Yes (I'd vote no)
8 (12.1%)
No (I'd vote yes)
4 (6.1%)
No (I'd also vote no)
38 (57.6%)

Total Members Voted: 64

Scipio

I love the idea of Scottish independence. It's even dumber than Texan independence. Go for it, Scots. Pretty soon, you'll be only marginally worse off, but instead of the English, you'll have yourselves to blame.

Self-induced failure of those on the inside is a great balm to the soul of those standing on the outside.
What I speak out of my mouth is the truth.  It burns like fire.
-Jose Canseco

There you go, giving a fuck when it ain't your turn to give a fuck.
-Every cop, The Wire

"It is always good to be known for one's Krapp."
-John Hurt

PRC

Quote from: Scipio on September 05, 2014, 06:37:00 PM
It's even dumber than Texan independence.

Is Texan independence an actual thing beyond some small fringe element?

Valmy

Quote from: PRC on September 05, 2014, 06:48:58 PM
Quote from: Scipio on September 05, 2014, 06:37:00 PM
It's even dumber than Texan independence.

Is Texan independence an actual thing beyond some small fringe element?

Nope.  I used to see 'Secede' bumper stickers around about 10 years ago but hardly anymore.

Anyway nothing to do but just hope the Scots end up doing the right thing.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Ideologue

If Scotland secedes, I hope Britain invokes Article 5.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Grallon

Quote from: Tamas on September 05, 2014, 06:00:11 PM
It puzzles me how half the Scotts can think that the massive upheaval that would follow independence would worth it.

Ask yourself if you'd still like to be part of Austria-Hungary?

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Ideologue

If he knew what was good for him, he would.  The notion of self-determination is self-evidently retarded in a modern liberal democracy.  Especially when the constituent parts will stay EU members and literally nothing will change for anyone except the elites, who'll rake off North Sea oil money or whatever it is that's driving the vile Scottish rebellion.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Grallon

Scotland was an independent realm before - it can be so again.  And it doesn't necessarily imply long term poverty or social upheaval.  This notion that smaller polities are doomed to fail is absurd.  Isn't this a globalized world?!  Aren't we all interconnected?  But there are situations when being sovereign is necessary - nay - desirable.  One such is outlandish demands made by an unelected bureaucracy accountable only to private interests.

Those who feign to believe that the EU has no agenda of its own are deluding themselves.  And it so happens that this agenda is determined behind the closed doors of private board rooms.

Hardly a reassuring symbol.

EDIT: In light of your addendum, I find myself surprised ID, considering your avowed political choices, that you would condone the surrender of national sovereignty to the faceless executives of private corporations...

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

Ideologue

Faceless corporations and rich fucks in general have a lot easier time subverting tiny nations than they do real ones.
Kinemalogue

Eddie Teach

Quote from: Grallon on September 05, 2014, 09:04:02 PM
Scotland was an independent realm before - it can be so again.

It's glory days were spent tethered to England though.
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

garbon

Quote from: Ideologue on September 05, 2014, 09:09:36 PM
Faceless corporations and rich fucks in general have a lot easier time subverting tiny nations than they do real ones.

Yeah I don't see how becoming a small weak state would help out. But then I also don't understand how anyone in Quebec would think it would be better if they were an independent country.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Ideologue

They want to take down all the English signs except for the ones that direct the Anglophones to the extermination camps.
Kinemalogue

Grallon

Quote from: Ideologue on September 05, 2014, 11:32:29 PM
They want to take down all the English signs except for the ones that direct the Anglophones to the extermination camps.

:rolleyes:  I cannot expect garbon to see beyond whatever brand name is fashionable this week - but you?  You, stupidly band-wagoning behind the hysterical crowd that bitch and moan about the excesses of nationalism?!  Now that is a surprise.

G.

~Jean-François Revel

Ideologue

The point is you should all be Americans, and Americans should all be Europeans.  Russians and Chinese wouldn't fuck with us then.

If it makes you feel better, I'm for building a wall.
Kinemalogue

garbon

Well it is fashion week in New York...
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

LaCroix

not going to happen. when it comes down to the actual vote, there's not going to be enough support.