The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrister

So someone named Shaun King, who does seem somehow affiliated with the Black Lives Matter movement, has apparently been outed as, you guessed it, a white man pretending to be black.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/08/19/did-black-lives-matter-organiser-shaun-king-mislead-oprah-winfrey-by-pretending-to-be-biracial/
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

garbon

White people, tearing black folk down in a million different ways. :weep:
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

Quote from: garbon on August 19, 2015, 02:10:17 PM

:console:

Back to the BLM stuff: Anyway don't get me wrong if BLM leads some big anti-police violence march here I would probably join them but damn. I mean dismantling the military-industrial complex seems just a little out of the scope of the cause here.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

grumbler

Quote from: Valmy on August 19, 2015, 02:46:38 PM
Quote from: garbon on August 19, 2015, 02:10:17 PM

:console:

Back to the BLM stuff: Anyway don't get me wrong if BLM leads some big anti-police violence march here I would probably join them but damn. I mean dismantling the military-industrial complex seems just a little out of the scope of the cause here.

So long as all those tens of thousands of political prisoners get released, I could care less about dismantling the military-industrial complex and ending gentrification.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: Habbaku on August 19, 2015, 01:10:31 PM
Quote from: Martinus on August 19, 2015, 07:20:50 AM
Not sure about that but you are clearly selective in your outrage. For example, your profile picture features an ISIS murderess. Even if ironic, this seems bad taste - more than if, say, Derspiess had Zimmermann's pic in his profile, for example.

:lmfao:

Maybe he had a bad experience with a bean pie?
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

DGuller

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on August 19, 2015, 04:04:19 PM
Can someone explain Marti's joke to me?  :huh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhHMTgN9i4o

Edit:  On second thought, I don't think he was aware that it was a joke.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

garbon

Quote from: Barrister on August 19, 2015, 02:01:45 PM
So someone named Shaun King, who does seem somehow affiliated with the Black Lives Matter movement, has apparently been outed as, you guessed it, a white man pretending to be black.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/08/19/did-black-lives-matter-organiser-shaun-king-mislead-oprah-winfrey-by-pretending-to-be-biracial/

As a side note....Breitbart? :x

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

jimmy olsen

It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

Kleves

Quote from: jimmy olsen on August 19, 2015, 07:16:38 PM
Thankfully the jury found the driver innocent.
Actually, Tim, the jury appears to found him guilty of stealing the officer's gun by force or through the threat of force. I wonder if the driver - convicted of a serious felony and heading to prison for at least a decade - would agree that he was found innocent. 
My aim, then, was to whip the rebels, to humble their pride, to follow them to their inmost recesses, and make them fear and dread us. Fear is the beginning of wisdom.

jimmy olsen

Quote from: Kleves on August 19, 2015, 07:52:31 PM
Actually, Tim, the jury appears to found him guilty of stealing the officer's gun by force or through the threat of force. I wonder if the driver - convicted of a serious felony and heading to prison for at least a decade - would agree that he was found innocent.
He was found innocent of shooting the police officer, which is what I was refrencing. The rest is immaterial.
It is far better for the truth to tear my flesh to pieces, then for my soul to wander through darkness in eternal damnation.

Jet: So what kind of woman is she? What's Julia like?
Faye: Ordinary. The kind of beautiful, dangerous ordinary that you just can't leave alone.
Jet: I see.
Faye: Like an angel from the underworld. Or a devil from Paradise.
--------------------------------------------
1 Karma Chameleon point

grumbler

Quote from: Kleves on August 19, 2015, 07:52:31 PM

I think that it is obvious that there is far more to this story than the superficial treatment by Slate implies.  Like the fact that Slate ignores the fact that Riley was, in fact, an ex-felon, and the fact that it only parenthetically mentions that Riley was found guilty of theft.  I rather suspect that the "unexpectedly severe 10 years in prison" was not unexpected at all.

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Yeah, I imagine that courts don't look to kindly on people that steal guns from cops.  Actually, that whole aspect sounds like something worth exploring further, rather than serving as an aside.  :huh: