The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Malthus

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane—Marcus Aurelius

DGuller

Wow, Kim Potter found guilty on both charges.  Seems a little twisted how so many psychos with itchy trigger fingers don't even make it out of the grand jury, while someone who openly and credibly admitted to an awful mistake is found guilty.  Obviously the jury is aware of much more than what is known to the public, but given my level of knowledge, this outcome just seems to reward blue code of silence mafia approach to police accountability.

grumbler

Yeah, the Potter verdict, like the Potter indictment, surpass my understanding of the law.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Quote from: grumbler on December 23, 2021, 02:42:15 PM
Yeah, the Potter verdict, like the Potter indictment, surpass my understanding of the law.

Well, yeah...
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Berkut

Quote from: DGuller on December 23, 2021, 02:37:59 PM
Wow, Kim Potter found guilty on both charges.  Seems a little twisted how so many psychos with itchy trigger fingers don't even make it out of the grand jury, while someone who openly and credibly admitted to an awful mistake is found guilty.  Obviously the jury is aware of much more than what is known to the public, but given my level of knowledge, this outcome just seems to reward blue code of silence mafia approach to police accountability.

She was found guilty of manslaughter, right? After she killed someone because she shot them while thinking she was tasering them?

Isn't that pretty much the textbook definition of manslaughter?
"If you think this has a happy ending, then you haven't been paying attention."

select * from users where clue > 0
0 rows returned

DGuller

Quote from: Berkut on December 24, 2021, 10:40:48 AM
Quote from: DGuller on December 23, 2021, 02:37:59 PM

She was found guilty of manslaughter, right? After she killed someone because she shot them while thinking she was tasering them?

Obviously I am not a lawyer, but I think there is more to a manslaughter conviction than just killing someone by accident.  I think it requires some recklessness, where your bad choices coupled with bad luck lead to someone's death.  I guess the separating line is whether you think a brainfart is reckless or just something that happens. 

I'm inclined to believe that in high pressure situations, especially ones not encountered often and which come up suddenly, the brain can really fuck up in inexplicable ways.  The airline industry is full of examples of how pilots who had no interest in killing themselves nevertheless acted in ways almost seemed desgined to crash the plane after encountering trouble, which is why there is a lot of training done for that now to try to work around that human tendency.  I don't see what social purpose is served by punishing people that in the situation they were in were just victims of their own brains reacting badly to highly stressful situations.

In my mind, a manslaughter conviction would be warranted if Kim Potter blew off the weapon confusion training course and faked its completion, as that is a reckless act that could take someone's life much further down the road.

grumbler

She was convicted of both first- and second-degree manslaughter.  First-degree because she was convicted of committing the crime of recklessly mishandling her firearm in such a way as to knowingly endanger others while also killing someone, and second-degree because she "consciously took a chance of causing death or great bodily harm."  The jury believed that she consciously chose to risk killing Wright when she pulled out her "taser."

As I said earlier, the dissonance between the facts known to me and the law as I understand it, and the indictments and verdict, is extreme.  There must be facts which have not been made public, or the law doesn't work the way I thought the law worked.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Sheilbh

Yeah - that's how I'd read it too.

I know nothing about criminal law - and I know nothing about this case or American law. But if there's recklessness I wonder if there' an element of objectiveness - so is it a mistake a reasonable police officer (with all the training that should include and in that situation) would make? So would a reasonable police officer pull out the wrong weapon?
Let's bomb Russia!

Berkut

She shot someone.

She used a tool whose entire purpose is the killing of another human being, and killed another human being.

She run a red light and hit someone with her car (which, I bet, could also result in a manslaughter charge). She pulled out a gun, aimed it at someone, and shot them.

If that is second degree manslaughter, I am not sure what is...

This was not "killing someone by accident". How is pulling out a gun, aiming it at someone, and pulling the trigger simply an accident?

Yes, yes I do think that is reckless. I do not think it is a brainfart - I don't think she did something that surprise, surprise! who could have thought that would go so badly!

0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on December 24, 2021, 03:26:59 PM

She was convicted of both first- and second-degree manslaughter.  First-degree because she was convicted of committing the crime of recklessly mishandling her firearm in such a way as to knowingly endanger others while also killing someone, and second-degree because she "consciously took a chance of causing death or great bodily harm."  The jury believed that she consciously chose to risk killing Wright when she pulled out her "taser."

As I said earlier, the dissonance between the facts known to me and the law as I understand it, and the indictments and verdict, is extreme.  There must be facts which have not been made public, or the law doesn't work the way I thought the law worked.

OK, the first degree charge is a bit harder to understand. Under Minnesota law, I don't really see which of the statutes her actions would apply to...

0 rows returned

grumbler

Quote from: Berkut on December 24, 2021, 03:30:25 PM
She shot someone.

She used a tool whose entire purpose is the killing of another human being, and killed another human being.

She run a red light and hit someone with her car (which, I bet, could also result in a manslaughter charge). She pulled out a gun, aimed it at someone, and shot them.

This was not "killing someone by accident". How is pulling out a gun, aiming it at someone, and pulling the trigger simply an accident?

Yes, yes I do think that is reckless. I do not think it is a brainfart - I don't think she did something that surprise, surprise! who could have thought that would go so badly!

It is an interesting parallel to the shooting on the "Rust" set.  Alec Baldwin shot someone.

He used a tool whose entire purpose is the killing of another human being, and killed another human being.

He pulled out a gun, aimed it at someone, and shot them.

Bayraktar!

Eddie Teach

To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

DGuller

She shot someone.

Obviously she did not realize it was a gun she was pointing, so the consequence of her pulling a trigger was indeed a surprise to her (as evidenced by the cameras).  If you legitimately think you're pointing one thing and are in fact pointing another, that's a brainfart.  Not all brainfarts are excusable, obviously; surgeon cutting off the wrong leg is also a brainfart, but one that is not forced by extreme time pressure of the event.  In this case, a very dangerous situation developed in a matter of seconds.

Berkut

Quote from: grumbler on December 24, 2021, 03:39:52 PM
She shot someone.

It is an interesting parallel to the shooting on the "Rust" set.  Alec Baldwin shot someone.

He used a tool whose entire purpose is the killing of another human being, and killed another human being.

He pulled out a gun, aimed it at someone, and shot them.

That is a good comparison.

The difference is one of context of course. She was not on a movie set, she was acting as a police officer, which implies I think a certain amount of caution, training, and basic respect for her tools.

But that is an excellent counter point. It is a similar set of circumstances, but the differences are legally compelling.

0 rows returned

Berkut

Quote from: Eddie Teach on December 24, 2021, 03:45:58 PM
You forget, Baldwin is also a celebrity.

I don't think that has anything to do with it, actually.

0 rows returned