The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martinus

garbo, could you explain, in simple words, what is the message from that side by side comparison?

CountDeMoney

A search for "Three black teenagers" generates police mugshots.
A search for "Three white teenagers" generates fun!

Martinus

Incidentally, three Asian teenagers have three Asian girls naked.  :lol:

Martinus

Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 31, 2016, 06:31:58 AM

I got it. But what's the underlying message (other than "Oh look!"). Is it that google uses some sort of faulty algorithm or that these search results actually reflect how frequent these pics are? So, in other words, is it google that is racist or the reality?

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on March 31, 2016, 06:35:49 AM
Quote from: CountDeMoney on March 31, 2016, 06:31:58 AM

I got it. But what's the underlying message (other than "Oh look!"). Is it that google uses some sort of faulty algorithm or that these search results actually reflect how frequent these pics are? So, in other words, is it google that is racist or the reality?

It would be a reflection of how people speak about those two groups (which in speak including news media) online. So in other words, none of the conclusions that you drew.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Martinus

Or it could be that black teenagers commit more crimes than white teenagers?

garbon

Google images, afaik, isn't supposed to be a viewer of who instigates more crimes. :hmm:

Leaving aside bit about crimes committed as I don't have any stats on that other than I know that yes, as with adults, proportionally more black teens are arrested than white teens.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

CountDeMoney

I googled "Polish cuckold wine glass" and got inconsistent results.

garbon

Martinus

QuotePolice: Man punched officer, shouted 'Black Lives Matter'
Updated: March 30, 2016 — 8:06 AM EDT

BELLEVUE, Pa. (AP) - Police say a man punched a suburban Pittsburgh officer who was sitting in a parked police cruiser then yelled "Black Lives Matter" as he was taken into custody.

Twenty-three-year-old Domenick Hoy has been jailed on aggravated assault, resisting arrest and other charges pending a preliminary hearing April 7.

Bellevue police say Hoy was running and screaming toward the officer's car as it was parked across from the police station on Thursday night. When the officer rolled down his window to ask Hoy what was wrong, police say the Bellevue man punched the officer, breaking his nose.

Online court records don't list an attorney for Hoy.

Bellevue is a tiny borough just west of Pittsburgh.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20160330_ap_8ca1fed9635945098018ef05dfe5c007.html#HPaUK1cokiY1ybss.99

:lol:

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on March 31, 2016, 06:41:25 AM
It would be a reflection of how people speak about those two groups (which in speak including news media) online. So in other words, none of the conclusions that you drew.

Yep. Though usually when I hear people refer to teenagers in general it is usually just how much they suck.

Though the 'three white teenagers' sure seems surprisingly multi-ethnic. It must be a reflection of how the definition of "whiteness" expands.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

garbon

Quote from: Martinus on March 31, 2016, 07:31:15 AM
QuotePolice: Man punched officer, shouted 'Black Lives Matter'
Updated: March 30, 2016 — 8:06 AM EDT

BELLEVUE, Pa. (AP) - Police say a man punched a suburban Pittsburgh officer who was sitting in a parked police cruiser then yelled "Black Lives Matter" as he was taken into custody.

Twenty-three-year-old Domenick Hoy has been jailed on aggravated assault, resisting arrest and other charges pending a preliminary hearing April 7.

Bellevue police say Hoy was running and screaming toward the officer's car as it was parked across from the police station on Thursday night. When the officer rolled down his window to ask Hoy what was wrong, police say the Bellevue man punched the officer, breaking his nose.

Online court records don't list an attorney for Hoy.

Bellevue is a tiny borough just west of Pittsburgh.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20160330_ap_8ca1fed9635945098018ef05dfe5c007.html#HPaUK1cokiY1ybss.99

:lol:

What's the funny bit beyond the absurdity of just running up to someone and punching them.

11B4V

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Malthus

Quote from: Valmy on March 31, 2016, 07:52:26 AM
Yep. Though usually when I hear people refer to teenagers in general it is usually just how much they suck.

The people you hang with discuss that in public?

:P
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

Valmy

Quote from: Malthus on March 31, 2016, 09:36:32 AM
The people you hang with discuss that in public?

:P

Sorry. When I see stuff about Teenagers on the internet.

Wait. Oh I see what you did there.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."