Obama outperforms Reagan on job growth and investing

Started by merithyn, October 06, 2014, 01:17:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

Quote from: Siege on October 06, 2014, 04:21:19 PM
Obamo outperforms Reagan?

Hahahaha, hahaha, hahahahaha.......Hahahaha.

Only if you look at facts. If you look at Fox News talking points, the picture is much less clear.

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on October 06, 2014, 01:29:24 PM
Then why are we still calling this one the Great Recession?
Because it was worse.

http://www.minneapolisfed.org/publications_papers/studies/recession_perspective/index.cfm
The US, at least, has recovered to pre-recession peak.

In the UK we managed that this year.
http://www.theguardian.com/news/datablog/interactive/2012/sep/27/recessions-compared-1930-2008

In Europe on the other hand :bleeding:

QuoteI'm unconvinced that the drop in labor participation can be fully attributed to demographic trends.
I agree.
Let's bomb Russia!

CountDeMoney

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on October 06, 2014, 03:44:17 PM
Federal employees increased significantly under Reagan (either total or just civilian exec branch), whereas the count has decreased slightly under Obama. 

"Slightly"? 

Valmy

No wonder government employees like Siege prefer Reagan.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Razgovory

Quote from: Siege on October 06, 2014, 04:21:19 PM
Obamo outperforms Reagan?

Hahahaha, hahaha, hahahahaha.......Hahahaha.

It is heresy, the author should be thrown off the Laffer curve.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

jimmy olsen

What's the real unemployment rate when you add in all the long term jobless?
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 06, 2014, 07:53:04 PM

Politically inconvenient.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

DGuller

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 06, 2014, 07:53:04 PM
The long term jobless are still count as unemployed if they're looking for a job.  :huh:

jimmy olsen

A lot of them have given up. They should still count.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

alfred russel

It is hard to make the case the recession is over or that we are in boom times when the middle class is so clearly stagnating.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Admiral Yi

Quote from: alfred russel on October 06, 2014, 08:21:52 PM
It is hard to make the case the recession is over or that we are in boom times when the middle class is so clearly stagnating.

It's very easy to make the case the recession is over, since it's definitional.

Razgovory

I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 06, 2014, 08:17:27 PM

What are you getting at? Are you saying that long-term unemployment - aka "people who have given up" as well as "homemakers" - was significantly different during Reagan's years compared to Obama's? If so, feel free to tell us how you're reaching that conclusion.

If you don't think there's much of a difference, then what does it matter when the topic of discussion is comparing Reagan's performance with Obama's?

Or are you saying that we should include long-term unemployed during Obama's years but not during Reagan's, so we can preserve Reagan's apparent status as being good for the economy in spite of inconvenient facts?

... or something else?

DGuller

Quote from: jimmy olsen on October 06, 2014, 08:17:27 PM
And they do, in U4, U5, and U6 indices of unemployment.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Jacob on October 06, 2014, 09:49:45 PM

What are you getting at? Are you saying that long-term unemployment - aka "people who have given up" as well as "homemakers" - was significantly different during Reagan's years compared to Obama's? If so, feel free to tell us how you're reaching that conclusion.

If you don't think there's much of a difference, then what does it matter when the topic of discussion is comparing Reagan's performance with Obama's?

Or are you saying that we should include long-term unemployed during Obama's years but not during Reagan's, so we can preserve Reagan's apparent status as being good for the economy in spite of inconvenient facts?

... or something else?

I have no idea what the long term unemployment rate in the 80s was. I'd like to know so that it can be compared to the long term unemployment rate now. Otherwise we're just throwing around pointless numbers that don't mean anything. You can't draw an accurate conclusion over whose better with those.

1 Karma Chameleon point