38 (57.6%)

Total Members Voted: 64

katmai

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life, son

DGuller

Zanza

Richard Hakluyt

Excellent.

Time for a constitutional convention of some sort to work out how to devolve powers to the various components of the UK.

I think the turnout is also great news. I've never believed the accusation that people are apathetic about politics here, the apparent "apathy" is mainly indifference as to which managerialist clone gets to be PM.

As I said earlier, the 2015 GE is going to be pretty exciting, woe betide any politician who is hoping for business as usual; for which, thanks a lot Scotland  :cool:

Martinus

Quote from: Richard Hakluyt on September 19, 2014, 12:46:13 AM
Excellent.

Time for a constitutional convention of some sort to work out how to devolve powers to the various components of the UK.

I think the turnout is also great news. I've never believed the accusation that people are apathetic about politics here, the apparent "apathy" is mainly indifference as to which managerialist clone gets to be PM.

As I said earlier, the 2015 GE is going to be pretty exciting, woe betide any politician who is hoping for business as usual; for which, thanks a lot Scotland  :cool:

Yeah, I think the vote is decisive enough so that there shouldn't be calls for a recount etc., but at the same time close enough that it should be a wake up call for politicians and the public. I also hope it will help the UK stay in the EU. All in all, I think it is good news for the UK and Europe at large - and a kick UK needed after the miasma of post-crisis recovery and UKIP gains.

Martinus

Richard Hakluyt

Incidentally Marti, if there was a vote for leaving the EU I think it would play out pretty much like this one. The anti-EU crowd is far more vociferous than the people who are pro-EU, it is so damned easy criticising an organisation that want to ban powerful vacuum cleaners. But, when you get in the polling booth, you recall that uncle Bob lives in Spain, that the Polish girl from accounts that you fancy is here due to the EU, that your brother's job is dependent on EU funding and that you are an English slob who barely ever vacuums anyway.

Brazen

It will cost us in the short term but be worth it.

My main hope is that it revives a national interest in politics, not just among the young folk, and we get a decent turn-out for the next General Election.

Crazy_Ivan80

Ideally -given the way the vote went- the UK now ends up with 5 parliaments on the islands:
1 for each of the main constituent peoples (N-Ireland, Wales, Scotland and England) and one for the realm at large.
But in such a scenario do it better than Belgium did (not that this will be hard: most everyone does everything better than when Belgium does something)

Brazen

Quote from: Crazy_Ivan80 on September 19, 2014, 03:21:54 AM
But in such a scenario do it better than Belgium did (not that this will be hard: most everyone does everything better than when Belgium does something)
Except moules-frites.

Tonitrus

Ideally -given the way the vote went- the UK now ends up with 5 parliaments on the islands:
1 for each of the main constituent peoples (N-Ireland, Wales, Scotland and England) and one for the realm at large.

This kind of government seems familiar. :hmm:

Tamas

Yeah this sounds like a good idea, but do keep Belgium and especially Austria-Hungary in mind: it is entirely possible to create a federal state where all parts just disable each other.