News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Windows is evil

Started by Viking, August 29, 2014, 08:14:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Viking

so, Windows does this auto update thing, probably fixing some bugs or updating some shit. All well and good. Here's the problem. So the updater has this pop-up box which tells me it is restarting the machine in 10 minutes if I don't postpone it. No option for "Thanks, but I'll restart myself later." Like most normal software.

Despicable if you ask me.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

viper37

Quote from: Viking on August 29, 2014, 08:14:33 PM
so, Windows does this auto update thing, probably fixing some bugs or updating some shit. All well and good. Here's the problem. So the updater has this pop-up box which tells me it is restarting the machine in 10 minutes if I don't postpone it. No option for "Thanks, but I'll restart myself later." Like most normal software.

Despicable if you ask me.
Upgrade to Windows 8.1, it gives you 24hrs to reboot ;)

Oh, you want to know the real evil?
M$ has released two security updates in a row wich potentiall wreak havoc on your system... Twice have they been forced to remove the patch.
Even funnier, this Tuesday's patch, supposed to correct last 'patch Tuesday' recommends uninstallation of the previous patch... But it doesn't do it for yourself and there's no easy way to do that.
This is the true face of evil! ;)

http://www.zdnet.com/what-went-wrong-with-microsofts-august-updates-7000033089/
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Grallon

I'm seriously considering returning to Windows 7 - I greatly dislike 8 and the wannabe ipad tiles.  If that was supposed to be an improvement I'd rather stay backward.

G.
"Clearly, a civilization that feels guilty for everything it is and does will lack the energy and conviction to defend itself."

~Jean-François Revel

garbon

Quote from: Grallon on August 30, 2014, 06:13:14 AM
I'm seriously considering returning to Windows 7 - I greatly dislike 8 and the wannabe ipad tiles.  If that was supposed to be an improvement I'd rather stay backward.

G.

Don't go back. Just get something like classic shell. Then you can have your computer load to desktop and do everything from there. Allows you speed of 8 without dealing with tiles.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Grallon on August 30, 2014, 06:13:14 AM

I hate it as well;  I simply exit out of it and use the old desktop.  It's atrocious.

Josquius

There is a way to alter the updater so it doesn't automatically restart in 10 minutes. I can't remember how, but it wasn't too hard.
I however can't find a way to kill the restarter altogether. It is particularly annoying when I leave my computer on hibernate overnight and wake to find it has turned itself on and restarted. Pff.
██████
██████
██████