Yes (I'd vote no)
8 (12.1%)
No (I'd vote yes)
4 (6.1%)
No (I'd also vote no)
38 (57.6%)

Total Members Voted: 64

Admiral Yi

What is the significance of West Lothian?

Warspite

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 23, 2014, 09:48:18 AM
What is the significance of West Lothian?

It's the constituency of Tam Dalyell, who was the MP who raised the issue in 1972.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Warspite

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 23, 2014, 08:20:56 AM
Quote from: Warspite on September 23, 2014, 08:14:44 AM
There is substantial variation within England too.

The problem is reduced if you have England split up into a number of smaller units. Then, in a hypothetical example, Scotland is able to build coalitions with, along with Wales and NI, Northeast England, Yorkshire, Wessex, London district, East Anglia, and/or the Home Counties.

There are a host of policy issues that could see Scotland having more in common with the north of England, so on and so forth.

I don't follow.  Do you expect voting patterns to change?  Will English voters stop voting Labour and start voting Northumbria Independence Party?

I shouldn't have to explain that voters in primarily agrarian constituencies, industrial strongholds, former industrial and mining strongholds, the South East commuter belt and inner-city populations might have strongly different preferences.

There is a very real urban/rural and regional split in British politics. This means that splitting up England into different bits could have a real political impact.
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Warspite

Quote from: Martinus on September 23, 2014, 08:37:55 AM

The problem is reduced if you have England split up into a number of smaller units. Then, in a hypothetical example, Scotland is able to build coalitions with, along with Wales and NI, Northeast England, Yorkshire, Wessex, London district, East Anglia, and/or the Home Counties.

There are a host of policy issues that could see Scotland having more in common with the north of England, so on and so forth.

I don't follow.  Do you expect voting patterns to change?  Will English voters stop voting Labour and start voting Northumbria Independence Party?

Yeah, this is my question as well. With the "first past the post" voting system, I fail to see how there is any difference whatsoever.

And again, look at the US which is a federation - you don't have Teaxs forming coalitions with California or Rhode Island. You have Democrats forming coalition with Democrats, and Republicans with Republicans. Why would that be any different no matter how many local parliaments there are in England - I assume the elections to the national parliament would still be direct, no?

But the delegates from California cannot impose their preference over the whole union, which can happen with England in a federal UK.

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Warspite

Quote from: Gups on September 23, 2014, 08:53:14 AM
I differ from Arkie as to where the problem lies. I don't think there is any issue with the English being able to outvote other countries in a UK Parliament. Any UK Parliament woudl be primarily dealing with federal issues - foreign policy, defence and a few otehr matters that don't split on party lines in the way that tax and spend issues do.

Trident renewal? Immigration? EU membership? Pensions? Financial regulation? Infrastructure investment? Hot button issues...

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

garbon

Quote from: Warspite on September 23, 2014, 09:54:06 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 23, 2014, 08:37:55 AM

Yeah, this is my question as well. With the "first past the post" voting system, I fail to see how there is any difference whatsoever.

And again, look at the US which is a federation - you don't have Teaxs forming coalitions with California or Rhode Island. You have Democrats forming coalition with Democrats, and Republicans with Republicans. Why would that be any different no matter how many local parliaments there are in England - I assume the elections to the national parliament would still be direct, no?

But the delegates from California cannot impose their preference over the whole union, which can happen with England in a federal UK.

But that's also because the delegates aren't generally of one mind either. Both in the Senate and House different states will often have a mix of political parties with their delegates.  So even if California were to have the lion share of delegates I'm not sure how much power it would have to impose "California's preference" as it doesn't really have one unified vision.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Viking

Quote from: Gups on September 23, 2014, 09:29:26 AM
Yeah, I don't like it much either. I wouldl have thought that one of the issues coudl be resolved by representation from the devolved assemblies being propotional to party representation.  I think a UK Parliament would have significantly fewer powers than the US Congress. The UK Parliament would not, for example, be able to introduce Obamacare or have supervision over a federal police force.

It's a mess and a choice between bad options.

The UK Parliament would almost certainly run the NHS and MI5
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Gups

Quote from: Viking on September 23, 2014, 10:03:53 AM
Yeah, I don't like it much either. I wouldl have thought that one of the issues coudl be resolved by representation from the devolved assemblies being propotional to party representation.  I think a UK Parliament would have significantly fewer powers than the US Congress. The UK Parliament would not, for example, be able to introduce Obamacare or have supervision over a federal police force.

