News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Generic Ancestry of Europeans

Started by Jacob, September 18, 2014, 12:53:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jacob

According to current research, modern Europeans are the result of a mixture of three groups:

- Dark skinned, blue eyed hunter-gatherers (the earliest population)
- Light skinned, brown eyed farmers
- A group of North Eurasian related to modern Native Americans

http://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-29213892

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Jacob

Sure looks like Conan is hunting and gathering in that picture...

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Syt

Of course the Cimmerians in Howard's books were a northern race which doesn't quite fit with the article.
—Stephen Jay Gould

KRonn

Conan is going to learn some farming too, sowing wild oats!   ;)

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Admiral Yi

Conan generally had pretty good taste in broads.

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 18, 2014, 01:33:01 PM

Conan was lucky to live in a world of little clothing and shaved armpits and legs.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Quote from: Razgovory on September 18, 2014, 01:37:56 PM
Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 18, 2014, 01:33:01 PM

Conan was lucky to live in a world of little clothing and shaved armpits and legs.

And overuse of the phrase "naked as Eve".
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

KRonn

QuotePigmentation genes carried by the hunters and farmers showed that, while the dark hair, brown eyes and pale skin of the early farmer would look familiar to us, the hunter-gatherers would stand out if we saw them on a street today.
"It really does look like the indigenous West European hunter gatherers had this striking combination of dark skin and blue eyes that doesn't exist any more," Prof Reich told BBC News. 

Interesting article. It's pretty interesting to figure how so many different kinds of people made up the European area, how they arrived there, how they mixed. Looks like this group was genetically bred out.

PRC

Know, O prince, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, and the years of the rise of the Sons of Aryas, there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars - Nemedia, Ophir, Brythunia, Hyperborea, Zamora with its dark-haired women and towers of spider-haunted mystery, Zingara with its chivalry, Koth that bordered on the pastoral lands of Shem, Stygia with its shadow-guarded tombs, Hyrkania whose riders wore steel and silk and gold. But the proudest kingdom of the world was Aquilonia, reigning supreme in the dreaming west.  Hither came Conan the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand, a thief, a reaver, a slayer, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandalled feet.

The Brain

Warspite

" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

The Brain