Dispatches from the State Ministry of Truth

Started by Jacob, September 22, 2014, 10:05:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monoriu

Quote from: Jacob on October 03, 2014, 09:53:11 AM
Quote from: PJL on October 03, 2014, 09:04:52 AM
I wonder how many of the anti Occupy protestors are Russian mainland Chinese special agents.

I'm sure there are plenty of locals, but from what I've been hearing there are lots of Mandarin speakers as well which seem to imply they've been organized somewhere away from Hong Kong.

I think it is time the democrats realise that not everybody in HK agree with their actions.  I for one am outraged about their tactics. 

Barrister

Quote from: Monoriu on October 03, 2014, 09:58:28 AM
I wonder how many of the anti Occupy protestors are Russian mainland Chinese special agents.

I'm sure there are plenty of locals, but from what I've been hearing there are lots of Mandarin speakers as well which seem to imply they've been organized somewhere away from Hong Kong.

I think it is time the democrats realise that not everybody in HK agree with their actions.  I for one am outraged about their tactics.

There is no tactic they could try that would not have you outraged.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Monoriu

Quote from: Barrister on October 03, 2014, 10:00:38 AM
Quote from: Monoriu on October 03, 2014, 09:58:28 AM

There is no tactic they could try that would not have you outraged.

They organise huge marches on 1 July every year, and I have no problem with that.  Taking roads and preventing others from using them is an entirely different matter. 

Monoriu

My stance is very clear.  As far as demonstration tactics are concerned, anything that is legal is acceptable.  Anything that is illegal is unacceptable.  Not that hard to understand.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: Monoriu on October 03, 2014, 10:14:54 AM
My stance is very clear.  As far as demonstration tactics are concerned, anything that is legal is acceptable.  Anything that is illegal is unacceptable.  Not that hard to understand.

And what difference do you actually see between legal and illegal demonstration tactics?  The legal ones sound about as useful as a strongly worded letters.  Affecting change is hard.  Also, the secret: the government's designed to protect itself.  It usually takes something "illegal" to force a change of the system itself.
Experience bij!

The Larch

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

DontSayBanana

Experience bij!

derspiess

Quote from: The Larch on October 03, 2014, 10:52:00 AM
Mono: Lawful Evil.

I'd say more Lawful Neutral.  I don't think he means any harm to the protesters-- he just wants to get back to normal life.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

derspiess

Quote from: Monoriu on October 02, 2014, 10:15:11 PM
Quote from: derspiess on October 02, 2014, 10:11:52 PM
Do they still drink a lot of cognac in HK?

No clue.  What do you mean?

I read back in the 90s that HK had the highest per capita consumption of cognac.  Was just wondering if it's still big there.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

The Minsky Moment

Cognac (and similar) was often used pre-Xi to gift officials.  Portable, high-value commodities are useful in a country with a lot of transactional needs but a non-tradable currency.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Admiral Yi

Does that mean sales of $40 bottles of PBR have dropped as well?  :(

Maximus

Quote from: derspiess on October 03, 2014, 11:08:42 AM
I'd say more Lawful Neutral.  I don't think he means any harm to the protesters-- he just wants to get back to normal life.
In every system I've played in, the good-evil axis is defined as altruism vs selfishness. I would say it's a pretty good definition in real life too.

Maximus

Quote from: Monoriu on October 03, 2014, 09:56:46 AM
Here, you need to apply for a permit to conduct a protest in advance, and you need to agree with the police on the route and timing.  Otherwise, it is illegal and the police are empowered to clear the area and make charges.
There's little point to a protest that has to get permission to occur.

Jacob

Quote from: Maximus on October 03, 2014, 12:49:09 PM
In every system I've played in, the good-evil axis is defined as altruism vs selfishness. I would say it's a pretty good definition in real life too.

Not a bad basis, but there are plenty of people who elevate selfishness to a virtue.