And we're back!

Main Menu

Conkers and you

Started by Brazen, September 08, 2014, 08:15:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brazen

Quote from: Martinus on September 08, 2014, 10:01:20 AM
Quote from: mongers on September 08, 2014, 08:38:17 AM
Very timely thread, it reminds me I need to get out into the forest and harass some sweet chestnut trees.   :bowler:

What the fuck? Why would someone adult to that?
SWEET chestnut. For eating  :rolleyes:

Brazen

Definitely played inherited scores. I tried drying mine inn the airing cupboard and soaking in vinegar. In the end, a good, fresh structurally sound conker would win out. I came second in a local pub conker league challenge a couple of years back  :D

Brazen

Of course, they were originally brought over from France. By William the Conkerer.

Maximus

We had them in great numbers in Nova Scotia on and around yards. The nuts were great fun to run over with a lawn mower, especially if there were cars, windows or small kids nearby.

Syt

While we had conkers galore at home, they were only ever used for making stupid animals with toothpicks and/or matches. Mainly you hoped that in fall none of the spiky fuckers would drop on your head.

Starting October the Maroni-Standln open in Vienna where you can buy roasted Maroni (as sweet chestnuts are called here). However, tests in recent years have shown that out of a bag you buy about 1/3 tend to be bad, so you buy at your own risk (alternatively get some roasted taters that have been in the pan for a few hours :x ).

Good in theory, horrible in execution.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Brazen on September 08, 2014, 12:05:42 PM
Of course, they were originally brought over from France. By William the Conkerer.

Josquius

I've always collected them but very rarely actually played the game. It just wasn't the done thing in the few years when I was a kid of relevant age
██████
██████
██████

Martinus

Quote from: Brazen on September 08, 2014, 10:02:33 AM
Very timely thread, it reminds me I need to get out into the forest and harass some sweet chestnut trees.   :bowler:

Still. Why would an adult man do that? More importantly, what adult man with a stable job and no kids to humour with antics like that would consider going into the forest to "harass some sweet chestnut trees"?

I find his lifestyle atrociously disturbing.

Martinus

Quote from: Tyr on September 08, 2014, 01:46:04 PM
I've always collected them but very rarely actually played the game. It just wasn't the done thing in the few years when I was a kid of relevant age

Yes, I used to play with conkers too. Then I turned, like, 11.  :P

grumbler

She Stoops to Conker.  :rolleyes:
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Brazen

Quote from: grumbler on September 08, 2014, 04:19:09 PM
She Stoops to Conker.  :rolleyes:
That's chestnut funny.

mongers

Quote from: Martinus on September 08, 2014, 03:30:46 PM

Still. Why would an adult man do that? More importantly, what adult man with a stable job and no kids to humour with antics like that would consider going into the forest to "harass some sweet chestnut trees"?

How ironic that a champion of diversity should utterly fail to understand what diversity means.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Ed Anger

Quote from: derspiess on September 08, 2014, 08:22:06 AM
Yeah, we have them here.  Ed probably wears necklaces made of them to football games (as to whether he admits to it I'm not sure).  We call them buckeyes.  People from Ohio are also called Buckeyes. 

And here's something to give you nightmares:

I have an inflatable Brutus for the yard.
Stay Alive...Let the Man Drive

garbon

Quote from: mongers on September 08, 2014, 05:07:34 PM
Quote from: Martinus on September 08, 2014, 03:30:46 PM

How ironic that a champion of diversity should utterly fail to understand what diversity means.

It doesn't mean you have to tolerate everything. After all, that's essentially the slippery slope.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Malthus

Only god knows what tolerating conkers could lead to!
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius