New York climate march draws hundreds of thousands

Started by jimmy olsen, September 21, 2014, 11:05:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 26, 2014, 06:42:21 PM
The Green Party are too invested, but even then my friends who are in the green movement (if not party) have all shifted on nuclear because of fracking and the fact that we're not running out of oil anymore. But George Monbiot for example had a very big nuclear conversion recently and lots take his word very seriously.

Which is why I now tend to avoid them.

Though I think some of the anti-ism has turned to make fracking the big shibboleth, pity really as there might be a short term role for it in moving away from coal and also ensuring more of the environmental impact of high energy dependency is met or dealt with nearer to home.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Tamas

Quote from: mongers on September 26, 2014, 07:08:44 PM
Quote from: Sheilbh on September 26, 2014, 06:42:21 PM
The Green Party are too invested, but even then my friends who are in the green movement (if not party) have all shifted on nuclear because of fracking and the fact that we're not running out of oil anymore. But George Monbiot for example had a very big nuclear conversion recently and lots take his word very seriously.

Which is why I now tend to avoid them.

Though I think some of the anti-ism has turned to make fracking the big shibboleth, pity really as there might be a short term role for it in moving away from coal and also ensuring more of the environmental impact of high energy dependency is met or dealt with nearer to home.

But you are exploding stuff underground man. That is like new and never tried

Sheilbh

Quote from: mongers on September 26, 2014, 07:08:44 PM
The answer is a gas and nuclear mix in the medium term with growing use on renewables afterwards.

One of the trouble with fracking from an environmentalist perspective is that while we're nowhere near 'peak oil'. We're swimming in the stuff now. So their argument for the last 20 years no longer works and they need something else, which is more difficult.

Incidentally there are issues with fracking, I've a friend in the oil industry who says the way it's been done and the safety and environmental standards in the US are shocking which probably helps stoke fears (he compared it to the early days of the oil industry), but I think the way it'd be done in Europe would cause minimal issues for anyone.
Let's bomb Russia!