News:

And we're back!

Main Menu

The model thread

Started by Pedrito, September 22, 2014, 12:36:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pedrito

I don't want to clutter Brain's miniatures thread, so here's a new one about modeling: static, dynamic, Kate Moss-ic.

I'm building a rather simple static model with my son - it's an Airfix box with the Messerschmitt Me262A and the DeHavilland Mosquito FB.V1, and I have some questions:

- inside the box there are some paints, do I need to use a thinner or should I use them pure ? and if a thinner, which one? They're small Humbrol jars.
- i've found different pieces for the landing gear, but they don't fit in the plane: I suppose they're there because the builder can choose if he wants a landed rather than a flying model, am I right?

More to come during the building.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot:

Syt

Quote from: Pedrito on September 22, 2014, 12:36:30 PM
- i've found different pieces for the landing gear, but they don't fit in the plane: I suppose they're there because the builder can choose if he wants a landed rather than a flying model, am I right?

Yes.

No idea aboutt he paints, I always sucked at painting models. :(
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

mongers

Quote from: Pedrito on September 22, 2014, 12:36:30 PM
I don't want to clutter Brain's miniatures thread, so here's a new one about modeling: static, dynamic, Kate Moss-ic.

I'm building a rather simple static model with my son - it's an Airfix box with the Messerschmitt Me262A and the DeHavilland Mosquito FB.V1, and I have some questions:

- inside the box there are some paints, do I need to use a thinner or should I use them pure ? and if a thinner, which one? They're small Humbrol jars.

More to come during the building.

L.

If it's a modern airfix box, those will be acrylic paints so use whatever 'The Brain' thinks is appropriate, water maybe?? Obviously if they're old enamel paints then use spirit based thinners of some form. 

It's quite a nice set, quite simple old designs, but's been reissued a few times and the injection moulding dies are probably now approaching 50 years old.

Incidentally if it was a first release of the kit, It be worth a reasonable amount of money, in part because of the box and the artwork.
"We have it in our power to begin the world over again"

The Brain

:cheers: Go models!

I haven't use Humbrol paints since the 80s, but if they are (non-Tamiya) acrylics water should be OK I think.

Women want me. Men want to be with me.

mongers

Quote from: The Brain on September 22, 2014, 04:17:04 PM

I haven't use Humbrol paints since the 80s, but if they are (non-Tamiya) acrylics water should be OK I think.

Does that mean Tamiya paints need a special thinners ?  As these are the only ones I have remaining, if I want to get back into modelling?

The Brain

Quote from: mongers on September 22, 2014, 05:55:16 PM

Does that mean Tamiya paints need a special thinners ?  As these are the only ones I have remaining, if I want to get back into modelling?

That is my understanding. I'm using Tamiya paints for my Nagato and they have a special thinner, the guy in the store asked me if I used Tamiya paints when I asked for a thinner. I am NOT an expert on this, but I'd use Tamiya thinner with Tamiya paints if I were you.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Martinus

I thought this would be a perfect, model thread. Like Cromwell's "model army".   :Embarrass:

mongers

Quote from: The Brain on September 23, 2014, 12:47:38 AM
Quote from: mongers on September 22, 2014, 05:55:16 PM

That is my understanding. I'm using Tamiya paints for my Nagato and they have a special thinner, the guy in the store asked me if I used Tamiya paints when I asked for a thinner. I am NOT an expert on this, but I'd use Tamiya thinner with Tamiya paints if I were you.

Thanks for that.

I did try a little test and they do come out odd and blotch with water.

Pedrito

Thanks for the answers. As a reward, I'll post pics of the first completed plane.

L.
b / h = h / b+h

27 Zoupa Points, redeemable at the nearest liquor store! :woot: