The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Berkut

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/23/us/edward-nero-verdict-judge-ruling/index.html

Reading the article and the legal reasoning, I have to agree that it doesn't seem like there is much of a case against Nero.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Kleves

I don't know about the cases against the other officers, but proceeding in the case against Nero seems extremely questionable. It makes the whole process to me seem more like a witch hunt.
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: Kleves on May 24, 2016, 09:20:06 AM
I don't know about the cases against the other officers, but proceeding in the case against Nero seems extremely questionable. It makes the whole process to me seem more like a witch hunt.

They were all charged individually as opposed to indicted together, so their trial dates were subject to the docket, depending on when they were charged, arraigned, postponements.  That's why their court dates are all over the place.
Nero and the other street cop don't really have anything to worry about, so it's not surprising;  it's the wagon man, his supervisor and Lt. Let's Fuck With Freddie that have to worry.

QuoteAs Williams put it, two questions were at issue:
Could an officer under similar circumstances as Nero expect another officer in the van with Gray to seat belt him, especially if that person was in a higher position?
Could an officer under similar circumstances reasonably assume the van driver would check to make sure Gray was secure before driving off?
"The answer to both of those questions, based on the facts presented, is yes," Williams said. Therefore, he said, it was reasonable of Nero to not take it upon himself to secure Gray and to expect other officers to handle it.

That's right; he may be your arrest, but it's the transport officer's wagon: he dictates how, in what manner and in what condition, prisoners get loaded.  Seen more than one wagon driver turn away a prisoner--too fucked up, too high, complaining too much about an injury?  You're waiting for an ambulance with your lock up.  I made more than enough OT at the ER drinking coffee and hitting on nurses waiting for Mr. Ow My Back Hurts to get his negative x-ray results.  Wagon drivers are not going to drive around with your fuck ups in the back, responsible for your mess in his van while you're heading down to CBIF to write out the statement of charges.  They're usually in pissy moods to begin with, since most of them are driving transport because of bad attitudes or bad records.  Not all of them, but behind the wheel of the wagon is the one place you can stash a district's problem.     

I think Gooden is cooked: he either 1) ignored his prisoner's cries for help, or 2) he stopped and gave him something to cry about.  Considering he made a stop he didn't tell investigators about until it was found on CCTV--with him as the only person with the prisoner--I'm picking curtain #2.

[spoiler]As an aside:  for close to ten years, between the PD and bail bonds, I had probably seen a couple hundred prisoners--mine and others--get loaded into wagons, from the old ice boxes to the cargo vans first coming into service.  Cooperative, drunk as shit, fighting like motherfuckers, fighting like motherfuckers with other prisoners in the van, didn't matter--it was the wagon driver's call how they went in.  And I can honestly say, I do not believe I can count on both hands the number of times I ever saw a prisoner buckled in.  It just didn't happen.

If you were lucky, you could hang on to a seat belt strap in one of the newer vans (the ice boxes only had a cuff bar) if your hands were cuffed behind you.  If you could reach them.  If you were in the condition to be able to reach them.  If you weren't face down on the floor of the van's bay, getting your skull rammed into the bulkhead every time the wagon driver pumped the brakes or hopped a curb because you gave him a hard time.  Or because he thought it was funny.  Or just because. [/spoiler]

11B4V

:lol:
NEW YORK - In what is becoming something of a New York City tradition, the two organizations assigned to protect and serve the city's citizens hosted a charity sporting competition and also got into a large, bloody brawl.

Video of the aftermath of Sunday's game at Coney Island shows dozens of players brawling and yelling curses. Blood can be seen dripping down the face of one firefighter.

Fucking hose draggers.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/nypd-dismissive-of-massive-brawl-against-fdny/ar-BBtqxP8?ocid=ansmsnnews11
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Martinus

Having seen movies of Black Lives Matter activists in action, I can't really blame the police for being a bit trigger happy with those people. I mean, I can see even a trained policeman to be concerned for his or her life when around them.

CountDeMoney

If only they used wine glasses more often.  And sucked bags of dicks.

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 26, 2016, 05:47:29 AM
If only they used wine glasses more often.  And sucked bags of dicks.

And were less brown. :(
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Well, there's brown and then there's brown.  #CabanaBoysLivesMatter

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 26, 2016, 06:02:29 AM

Are you sure about that with Mart though? I get the sense he's more into whiter shades of pale.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

Quote from: garbon on May 26, 2016, 06:05:39 AM

Are you sure about that with Mart though? I get the sense he's more into whiter shades of pale.

Who do you think works the resorts in the Canary Islands?  Canaries?  "Oh Raul, do be an angel and refill my daiquiri, you little matador."

garbon

Quote from: CountDeMoney on May 26, 2016, 06:10:19 AM
Quote from: garbon on May 26, 2016, 06:05:39 AM

Who do you think works the resorts in the Canary Islands?  Canaries?  "Oh Raul, do be an angel and refill my daiquiri, you little matador."

Actually, I saw a lot of German workers too (in addition to the tourists) when I was just there. ;)

jimmy olsen

I'm don't understand the charges. Manslaughter via negligence and attempted murder?  :unsure:

Dude died, nothing attempted about it.  :huh:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/the_slatest/2016/06/01/nouman_raja_florida_police_officer_who_shot_corey_jones_facing_manslaughter.html

QuotePlainclothes Officer Who Shot Black Man Awaiting Roadside Assistance Will Face Charges

By Leon Neyfakh

Last October, a man whose car had broken down in the middle of the night in Florida was killed by a police officer while waiting for roadside assistance. Seven months later, the officer has been charged by Florida prosecutors with manslaughter by culpable negligence and attempted first degree murder. According to Palm Beach County State Attorney Dave Aronberg, a grand jury found that the officer's use of deadly force was unjustified.

Nouman Raja never told 31-year-old Corey Jones that he was a police officer before he killed him, prosecutors allege. Nor was it possible, according to the charging documents, for Jones to deduce Raja's identity from his police vehicle, because it was unmarked, or his clothing, because he wasn't wearing a uniform.  After Raja pulled up to Jones's car around 3:15 a.m., the situation escalated quickly, with Raja noticing that Jones was armed with a gun and allegedly yelling, "Get your fucking hands up!" three times before firing six shots.

Jones had encountered car trouble on his way home from a concert he had performed in, and had parked his vehicle north of West Palm Beach, alongside Interstate 95. According to a police statement issued after the incident, Raja spotted Jones' car and stopped to investigate because he believed it was abandoned. "As the officer exited his vehicle, he was suddenly confronted by an armed subject," the department said in their statement. "As a result of the confrontation, the officer discharged his firearm, resulting in the death of the subject."

According to the Washington Post, the charging documents released Wednesday indicate that Raja drove his car in the wrong direction while exiting the interstate before confronting Jones. "A reasonable person can only assume the thoughts and concerns Corey Jones was experiencing as he saw the van approaching him at that hour of the morning," the prosecutors wrote in the documents. "Raja stopped his van at a perpendicular angle directly in front of Jones' vehicle... At no time during the recording did Raja say he was a police officer."

A transcript of the interaction between the two men, published by the Post, indicates that Raja initially asked if Jones was OK:

Raja: You good?

Jones: I'm good

Raja: Really?

Jones: Yeah, I'm good.

Raja: Really?

Jones: Yeah

Raja: Get your fucking hands up! Get your fucking hands up!

Jones: Hold on!

Raja: Get your fucking hands up! Drop!

The Post said Jones was on the phone with someone when Raja fired on him, causing the person on the other end of the line to say, "Oh my gosh!"

About 30 seconds after firing his final shot, Raja called 911 and told the dispatcher, "I came out, I saw him come out with a handgun. I gave him commands, I identified myself, and he turned, pointed the gun at me, and started running. I shot him."

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Valmy

So you see a guy with a gun and the way police are supposed to handle that situation is to escalate and provoke a confrontation?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Berkut

It's Florida. They have laws that state that you are allowed to shoot people as long as you feel threatened, even if you could just walk away.

I don't see how this could possibly be a crime. It is the inevitable result of the "polite, armed society". If the other guy is likely to have a gun, and you have a gun, then whoever draws and shoots first wins. You can't wait until he *proves* he has a gun, that will result in you being the dead one. Clearly that is the mistake the "victim" made in this case.
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

Grey Fox

Why are cops so scared all the time nowadays?
Colonel Caliga is Awesome.