The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malicious Intent

Quote from: derspiess on July 07, 2016, 12:55:52 PM
I'm going to wait until I have the full story before I form an opinion.  Sure, it's shitty that this dude was shot in front of his daughter and girlfriend.  On that I'll agree with you guys.  But do we have anything at this point other than video she took with her phone after the shooting took place?  Or are we trusting her narrative 100%?

Evidence is currently rather onesided, since we only have the girlfriends video footage at the moment. But given that the police officer is not contradicting the woman's explanation and that for the rest of the video you can constantly hear him scream and curse in the background (while his colleagues try to calm the situation), it seems likely that he panicked, fucked up and knows it.

Malicious Intent

Maybe Seedy has a word or two about the officer's composure after the incident.

Edit: Since the WP removed the full video from their article, here is a YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNCbgJ55jQY

LaCroix

yeah, the attack on derspeiss itt is weird. he didn't even say anything outlandish. the comment was pretty tame. story is some random guy who got shot by police--just another incident in a nation of 300 million people. not everyone is going to respond to stories like these with an iphone flashlight vigil, so people should relax.

11B4V

Quote from: Malicious Intent on July 07, 2016, 01:21:07 PM

Edit: Since the WP removed the full video from their article, here is a YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNCbgJ55jQY

The officer taking the gun out of dudes pocket after they drilled him???????????????
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

derspiess

Quote from: 11B4V on July 07, 2016, 02:01:22 PM

The officer taking the gun out of dudes pocket after they drilled him???????????????

He's talking about the other shooting, with the Chinese policeman.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

11B4V

Quote from: derspiess on July 07, 2016, 02:24:22 PM
Quote from: 11B4V on July 07, 2016, 02:01:22 PM

He's talking about the other shooting, with the Chinese policeman.

ching-chong-ching-chong

MUDDA FLUCKA
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

OttoVonBismarck

I'd be even less inclined to mess with a Chinese cop, they have a cultural acceptance of police killing people.

jimmy olsen

The governor of Minnesota believes the Philando shooting was unjustified.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jul/07/philando-castile-police-shooting-calls-justice-department-inquiry-fbi-minnesota-officers

Minnesota governor blames Philando Castile police killing on racial bias

Mark Dayton says level of force was 'way in excess' of what was necessary and demands justice department investigation as Obama calls shootings 'a serious problem'

Jon Swaine, Oliver Laughland and Lois Beckett in New York

Thursday 7 July 2016 19.30 BST  Last modified on Friday 8 July 2016 00.20 BST 

The fatal shooting of a black man by police in Minnesota was attributed to racism by the state's governor on Thursday, as Barack Obama urged Americans to admit that the country faced a "serious problem" of prejudice in law enforcement.

Dispensing with the caution typically shown by elected leaders following shootings by police, Governor Mark Dayton blamed the death of Philando Castile on racial bias and said the officer involved used a level of force "way in excess" of what was necessary.

"Would this have happened if the driver and passenger were white?" Dayton asked at a press conference. "I don't think it would have. So I'm forced to confront, and I think all of Minnesota is forced to confront, that this kind of racism exists."

The killing of Castile, 32, is the latest to roil the US in the nearly two years since the fatal shooting by police of an unarmed black 18-year-old in Ferguson, Missouri, led to waves of unrest around the country.

Castile's death was broadcast live on Facebook by his girlfriend after he was shot by an officer through the window of their car during a traffic stop near St Paul on Wednesday evening. Castile had been reaching for identification after warning the officer that he was legally carrying a handgun, according to his girlfriend.

It was the second time this week that the killing by police of an African American was captured on widely shared cellphone video. On Tuesday, 37-year-old Alton Sterling was shot dead during a struggle with two officers in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Sterling, who was selling CDs outside a shop, appeared to have a pistol in his pocket.

Having said in an online statement earlier on Thursday that Americans should "admit we've got a serious problem", Obama told reporters after his arrival in Poland that the shootings must be a "spur to action" for reform. "Change has been too slow, and we have to have a greater sense of urgency about this," he said.

The president urged white Americans to take seriously the "particular burden" placed on minorities by disparities in policing and criminal justice. "When people say 'black lives matter', that doesn't mean 'blue lives don't matter' – it means that all lives matter, but that just right now, the data shows that black folks are more vulnerable to these kind of incidents," said Obama.

The two men were the 135th and 136th African Americans to be killed by police across the US in 2016, according to an ongoing Guardian project to document every death caused by law enforcement officers. In total, 561 people have been killed so far this year.

Castile's mother, Valerie, said she was outraged by the death of the 32-year-old school cafeteria worker. "Every day you hear of another black person being shot down – gunned down – by the people who are supposed to protect us," she told CNN.

Some of the country's most prominent black cultural figures also expressed anger over the shootings. "We are sick and tired of the killings of young men and women in our communities," the singer Beyoncé said in a statement on her website. "It is up to us to take a stand and demand that they 'stop killing us'." An extensive list of names of people killed by US police was projected as a backdrop to Beyoncé's concert in Glasgow, Scotland, on Thursday evening.

Dayton, a Democrat, asked the US Department of Justice to investigate Castile's shooting after protesters gathered outside his mansion overnight and wrapped his gates in crime-scene tape. The department is already reviewing the death of Sterling in Baton Rouge.

"I will do everything in my power to help protect the integrity of that investigation, to ensure a proper and just outcome for all involved," Dayton said in a statement.

A Department of Justice spokesman said in an email that the department "stands ready to provide assistance" to Minnesota authorities in investigating the shooting if required "and will independently assess what further action may be warranted". Officials said on Wednesday that they would open a federal civil rights investigation into Sterling's death in Louisiana.

FBI director James Comey also said on Thursday that the shootings were a cause for concern. Asked in a congressional hearing whether killings such as those of Castile and Sterling were "happening at an alarming rate", Comey replied: "'Yes' is the emphatic answer."

Comey had previously stood out within the Obama administration by focusing on concerns that protests against police shootings may be causing a rise in crime by prompting officers to hold back from confrontations.

Castile and his girlfriend, Diamond Reynolds, were pulled over at about 9pm on Wednesday because their car had a broken tail light, according to Reynolds. Quickly starting to film and broadcast to Facebook's live video feature, Reynolds said to the camera that the officer had just opened fire as Castile reached into his pocket.

"He was trying to get out his ID and his wallet out his pocket and he let the officer know that he was that he had a firearm," she says in the video. "He was reaching for his wallet and the officer just shot him in his arm." Reynolds estimated that the officer fired between three and five times.

Castile is seen slumped across a front seat covered in blood. He squirms with his eyes half-open. Reynolds says to camera: "Please don't tell me that he's gone. Please officer, don't tell me that you just did this to him."

As other officers arrive, Reynolds is instructed to leave the vehicle. The phone continues to film as it is laid on the ground.

One distraught-sounding officer, who has not been identified, can be heard shouting "Fuck" repeatedly. After Reynolds is detained, her four-year-old daughter can be heard comforting her. "It's OK mommy," she says.

The deaths of Sterling and Castile have revived protests about the treatment by officers of black people who appear to be carrying firearms legally or non-threateningly, as millions of Americans do every day without incident.

Castile's mother said her son was "trying to do the right things, and live accordingly by the law". Minnesotans are entitled to carry a handgun if they obtain a permit from their local sheriff after earning a training certificate. Reynolds said Castile was licensed to carry his gun.

The officer who shot Castile works for the small St Anthony police department, whose chief John Ohl said in his 2015 annual report that outsiders "can easily overlook just how difficult it can be to deal humanely, as cops must, even with the dregs of our society". The report suggested St Anthony's 23 officers each received an average of 67 hours of training last year, including on de-escalation, the use of force and firearms.

In the Baton Rouge case, police confronted Sterling because he matched the description of a man reported to have threatened someone with a gun. Two video clips of his struggle with police indicate, however, that his pistol remained in his pocket and was removed by officers after he was shot. It was unclear from the footage whether Sterling tried to reach for the weapon.

On Thursday, it was announced that lawyers representing the family of Walter Scott, the 50-year-old African American killed by police in South Carolina in 2015, would now represent members of Sterling's family as well.

"We will demand transparency from the Baton Rouge police department and all other agencies involved in this investigation. We will not stop until every question has been answered," said attorneys L. Chris Stewart and Justin Bamberg in a statement.

Scott's death, which was also captured on video by a witness, resulted in a $6.5m settlement, and murder charges for the white officer who opened fire.

The cases joined a series of flashpoints in recent years including those of Tamir Rice and John Crawford, two young African Americans who were separately shot dead by police in Ohio in 2014 while handling pellet guns in a park and a Walmart store respectively. In both cases, officers fired within seconds of seeing them.

Campaigners said African Americans were treated unfairly to deadly effect. "No matter how well you follow the rules, you can still be dead because you're black," said Brittany Packnett, an activist and former member of Obama's White House policing taskforce. "Compliance has never guaranteed our safety."

Gun rights advocates who are typically forthright in defending firearms owners have been criticised for failing to speak out in support of black people targeted while armed. Asked about the Castile shooting, Jennifer Baker, the National Rifle Association's director of public affairs, said only on Thursday: "We have not issued a statement."

Larry Pratt, the executive director emeritus of Gun Owners of America, bristled at the suggestion that race made a difference. "We don't speak out for black American nor white America or any other kinds of racial position. That is an obnoxious question. Keep asking questions like that and you're going to get hung up on, like right now," he said, then disconnected the line.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

11B4V

Two cops shot in Dallas near a protest march. Here we go.

Kleves

Philando's girlfriend seems remarkably calm in that video. I don't mean to imply anything; it is just shocking to me how calm she seems.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

11B4V

Phillip V

Quote from: Kleves on July 07, 2016, 09:26:38 PM
Philando's girlfriend seems remarkably calm in that video. I don't mean to imply anything; it is just shocking to me how calm she seems.

She should become a police officer.

Zoupa

Quote from: 11B4V on July 07, 2016, 09:15:05 PM
Two cops shot in Dallas near a protest march. Here we go.

It was bound to happen.

11B4V

Zoupa