News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

Belief in science?

Started by Razgovory, August 27, 2014, 08:11:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

grumbler

Quote from: Viking on August 28, 2014, 05:58:17 AM
No, I doubt that those who use the phrase "believe in science" do so in the meta sense of "belief" rather than the dictionary definition of the word.

Indeed.  Belief does, in fact, have many meanings, depending on context.  "I believe in the gods" is a different use of belief than is "I believe that i will have a cheeseburger" or even "I believe Al Gore will win the election."  I don't think the phrase "I believe in science" has any semantic meaning.  Even "I believe in evolution" is logically dodgy, since "evolution" isn't really a thing; evolution can be any one of a number of theories, or a process, or an outcome of a process.  None of these are really subject to "belief" in the sense of "I believe in the existence of the Old Testament God."

If one finds oneself in the position of arguing whether or not there is an equivalency between "science" and any particular religious belief, one is in the wrong discussion.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: Razgovory on August 28, 2014, 05:34:03 AM
:lol:  I think Viking suspect this is all a clever trap to make him look the fool.

No, I doubt that those who use the phrase "believe in science" do so in the meta sense of "belief" rather than the dictionary definition of the word.

Why?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Viking

Quote from: Razgovory on August 28, 2014, 07:07:26 AM
Quote from: Razgovory on August 28, 2014, 05:34:03 AM
:lol:  I think Viking suspect this is all a clever trap to make him look the fool.

Why?

Are we there yet?
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Malthus

'I believe in science' in the sense that I believe that the scientific method is, at least so far, the best available way to generate and test knowledge.

It doesn't mean I believe any particular bit of knowledge derived by that method is absolutely true. Indeed, the whole point of the scientific method is to continually question and test the current state of knowledge.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Razgovory

Not yet.  There are those who like science not because it's a useful method of inquiry that provides facts and accurate predictions but because they can use it as a fetish to drive away the "fundies" like a witchdoctor might use a ju-ju bag to drive away evil spirits.  People who like Darwin not of his careful observations and theories but because slapping a Darwin sticker on the back of their car makes them feel smart.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Viking

Quote from: Malthus on August 28, 2014, 07:53:32 AM
'I believe in science' in the sense that I believe that the scientific method is, at least so far, the best available way to generate and test knowledge.

It doesn't mean I believe any particular bit of knowledge derived by that method is absolutely true. Indeed, the whole point of the scientific method is to continually question and test the current state of knowledge.

this is where it gets a bit axiomatically tricky and we decend into solopsism. The scientific method applies to itself. If you understand it you can't believe in it.
First Maxim - "There are only two amounts, too few and enough."
First Corollary - "You cannot have too many soldiers, only too few supplies."
Second Maxim - "Be willing to exchange a bad idea for a good one."
Second Corollary - "You can only be wrong or agree with me."

A terrorist which starts a slaughter quoting Locke, Burke and Mill has completely missed the point.
The fact remains that the only person or group to applaud the Norway massacre are random Islamists.

Razgovory

I don't think belief is the correct word here.  I have a door, I don't believe in the door.  I can understand what it's made of and why it's there and accept the truth of the door, but it's not really a belief.

Malthus

Quote from: Viking on August 28, 2014, 07:56:28 AM

this is where it gets a bit axiomatically tricky and we decend into solopsism. The scientific method applies to itself. If you understand it you can't believe in it.

The best available way so far. Not the best way.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Legbiter

Ray Kurzweil is waiting to be uploaded into a virtual heaven. A lot of Silicon Valley tech geeks seem to be on similar quests.
Posted using 100% recycled electrons.

The Brain

Quote from: Legbiter on August 28, 2014, 10:53:44 AM
Ray Kurzweil is waiting to be uploaded into a virtual heaven. A lot of Silicon Valley tech geeks seem to be on similar quests.

They're on dial-up?
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Maximus

I would say belief could be used as a term of trade, in some sciences at least, as a probabilistic analog to knowledge.

Basically belief is the probability that a given fact is true in a given model, given what I know.

Still, under this definition "I believe in science" doesn't really make sense.