Coyotes have crossed the Panama Canal

Started by jimmy olsen, September 20, 2014, 04:36:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmy olsen

Coyote delenda est! Reintroduce the Grey Wolf! :mad:

http://retrieverman.net/2014/09/15/coyotes-have-crossed-the-panama-canal/

Coyotes have crossed the Panama Canal

September 15, 2014 by retrieverman

A few years ago, I noted that it wouldn't be long before coyotes crossed the Panama Canal. I even made an April Fools prank that coyotes had even made it to Colombia.

It turns out that these animals are pretty darn hard to parody, because it turns out that an article recently published in the journal Checklist has documented their presence beyond the canal.

They are now South America bound. If they do make it to Colombia they will be the first wild Canis to be in found in South America since the dire wolf went extinct.

Researchers found that Panamanian coyotes prefer to inhabit cattle ranching areas, mainly because those areas are also where cougars and jaguars have largely been extirpated. The also readily prey upon poultry, calves, and small dogs in these areas.

The coyote now ranges from Labrador to Alaska south to Panama.

Right now, there are only two species of canid that can be found in both North and South America:  the bush dog, which could be a potential competitor for the southbound coyotes, and Urocyon gray fox, which has been given top billing on this site in recent months.

I would almost put my money that one day there will be three. Canis latrans keeps pushing the boundaries of what we think we know about it.

They aren't just survivors.

The are thrivers.

We kill off the big predators, and they sail in to exploit the new niches that are opened up.

We've come up with all sorts of creative ways to kill them, and they've just expanded– almost to spite us.

And you have to admire that.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Caliga

A few nights ago I heard a coyote take something around here... probably a chicken or small dog.
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Martinus

Don't worry - they will just get bogged down in inane failed attempts to catch road runners.

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

Malthus

QuoteWe've come up with all sorts of creative ways to kill them, and they've just expanded– almost to spite us

Next thing you know, they will be comming back the other way with packages of cocaine clutched in their maws.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

derspiess

They're cute animals.  I don't mind the noise they make outside my window at night.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Capetan Mihali

"The internet's completely over. [...] The internet's like MTV. At one time MTV was hip and suddenly it became outdated. Anyway, all these computers and digital gadgets are no good. They just fill your head with numbers and that can't be good for you."
-- Prince, 2010. (R.I.P.)

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Capetan Mihali on September 23, 2014, 11:40:34 AM
Panama Canal : Russia-Ukraine border :: coyotes : Russian soldiers.

Since when are Russian soldiers coyotes? :unsure:

Valmy

I take it Yi got a bad score on the Verbal section of the SAT.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi