News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Happy Systematic Eradication of Labor Day

Started by CountDeMoney, September 01, 2014, 08:15:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Can you direct me to a specific part of the monstrosity?

Incidentally, I benefitted quite directly from McGraw-Hill's buy back.

Ideologue

Honeywell International [HON] has been making about 4 percent on its share buybacks, compared to 13 percent on business assets.
    Oracle [ORCL] is spending half its cash flow in share buybacks, when the return on buybacks has been around 5 percent, compared to around 32 percent on past investments.

Could be cherrypicking.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Ideologue

QuoteWith 54 percent of earnings going to share buybacks, and 37 percent going out in dividends, there is little left for investing in innovation.

But that suggests a more systemic problem.
Kinemalogue
Current reviews: The 'Burbs (9/10); Gremlins 2: The New Batch (9/10); John Wick: Chapter 2 (9/10); A Cure For Wellness (4/10)

Admiral Yi

Let's assume for the sake of argument it's not cherry picking.  They're still comparing past ROI, at a time when when those companies were growing like gangbusters in newly created markets, to the present, when the market is largely sated.

Also I'm curious how one calculates ROI on a buy back.  Dorsey, you know?

Razgovory

Quote from: Admiral Yi on September 01, 2014, 01:52:12 PM
It's interesting to me that those who don't own stock, and are therefore the least exposed to the alleged depredations of CEOs, are the quickest to criticize.

Yeah, who'd a thought that people at the economic ladder are those with the strongest criticisms of the system.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Razgovory on September 01, 2014, 04:48:32 PM
Yeah, who'd a thought that people at the economic ladder are those with the strongest criticisms of the system.

Not sure what you're trying to say Raz.