News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Sven Pot

Started by The Brain, October 07, 2014, 01:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on October 07, 2014, 02:05:47 PM
But apparently it can't be done for cheaper.  Government itself wasn't able to provide that service at that price (or if they could why would they ever have privatized it?).

Why would a right-wing government privatize a public service? Perhaps for ideological reasons?

The Brain

Quote from: Liep on October 07, 2014, 01:43:13 PM
Quote from: The Brain on October 07, 2014, 01:37:10 PM
It's 600 billion crowns ($84 billion*.15=12.6), which is quite a lot in a country like Sweden. I don't really follow the rest you say, do you think that the state shouldn't use private sector suppliers?

I'm saying that when it does it seems prudent to demand that the money be used on welfare service rather than to aim for more profit.

It's not 15%, the whole SEK 600 billion sector is affected. It's not like profit will be fine for 5% of the sector if the private part (badadum) increases to 20%.

When the state buys roads, cars, food, etc do you think profit should be OK?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

grumbler

Quote from: Liep on October 07, 2014, 02:02:33 PM
Sure, and I'm sure they already do. But if a welfare provider lives up to that and still comes out with a profit, isn't it waste of taxpayer money to next year pay the same when it can be done cheaper?

:huh:  So, if a government contractor makes a profit, then the government should reduce the payment next year so the provider doesn't make a profit? How does that make sense?  What provider will work for free?
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on October 07, 2014, 02:06:39 PM
That's a fairly ideological position, and the Swedish government and its voters takes a different ideological position.

Feel free to share a link, because your insight into the Swedish voter was not disclosed in the OP.

Valmy

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 07, 2014, 02:04:52 PM
But we can't know it can be done cheaper.  And there are reasons to believe it can't.

That's a fairly ideological position, and the Swedish government and its voters takes a different ideological position.

Yet they set up this entire very successful system on Yi's assumption and nothing so far has shown otherwise.  In fact decades of Swedish experience with the welfare state demonstrates this as well.  So are we to assume that the Swedish government and voters are idiots?  It just doesn't make any sense to shake up and destabilize a system that has proven a success for petty ideological reasons.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Valmy

Quote from: grumbler on October 07, 2014, 02:12:30 PM
Sure, and I'm sure they already do. But if a welfare provider lives up to that and still comes out with a profit, isn't it waste of taxpayer money to next year pay the same when it can be done cheaper?

:huh:  So, if a government contractor makes a profit, then the government should reduce the payment next year so the provider doesn't make a profit? How does that make sense?  What provider will work for free?

Either that or force the contractor to pay out more in services.  Which would lead to all sorts of weirdness.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

The Brain

But we can't know it can be done cheaper.  And there are reasons to believe it can't.

No it's an empirical position. For instance, Swedish school vouchers are typically 85% of government costs for a kid. If a private school can make a profit from 85% of what the government non-profit school gets, how do we know that it could be done cheaper? Rhetorical.

CountDeMoney

I didn't know Pol had a brother.

Really, people? We had to wait until page 2 for that gag?

Admiral Yi

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 07, 2014, 02:21:33 PM

:mellow:

The Brain

I don't get it.

Liep

Quote from: Valmy on October 07, 2014, 02:13:40 PM

Yet they set up this entire very successful system on Yi's assumption and nothing so far has shown otherwise.  In fact decades of Swedish experience with the welfare state demonstrates this as well.  So are we to assume that the Swedish government and voters are idiots?  It just doesn't make any sense to shake up and destabilize a system that has proven a success for petty ideological reasons.

Private welfare contractors are still pretty new.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Liep

I'm not saying private welfare providers shouldn't have any profits, then there'd be no private welfare providers. But if the profits are large it's sensible to look at what they provide and how they achieve this profit.

And I can understand why people want to be assured that the welfare receivers aren't shafted because some contractors want a larger profit.
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

The Brain

Quote from: Liep on October 07, 2014, 02:28:18 PM

I'm not saying private welfare providers shouldn't have any profits, then there'd be no private welfare providers. But if the profits are large it's sensible to look at what they provide and how they achieve this profit.

And I can understand why people want to be assured that the welfare receivers aren't shafted because some contractors want a larger profit.

It's not clear to me why questions of quality and price couldn't be handled through normal purchasing processes.

Eddie Teach

It occurred to me, but I didn't want to face Yi's stoneface.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

Admiral Yi

Guys, that was the fucking joke Brain was making. :mellow:

There isn't really a person named Sven Pot.  Pot is not a common Swedish surname.