North Korea to match sanctions with 4 nuke tests

Started by Weatherman, June 11, 2009, 06:55:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KRonn

Quote from: DontSayBanana on June 12, 2009, 11:01:36 AM
What I don't get is that North Korea is pissing off most of the countries surrounding it, including those immediately surrounding it, and the combined force could glass them over before they could get tac forces up and running, even without nukes. Is this some kind of warped suicide-by-multi-national-strike scheme? :huh:
I think in large part it's part of the way NK leaders operate to wring concessions from other nations, or to buy time. In this case it seems they've just been stringing everyone out, biding time, while they develop their nukes and rockets. All the while acting like they'll agree to certain things but then just go against it covertly or openly.

But also, it wasn't long ago that NK actually destroyed a missile silo in a very public fashion, and seemed to be agreeing somewhat to certain terms. So since this seems a dramatic shift in policy I think maybe this is now part of the power plays, jockeying for power, that NK is starting to go through?

DontSayBanana

Quote from: DisturbedPervert on June 12, 2009, 11:39:20 AMThey can't take them out before they level Seoul.
Disagree. At present, they'd let us know well in advance (but not "announce") about the strike so we could mark it on our calendars.  :tinfoil:
Experience bij!

garbon

"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

jimmy olsen

More threats from North Korea.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31311394/ns/world_news-asiapacific/

QuoteN. Korea mulls military action over sanctions
Pyongyang vows to 'weaponize' plutonium in response to U.N. measures

updated 2 hours, 35 minutes ago

SEOUL, South Korea - North Korea on Saturday threatened "resolute military action" if the United States tried to isolate it after the U.N. Security Council imposed widened sanctions against the reclusive communist state for a nuclear test in May.

The North also vowed to start a program to enrich uranium and to "weaponize" plutonium at its nuclear weapons plant, the North's official news agency KCNA quoted its foreign ministry spokesman as saying.

The report said Pyongyang would consider any attempt by U.S. or its allies to impose a "blockade" as an "act of war."
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

HisMajestyBOB

I've been waiting for their warships to come out and play. They did it back in 2002, and I'm surprised they haven't done it again in the past month.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
1 Karma Chameleon point

jimmy olsen

A 4th of July gift from the Dear Leader to Hawaii, wonderful. <_<

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31423521/ns/world_news-asiapacific/

QuoteSEOUL, South Korea - North Korea may fire a long-range ballistic missile toward Hawaii in early July, a Japanese newspaper reported Thursday, as Russia and China urged the regime to return to international disarmament talks on its rogue nuclear program.

The missile, believed to be a Taepodong-2 with a range of up to 4,000 miles, would be launched from North Korea's Dongchang-ni site on the northwestern coast, said the Yomiuri daily, Japan's top-selling newspaper. It cited an analysis by the Japanese Defense Ministry and intelligence gathered by U.S. reconnaissance satellites.

The missile launch could come between July 4 and 8, the paper said.

1 Karma Chameleon point

KRonn

Such a charming little slave labor run nation; the world's largest almost self-contained concentration camp, except they can't feed or care for themselves without lots of help.

They should be so proud of their accomplishments. People starving, no lights on at night, no rights, no freedoms, no nothing..... go home. On and on. And they build nukes, and missiles.

So what....

The nation still fails at life, thanks to despotic leadership... and sadly, the people are so kept in the dark on things that they probably know little of the outside world, or how bad off they are. I wonder if people there know much of tv and radio beyond what the "government" allows? That people have been to the moon, about literature, history, the arts? Do they know anything about the simple things in life but which much of the rest of the world takes for granted on a daily basis? North Korea's problems aren't of being a poor nation; a nation can rise from poverty, especially if they're willing to free their people, and work with the world. Their problems are of their own making, the government's making. I hope they're enjoying it all, the depths of which they've sunk into as their despotic style sinks them ever deeper. 

Just waiting for the country to go Iranian style... or perhaps worse, Romanian style.

Weatherman

Here comes the first ship challenge:

QuoteThe U.S. military is tracking a flagged North Korean ship suspected of proliferating weapons material in violation of a       U.N. Security Council resolution passed last Friday, FOX News has learned.
The ship, Kang Nam, left a port in       North Korea Wednesday and appears to be heading toward Singapore, according to a senior U.S. military source. The vessel,       which the military has been tracking since its departure, could be carrying weaponry, missile parts or nuclear materials.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2009/06/18/military-tracking-north-korean-ship-suspected-proliferating-weapons-material/

Josquius

They really are the most childish of countries.
We should put them on the naughty step.

QuoteA 4th of July gift from the Dear Leader to Hawaii, wonderful. <_<

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/31423521/ns/world_news-asiapacific/

SEOUL, South Korea - North Korea may fire a long-range ballistic missile toward Hawaii in early July, a Japanese newspaper reported Thursday, as Russia and China urged the regime to return to international disarmament talks on its rogue nuclear program.

The missile, believed to be a Taepodong-2 with a range of up to 4,000 miles, would be launched from North Korea's Dongchang-ni site on the northwestern coast, said the Yomiuri daily, Japan's top-selling newspaper. It cited an analysis by the Japanese Defense Ministry and intelligence gathered by U.S. reconnaissance satellites.

The missile launch could come between July 4 and 8, the paper said.

:frusty:
Damn I hate the US press.
Towards Hawaii is the logical place for N.Korea to fire missiles. Towards != at.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

The article says that the missiles would not reach Hawaii. :mellow:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."
I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

The Brain

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

garbon

Habsburg

Josquius

Quote from: garbon on June 18, 2009, 05:20:54 PM
The article says that the missiles would not reach Hawaii. :mellow:
Yet still the sensationalist headline.
██████
██████
██████