The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DGuller

There is a valid concern about bodycams.  There must be safeguards in place to make sure it's a two-way street.  You can't have them function properly when it shows the officer in good light, and malfunction when some shit goes down.

Valmy

Quote from: DGuller on August 20, 2015, 10:49:17 AM
There is a valid concern about bodycams.  There must be safeguards in place to make sure it's a two-way street.  You can't have them function properly when it shows the officer in good light, and malfunction when some shit goes down.

Well naturally that would defeat the whole point. But I never said there were not any valid concerns. But this person was suggesting they are absolutely evil because they are government spying and somebody would have to make them. Aren't there a few items on the other side of the ledger?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on August 20, 2015, 10:46:37 AM
I am not either. But if we are going to have government surveillance than it could not possibly be more transparent than connected to uniformed and easily identifiable government officials? Besides everybody kind of knows to get your shit together when the cops show up.

And further what is her alternative? I presume, perhaps misguidedly, that if she is being quoted on the NewsHour she is a person of some influence. The camera thing was so outrageous it was used to demonize a candidate to justify why they were problematic. Not a thoughtful comment on the possible downsides of using cameras.

It's an op-ed piece, not a news story.  I agree that many people don't thought through all of their ideas before expressing them, and she's one of them.  However much I might disagree with her positions, though, I do applaud her for at least being able to explain them.  I've seen an awful lot of arguments that aren't even well-enough thought out that the authors can give even bad reasons why they think that way.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: garbon on August 20, 2015, 09:53:37 AM
Quote from: derspiess on August 20, 2015, 09:45:40 AM
Quote from: Malthus on August 20, 2015, 09:36:33 AM
The problem appears to be that respect for the integrity of the police is so low in this community that the police account of such situations is automatically not believed.

That, plus the level of outrage must be maintained despite facts.

Yes because the natural state of black people is to be angry.

How far does the Black Lives Matter movement go without outrage?
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Berkut

So someone drove by the local Boys and Girls club in Rochester and killed 3 people, and injured 4 as a crowd was coming out following a basketball game.

The mayor was droning about this when a rather interesting interruption occurred...

http://www.democratandchronicle.com/videos/news/2015/08/20/32047583/

"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

derspiess

That dude was obviously an agent of The Man.
"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Liep

"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

Grey Fox

Colonel Caliga is Awesome.

derspiess

"If you can play a guitar and harmonica at the same time, like Bob Dylan or Neil Young, you're a genius. But make that extra bit of effort and strap some cymbals to your knees, suddenly people want to get the hell away from you."  --Rich Hall

Liep

Quote from: derspiess on August 26, 2015, 08:35:27 AM
Wrong thread unless a cop shot him.

Is there a more general American shooting gallery thread?
"Af alle latterlige Ting forekommer det mig at være det allerlatterligste at have travlt" - Kierkegaard

"JamenajmenømahrmDÆ!DÆ! Æhvnårvaæhvadlelæh! Hvor er det crazy, det her, mand!" - Uffe Elbæk

derspiess

Valmy

Wow so senseless. I am not even sure what to say.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Caliga

Quote from: Valmy on August 26, 2015, 08:37:36 AM
Wow so senseless. I am not even sure what to say.
At least you weren't the anchor they cut away to.  Imagine how she felt when she didn't know what to say, but had to say something on live TV. :cry:
0 Ed Anger Disapproval Points

dps

Quote from: derspiess on August 26, 2015, 08:35:27 AM
Wrong thread unless a cop shot him.

Did a cop commit the drive-by shooting in Rochester, too?