying to say.  A fetus no what?  An embryo yes what?

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 11, 2014, 11:19:11 PM
I don't know what you're trying to say.  A fetus no what?  An embryo yes what?

Not recognizably human?  You know, answering the question you posed?  I realize you probably expected it to be a rhetorical zinger, but the loaded language seemed a bit disingenuous.
Experience bij!

Eddie Teach

He was making a comparison operation, not an equality one. A day old fetus is more "recognizably human" than a sperm cell. At least to a scientist with a microscope.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

alfred russel

They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Martinus

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 11, 2014, 05:50:10 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on October 11, 2014, 03:42:28 PM
I think Yi defines the word etymologically rather than based on use or the dictionary.

What's more relevant in this case is Marty's definition, which is anyone who opposes any gay policy.

What is a "gay policy"? Is it a policy that is attracted to other policies of the same sex?  :huh:

Martinus

Quote from: OttoVonBismarck on October 11, 2014, 06:13:49 PM
Of course, many of those who are most ardently against abortion are also against sex education and contraception

That is pretty much the gist of it. This is because most of the staunchly anti-abortion voters do so not out of some deeply thought through moral reasoning, but because they are "punishing the slut".

Just as most of the staunchly anti-gay voters do so because of homophobia, not because of any other reason.

GOP needs that "nasty and stupid" vote to be able to push through economic policies that benefit the financial elite (because, without it, they would end up like liberal parties in Europe which usually poll between 5% and 15%).

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 11, 2014, 11:28:49 PM
Not recognizably human?  You know, answering the question you posed?  I realize you probably expected it to be a rhetorical zinger, but the loaded language seemed a bit disingenuous.

I didn't pose any question.

Don't you have it backwards?  Shouldn't it be an embryo is not recognizably human but a fetus is?

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 12, 2014, 01:52:07 AM
Quote from: DontSayBanana on October 11, 2014, 11:28:49 PM

I didn't pose any question.

Don't you have it backwards?  Shouldn't it be an embryo is not recognizably human but a fetus is?

I think that's his point.  A few cells clinging together is not recognizably human.  If you were to look at a fetus of a certain age you would be to recognizance as human rather then say, a fish or a bird.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

If that's his point why did he flip out on me?  That was my point.

grumbler

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 12, 2014, 02:29:02 AM
Its DSB.  Just roll with it.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 12, 2014, 02:29:02 AM
The inanity of DSB's statements is mitigated only by their incomprehensibility.