News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Naval history buffs to me!

Started by Brazen, October 06, 2014, 11:18:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: crazy canuck on October 07, 2014, 11:45:22 AM
Yep, no need to go down the Grumbler rabbit hole in a perfectly good thread.

:lmfao:  I'd bet 9 of 10 readers of this thread would agree that I have contributed far, far more to make this a "perfectly good thread" than either you or Malthus.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Malthus

Quote from: grumbler on October 07, 2014, 01:48:38 PM
Quote from: crazy canuck on October 07, 2014, 11:45:22 AM
Yep, no need to go down the Grumbler rabbit hole in a perfectly good thread.

:lmfao:  I'd bet 9 of 10 readers of this thread would agree that I have contributed far, far more to make this a "perfectly good thread" than either you or Malthus.

No-one (least of all me) is doubting your knowledge of naval subjects and contributions. You know a lot and you are smart.

You are just impossible to discuss anything with.  That's all.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

grumbler

Quote from: Malthus on October 07, 2014, 02:00:11 PM
You are just impossible to discuss anything with.  That's all.

For you and CC, that's probably true.  For people willing to debate or discuss intellectually or humorously and not emotionally, that's not  true.  Again, I have no idea why you picked this fight or why you are repeating the same tired arguments-by-assertion that it is my fault that you can't start a debate about what you can see, but at least you have dropped (when faced with evidence to the contrary) the absurd assertion that I cannot ever admit when I am wrong.  That's progress.

The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

CountDeMoney

What do you need when you've got two lawyers squaring off against grumbler in a grudge caged match over semantics?
More lawyers.

Barrister

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 07, 2014, 02:15:09 PM
What's do you need when you've got two lawyers squaring off against grumbler in a grudge caged match over semantics?
More lawyers.

You rang?
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

CountDeMoney

grumbler

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 07, 2014, 02:17:05 PM
Reinforcements!  Get 'em, g!

BB and I disagree on a lot of things, but generally pretty amicably.  He doesn't pull the Malthusian/CC the-reason-you-won't-admit-you-are wrong-about-this-is-because-you-never-ever-admit-you-are-wrong schtick.

Bayraktar!

The Larch

Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 07, 2014, 09:46:55 AM
Quote from: Brazen on October 07, 2014, 05:25:57 AM
Brilliant, thanks guys, just the sort of "I'm actually interested in this stuff" insight I was hoping for :P

There was Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes short story, "The Adventure of the Bruce-Partington Plans", revolving around stolen submarine plans.

I really hate my education.

Like in the Billy Wilder movie? I wasn't aware it was based on a Conan Doyle story.

crazy canuck

Quote from: grumbler on October 07, 2014, 02:33:19 PM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on October 07, 2014, 02:17:05 PM
Reinforcements!  Get 'em, g!

BB and I disagree on a lot of things, but generally pretty amicably.  He doesn't pull the Malthusian/CC the-reason-you-won't-admit-you-are wrong-about-this-is-because-you-never-ever-admit-you-are-wrong schtick.

Do you always project this much?

grumbler

Quote from: grumbler on October 07, 2014, 10:47:13 AM
BTW, when tempted to moan about who "can't admit or concede anything," look in the mirror first.  I conceded a point about Twin peaks earlier today, when faced with evidence that my earlier stand was based on incomplete evidence.  Can you point to a concession of wrong you have recently made in an argument?

BTW, the response to this challenge was exactly as expected:  a red herring argument, followed by the sound of crickets.  :lol:

Bayraktar!

Malthus

Quote from: grumbler on October 09, 2014, 06:34:25 AM
Quote from: grumbler on October 07, 2014, 10:47:13 AM
BTW, when tempted to moan about who "can't admit or concede anything," look in the mirror first.  I conceded a point about Twin peaks earlier today, when faced with evidence that my earlier stand was based on incomplete evidence.  Can you point to a concession of wrong you have recently made in an argument?

BTW, the response to this challenge was exactly as expected:  a red herring argument, followed by the sound of crickets.  :lol:

Shrug. You may well be right about me. I, too, may rarely if ever concede anything. You also may well be right that the problem here is me and not you. I have no real interest in combing through past threads to find places where I have conceded stuff.

All I know is that *I* find debating with you isn't much fun. Discussing, sharing a joke - yes. Asking for views - yes. Debating - no.

Others may have a different experience.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

Hopefully she got the info she was after, before you monkeys shitted up her thread.  :lol:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

grumbler

Quote from: 11B4V on October 09, 2014, 11:55:06 AM
Hopefully she got the info she was after, before you monkeys shitted up her thread.  :lol:
I gave her a lot of stuff, before people started shitting up her thread.  :cool:

But, frankly, there wasn't much to say after the data dump.  As I pointed out, Brazen was asking about maybe the most under-reported and under-appreciated fighting service of the war.  I wouldn't have known much about it, had I not worked in the submarine business and written a submarine design history for the US Navy.

Bayraktar!

Ed Anger

Ank is being fired out of a torpedo tube right now off the Syrian coast, armed only with a garrote and list of targets.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive