News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

75 Years Ago Today.

Started by mongers, September 01, 2014, 07:32:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mongers

Nazi German invaded Poland.

Anyone found an interesting op-ed or reflective piece of journalism on the anniversary?
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

Josephus

Here's a serious question I have.

So Germany invaded Poland. England, France, DOWd Germany.

Russia invades Poland a week later.....no one DOWs Stalin.

How come?
Civis Romanus Sum<br /><br />"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." Jack Layton 1950-2011

Caliga

Because Stalin was trying to help the Poles.  Duh!  Putin is good at helping people in that manner too. :)
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

Darth Wagtaros

The Soviets liberated The Baltics and Poland from the tyranny of self-rule. 
PDH!

Josquius

Quote from: Josephus on September 01, 2014, 07:34:15 PM

How come?
iIRC the soviets didn't actually DOW Poland and were just claiming to be defending the Belarusian and Ukrainian minorities (Hmm.... That sounds familiar....) since Poland had collapses due to the German invasion.

It was noted however and helped push along the crazy plans to bomb the soviets during the winter war.
██████
██████
██████

grumbler

Quote from: Josephus on September 01, 2014, 07:34:15 PM

How come?

Lots of plans to DOW Stalin collapsed because during the Nazi onslaught of 1940. 
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.