Dispatches from the State Ministry of Truth

Started by Jacob, September 22, 2014, 10:05:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sheilbh

Quote from: Monoriu on September 28, 2014, 06:03:06 PM
Quote from: Neil on September 28, 2014, 02:03:20 PM

The real danger is ten years from now when huge cohorts of unemployable people kick in his door and proceed to rob and murder him.

HK really doesn't have an unemployment problem.  The unemployment rate is close to 3% and I don't think it is possible to go lower than that.  The real problem is working poor.  The people are working, but the pay is low, there is no hope for advancement and the wages aren't enough to sustain a family.
Well when you put it like that it's easy to see why you're annoyed at them.
Let's bomb Russia!

Ed Anger

Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

Jacob

Quote from: Monoriu on September 28, 2014, 05:58:37 PM
Quote from: Jacob on September 28, 2014, 01:30:11 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on September 28, 2014, 10:13:37 AM
I think they should do better in their exams, and join the finance sector :contract:

You yourself said that only a tiny minority of people will be able to join the finance sector. So where does that leave the people who cannot?

That's the point.  There is a set number of people who can get the good jobs.  The exams are graded on a curve.  Only a certain percentage will win no matter what.  If one person does better, another will automatically become worse by default.  :contract:

And so, in your way, you agree with me that the people out there protesting are following one of the few rational courses of action available to them. Because every one of them who succeeds in following your advice knocks someone else down into the position where it makes sense to them to take to the streets to agitate for democracy.

Monoriu

Quote from: Jacob on September 28, 2014, 06:21:30 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on September 28, 2014, 05:58:37 PM
Quote from: Jacob on September 28, 2014, 01:30:11 PM
Quote from: Monoriu on September 28, 2014, 10:13:37 AM
I think they should do better in their exams, and join the finance sector :contract:

You yourself said that only a tiny minority of people will be able to join the finance sector. So where does that leave the people who cannot?

That's the point.  There is a set number of people who can get the good jobs.  The exams are graded on a curve.  Only a certain percentage will win no matter what.  If one person does better, another will automatically become worse by default.  :contract:

And so, in your way, you agree with me that the people out there protesting are following one of the few rational courses of action available to them. Because every one of them who succeeds in following your advice knocks someone else down into the position where it makes sense to them to take to the streets to agitate for democracy.

My own unscientific estimate is that the exam fails 95% of the students  ;)

Monoriu

Off to work now.  Wish me luck  :)

Valmy

Quote from: Monoriu on September 28, 2014, 07:04:43 PM
Off to work now.  Wish me luck  :)

Good luck my friend.  Hong Kong is lucky to have a bureaucrat as devoted to duty as yourself.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

CountDeMoney

Neil

The real danger is ten years from now when huge cohorts of unemployable people kick in his door and proceed to rob and murder him.

HK really doesn't have an unemployment problem.  The unemployment rate is close to 3% and I don't think it is possible to go lower than that.  The real problem is working poor.  The people are working, but the pay is low, there is no hope for advancement and the wages aren't enough to sustain a family.
Over time automation and the mainland will destroy their jobs.  And then you will die.
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

Monoriu

Back at work.  Everybody I know is back.  The rioters have called for a general strike.  Going back to work and doing my part to help run the HK government bureacracy is my way of expressing solidarity with the police and the government.  The underground trains are packed, because buses aren't running.  The office workers are still working, and the HK stock exchange is open for business as usual.  Strangely, no one speaks in the train station or on the trains.  It is eerily quiet.  I guess everybody has a heavy heart that the fucks have wrecked our city. 

Monoriu

Quote from: Neil on September 28, 2014, 07:39:18 PM

Over time automation and the mainland will destroy their jobs.  And then you will die.

Their jobs have already been destroyed.  The median salary in HK is around $11,000 per month (US$1,400).  How much does a square foot of housing costs these days?  Around the same.  90%+ of the population have no hope whatsoever of buying his own place.  Young married couples either have to stay with their parents, or rent illegal flats of less than 100 square feet large that takes away half their income. 

CountDeMoney

Personally, I'd rather the rioters leave you alone, because I'd much prefer the United States Navy glass you with an SLBM when it all kicks off in 2025.

Monoriu

I can see the rioters from my window.  Police have deployed SWAT teams, anti-terror units and airport special police to defend this place.  The roads in front of the Chief Executive's office are like a maze with obstacles deployed by police.  Hundreds of tear gas grenades were thrown last night.  No one is dead, even though tens of thousands of rioters were present.  This speaks tons of police restraint. 

garbon

Oh yeah I always think wow such restraint has been shown when police don't slaughter their citizenry. :lol: :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DontSayBanana

Quote from: celedhring on September 28, 2014, 09:57:01 AM
In defence of Mono, I have read the book and I'd have not got that building is meant to be the Ministry of Truth.

How?  Given that the book describes it as a pyramid patrolled by armed guards with automatic weapons, that still pretty much matches the book's description exactly.
Experience bij!

Monoriu

The police do have two armoured cars equipped with non-lethal sonic technology.  I hope they use them as soon as possible and clear the fucks from our roads.