No (I'd vote yes)
4 (6.1%)
No (I'd also vote no)
38 (57.6%)

Total Members Voted: 64

Richard Hakluyt

Quote from: Warspite on September 08, 2014, 05:25:59 AM
Quote from: Martinus on September 08, 2014, 04:02:10 AM
This kind of "pride of the periphery", whether coming from a Serbian or a Quebecois, has always been baffling to me.

Well, it makes more sense in Europe now, given that the EU allows small states to flourish.

As long as the USA is kind enough to protect us.

Tamas

Warspite

The biggest threat to European states has traditionally been being snuffed out by other European states, so NATO and the EU help rather well with that. Russia, granted, is showing the limits of what Europe can do, but it's worth remembering that the EU's most powerful state, and disagreements between the other two most powerful, are the main reasons behind the tepid response to the Ukrainian crisis.

A more effective rebuttal may have been, 'as long as Germany keeps coughing up cash'.  :lol:
" SIR – I must commend you on some of your recent obituaries. I was delighted to read of the deaths of Foday Sankoh (August 9th), and Uday and Qusay Hussein (July 26th). Do you take requests? "

OVO JE SRBIJA
BUDALO, OVO JE POSTA

Martinus

Didn't know that Homer Simpson was fascist.  :D

HVC

It was willie. Mock the frenchies all you like, but get your sources right! :P
Being lazy is bad; unless you still get what you want, then it's called "patience".
Hubris must be punished. Severely.

Eddie Teach

So much for a renewal of the Auld Alliance. :(
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

mongers

10 days to save the Union.   :hmm:

How do you fight this, can you even? :

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Viking

First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 07, 2014, 06:49:00 AM
Lots of articles today calling for a more federal system which is a very good idea and something that should've been done a long time ago. Trouble is none of them explain how you get a federal system to work when one of the constituent parts has 85% of the population.

Prussia used to have about that much in the old German federal system.

And look how well that worked out.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Sheilbh on September 07, 2014, 04:30:42 PM
My own guess is that lots of it'll be tough but a combination of market pressure (on currency and debt) and shared national interest plus American pressure (Scotland staying in NATO minus Trident) would mean a lot will be settled quite quickly. And there are a few areas where we're already separate. Scotland's got its own education and legal system for example.

That may be so but only days before the vote there doesn't seem ot be any clear picture on what the settlement on currency would be.  If Scotland wants to use sterling, then the reality will be that England will be in driver's seat, both in any negotiation for Scotland's admission to the currency bloc and for any subsequent administration.  Rational self-interest if nothing else would push England to use that leverage.   Why go independent to settle for such a result?  It does seem a bit like Yi says - a grasp at "bird and stamp" symbolism.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: mongers on September 08, 2014, 08:17:07 AM
10 days to save the Union.   :hmm:

How do you fight this, can you even? :

By pointing out that it guarantees Tory rule to the south for the forseeable future, and the likely exit from the EU of independent Scotland's most important economic partner.
To think that won't impact Scotland is bonkers. 
Are these the best arguments "Yes" has?  Seems incredibly poorly thought through.
--Joan Robinson

Malthus

Quote from: The Minsky Moment on September 08, 2014, 09:44:33 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on September 07, 2014, 04:30:42 PM
My own guess is that lots of it'll be tough but a combination of market pressure (on currency and debt) and shared national interest plus American pressure (Scotland staying in NATO minus Trident) would mean a lot will be settled quite quickly. And there are a few areas where we're already separate. Scotland's got its own education and legal system for example.

That may be so but only days before the vote there doesn't seem ot be any clear picture on what the settlement on currency would be.  If Scotland wants to use sterling, then the reality will be that England will be in driver's seat, both in any negotiation for Scotland's admission to the currency bloc and for any subsequent administration.  Rational self-interest if nothing else would push England to use that leverage.   Why go independent to settle for such a result?  It does seem a bit like Yi says - a grasp at "bird and stamp" symbolism.

Really, it's an appeal to Robbie Burns:

QuoteFareweel to a' our Scottish fame,
Fareweel our ancient glory;
Fareweel ev'n to the Scottish name,
Sae fam'd in martial story.
Now Sark rins over Solway sands,
An' Tweed rins to the ocean,
To mark where England's province stands-
Such a parcel of rogues in a nation!

What force or guile could not subdue,
Thro' many warlike ages,
Is wrought now by a coward few,
For hireling traitor's wages.
The English stell we could disdain,
Secure in valour's station;
But English gold has been our bane-

O would, or I had seen the day
That Treason thus could sell us,
My auld grey head had lien in clay,
Wi' Bruce and loyal Wallace!
But pith and power, till my last hour,
I'll mak this declaration;
We're bought and sold for English gold-
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

The Minsky Moment

Quote from: Malthus on September 08, 2014, 09:49:17 AM
Really, it's an appeal to Robbie Burns:

So no "English gold," but let's keep English silver (sterling)    :D
--Joan Robinson

viper37

Quote from: Tamas on September 08, 2014, 04:36:50 AM
It is a world of difference when Baltic States are worried about getting back under the heels of the Russian Czar, and Scotland or Quebec throwing a first world problem QQ fest being ready to fuck up themselves over minor issues.
and how is it different?  What will Russia do that another empire would not do?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Maximus

Quote from: Barrister on September 08, 2014, 12:48:50 PM
Viper, the various regions of the US have very distinct cultural identities, despite being part of a larger country.  Try comparing Oregon, to Kansas, to Alabama, to Massechussets - four very, very different states and identities.
Hell, compare Saskatchewan, lower mainland BC and Nova Scotia. There's no more similarity there than between any of them and Quebec