Has your neighborhood become "upscale"?

Started by Syt, August 20, 2014, 07:50:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Savonarola on August 22, 2014, 08:08:09 AM
I'm pretty sure Florida had crime before I got here.  Someone was keeping Crockett and Tubbs busy.

My brother married a church girl from the Armpit.  She said running drugs in from mother ships on speed boats was a viable career choice among her peer group.

Martinus

Quote from: mongers on August 22, 2014, 07:02:13 PM
My town now has a particularly stupid type of hipster shop, it was so much trivia, I can't describe what it sells.   <_<

For a couple of years we've had an Aga shop and recently we've acquired one of those fake Waterstones bookshops, which has so few books for sale it's actually a coffee shop.

Truely we're turning into a little London in the countryside/forest.  <_<

Plus Waterstone's is owned by a Russian closely connected to Putin.

Martinus

Incidentally, would hipster shops = upscale? I thought that would be a different talent tree, so to speak.

CountDeMoney

Syt

I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

CountDeMoney

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Martinus on August 23, 2014, 01:55:01 AM
Incidentally, would hipster shops = upscale? I thought that would be a different talent tree, so to speak.

Upscale is both a direction and a place.  So a new bike/coffee shop might move a seedy neighborhood upscale, but not make it upscale.