Why? It doesn't currently run the NHS in Scotland, Wales or NI.  Parliament's role in MI5 operations is pretty limited.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Warspite on September 23, 2014, 09:52:59 AM

I shouldn't have to explain that voters in primarily agrarian constituencies, industrial strongholds, former industrial and mining strongholds, the South East commuter belt and inner-city populations might have strongly different preferences.

There is a very real urban/rural and regional split in British politics. This means that splitting up England into different bits could have a real political impact.

Is this a yes, you would expect voting patterns to change?

Gups

Quote from: Warspite on September 23, 2014, 09:55:42 AM
Quote from: Gups on September 23, 2014, 08:53:14 AM
I differ from Arkie as to where the problem lies. I don't think there is any issue with the English being able to outvote other countries in a UK Parliament. Any UK Parliament woudl be primarily dealing with federal issues - foreign policy, defence and a few otehr matters that don't split on party lines in the way that tax and spend issues do.

Trident renewal? Immigration? EU membership? Pensions? Financial regulation? Infrastructure investment? Hot button issues...

Trident: Yes, it's defence
Immigration: Yes
EU Membership: C'mon. Any decision to pull out will be made at a referendum. When was the last time Parl had a vote on EU membership.
Pensions: No reason why they won't be devolved
Financial Rfgulation: Oversight of the BofE at best
Infrastructure: Already largely devolved to bodies like TfL. Almost certian that teh biggest projects will be devolved to national parliaments.

alfred russel

Quote from: Gups on September 23, 2014, 10:13:47 AM
Why? It doesn't currently run the NHS in Scotland, Wales or NI.  Parliament's role in MI5 operations is pretty limited.

As long as parliament can tax and spend it can get involved in any issue it wants. It is the US model. Ostensibly considerable power is with the states. For example, most things involving roads. But Congress long ago figured out that it can simply give money to the states on a conditional basis, with the conditions being the states do what Congress wants.

A state wants to exercise its perogative to make the rules governing its own roads and ignore Congress? Great, and it can explain to voters why its taxes are twice as high as the neighboring state as it is turning down billions in federal money.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

There's a fine line between salvation and drinking poison in the jungle.

I'm embarrassed. I've been making the mistake of associating with you. It won't happen again. :)
-garbon, February 23, 2014

Viking

Quote from: Viking on September 23, 2014, 10:03:53 AM

:huh:

The "N" in NHS is National. Some duties have been devolved, but those are the ones which resided with the secretary of state for scotland before. On the NHS Scotland wikipedia site recent developments include an orthodontics research program, limiting the scope of cooperation with private companies, the only example of which is free parking at hospitals. Not exactly any core issues at stake here.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Gups

Quote from: Viking on September 23, 2014, 10:32:14 AM

The "N" in NHS is National. Some duties have been devolved, but those are the ones which resided with the secretary of state for scotland before. On the NHS Scotland wikipedia site recent developments include an orthodontics research program, limiting the scope of cooperation with private companies, the only example of which is free parking at hospitals. Not exactly any core issues at stake here.

There's no such body as the NHS. There is the NHS (England), NHS (Scotland), NHS (Wales) and Health and Social Care in Norther Ireland.

All policy, including funding, is set by the devolved assemblies, except for the English NHS where it is set by the UK Parliament.

Gups

Quote from: alfred russel on September 23, 2014, 10:29:28 AM

As long as parliament can tax and spend it can get involved in any issue it wants. It is the US model. Ostensibly considerable power is with the states. For example, most things involving roads. But Congress long ago figured out that it can simply give money to the states on a conditional basis, with the conditions being the states do what Congress wants.

A state wants to exercise its perogative to make the rules governing its own roads and ignore Congress? Great, and it can explain to voters why its taxes are twice as high as the neighboring state as it is turning down billions in federal money.

Sure, but I don't think we will follow that model. We will have four states, not 50 and most taxation will be at national rather than federal level.

Valmy

Having the NHS done at a national rather than UK level seems wasteful and inefficient to me.  What is the thinking behind that?  Isn't the idea that standardization and an economy of scale will keep costs down?  What if you live and work in Wales and the nearest Hospital is in England?  It just seems so illogical to do it that way.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."