Mass murder’ reported off Malta, 500 drowned by human traffickers

Started by jimmy olsen, September 16, 2014, 08:02:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

Quote from: Barrister on September 16, 2014, 12:24:48 PM
Quote from: grumbler on September 16, 2014, 12:09:55 PM
Quote from: Duque de Bragança on September 16, 2014, 11:56:43 AM
News! Human traffickers are scum. Film at 11.
True, but I don't see any evidence these were human traffickers.  They seemed to be illegal-immigrant smugglers who were scum.

If there is a difference between those two terms it escapes me what it is.

Human traffickers are essentially slave traders. Illegal immigrant smugglers smuggle illegal immigrants.  :huh:

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Martinus

grumbler

Quote from: garbon on September 16, 2014, 12:30:53 PM
I don't know what g is thinking of but for me human trafficking conjurers up people who are being forcibly moved. The latter are like coyotes.
Exactly.  Every definition of human trafficker I have seen includes the idea that those being trafficked are being trafficked involuntarily or duplicitously, in order to be exploited at the far end.  If just moving people illegally makes you a human trafficker, then every unlicensed cab driver is a human trafficker.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

The Brain

Quote from: Martinus on September 16, 2014, 01:22:00 PM
Quote from: derspiess on September 16, 2014, 01:18:59 PM
Illegal immigrants aren't human?

The difference is that between Bobba Fett and Han Solo. Happy now?

Han Solo didn't murder hundreds of passengers. Maybe off camera, granted.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Barrister

Quote from: grumbler on September 16, 2014, 03:54:46 PM
Quote from: garbon on September 16, 2014, 12:30:53 PM
I don't know what g is thinking of but for me human trafficking conjurers up people who are being forcibly moved. The latter are like coyotes.
Exactly.  Every definition of human trafficker I have seen includes the idea that those being trafficked are being trafficked involuntarily or duplicitously, in order to be exploited at the far end.  If just moving people illegally makes you a human trafficker, then every unlicensed cab driver is a human trafficker.

Except that every time I've ever heard instances of criminals "moving people illegally" they do wind up getting exploited on the other end, typically in order to pay off their debt to the traffickers.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on September 16, 2014, 04:00:56 PMExcept that every time I've ever heard instances of criminals "moving people illegally" they do wind up getting exploited on the other end, typically in order to pay off their debt to the traffickers.

I have heard instances where it is not the case, even where the smugglers have been terrible and/ or dishonest people.

Through some Irish friends (there are lots of Irish in Vancouver right now) we met an Chinese-Irish girl who's working here; born in Ireland, to Chinese (initially illegal) immigrants.

Basically, her parents paid to get on a boat organized by illegal-immigrant-smugglers trying to reach New York. Instead the boat sailed to Dublin where they were told "this is New York, good luck." It took them a while to realize they were in fact not in America at all, not speaking any English and having no idea what New York was supposed to be like. Eventually they settled in Dublin, since they were there.

I've known a few other people who've illegally immigrated, and though some of them have unpleasant stories, none of them involved debt slavery.

Though I'm sure the debt slavery scenario happens more than enough, I don't think it's accurate to assume that it is always the case.

Barrister

Quote from: Jacob on September 16, 2014, 04:39:38 PM
Quote from: Barrister on September 16, 2014, 04:00:56 PMExcept that every time I've ever heard instances of criminals "moving people illegally" they do wind up getting exploited on the other end, typically in order to pay off their debt to the traffickers.

I have heard instances where it is not the case, even where the smugglers have been terrible and/ or dishonest people.

Through some Irish friends (there are lots of Irish in Vancouver right now) we met an Chinese-Irish girl who's working here; born in Ireland, to Chinese (initially illegal) immigrants.

Basically, her parents paid to get on a boat organized by illegal-immigrant-smugglers trying to reach New York. Instead the boat sailed to Dublin where they were told "this is New York, good luck." It took them a while to realize they were in fact not in America at all, not speaking any English and having no idea what New York was supposed to be like. Eventually they settled in Dublin, since they were there.

I've known a few other people who've illegally immigrated, and though some of them have unpleasant stories, none of them involved debt slavery.

Though I'm sure the debt slavery scenario happens more than enough, I don't think it's accurate to assume that it is always the case.

Being dumped on a different continent than where you expected isn't exploitation? :lol:

The Brain

The US told that guy a while back "this is Canada, good luck!" when he was in fact in Syria. I don't think he was exploited.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Jacob

Quote from: Barrister on September 16, 2014, 04:42:50 PM
Being dumped on a different continent than where you expected isn't exploitation? :lol:

You were talking about debt slavery. If you lump any kind of scamming or unethical behaviour in as "exploitation" then yeah sure, many if not most illegal immigrant smugglers exploit the people they move.

However the distinction was made between human traffickers who move people against their will and continually exploit them through debt and sex slavery on one hand, and people who make money from getting illegal immigrants into countries where they want to go.

Conflating the two is lazy at best, and doing so through the device of equating shaking someone down for some more money or dropping them off in the wrong place with continually exploiting someone's labour at a destination of your choosing even more so.

No one made the claim that illegal immigrant smugglers don't exploit the people they move. Instead a distinction was made between people who enslave people and continually move them around for financial gain, and people who facilitate voluntary illegal immigration.

Barrister

Of course every situation is different.  And you threw in the word "continual" which I never used.

But I objected to trying to distinguish "human traffickers" from "illegal immigrant smugglers".  These people invariably exploit their "clients" in one form or another.  Their business is in moving human beings - you can say they traffic in them.  The relevant definition of traffic is:

Quotea :  import and export trade
b :  the business of bartering or buying and selling
c :  illegal or disreputable usually commercial activity <the drug traffic>

Calling them "illegal immigrant smugglers" gives them a sort of decency that they do not deserve.  They're not innocent businessmen - they're criminals.

grumbler

Quote from: Barrister on September 16, 2014, 04:00:56 PM
Except that every time I've ever heard instances of criminals "moving people illegally" they do wind up getting exploited on the other end, typically in order to pay off their debt to the traffickers.

Ah.  So your ignorance of the distinction is due to an ignorance of the cases.  Fair enough.  In hundreds of thousands of cases you have never heard about, people have been smuggled into countries without being exploited.  If the only outcome was exploitation, there wouldn't be anyone willing to be smuggled.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Barrister on September 16, 2014, 05:11:29 PM
Calling them "illegal immigrant smugglers" gives them a sort of decency that they do not deserve.  They're not innocent businessmen - they're criminals.

Yeah, they're smugglers.  :lol:

Valmy

Illegal and smuggler do not strike me as titles that lend decency. :hmm:
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

But I objected to trying to distinguish "human traffickers" from "illegal immigrant smugglers".

But that is distinction with a very real difference in meaning.

They aren't the same thing at all.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned