The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Josquius

Quote from: Sheilbh on July 26, 2021, 11:38:44 AM
Quote from: DGuller on July 26, 2021, 11:16:45 AM
I don't know about the merits of this particular case, and I wouldn't want to make a judgment from a single article with a point to make, but in general I hate putting "post-processing" in scare quotes.  Not post-processing misleading data is just as dishonest as altering non-misleading data.
Yeah - I think the wider question is how accurate it is more generally. Although 10% getting "fixed" by humans is about 2,000 incidents in Chicago it'd be interesting to have a breakdown of that - how many of the corrections are going in one way etc.

The worry I'd have is that it sort of goes the way of blood spatter or bitemark analysis.

I also find it interesting that this technology is in use because microphones/sound recording far more intrusive than CCTV for example.

I guess it depends how many mics it needs.
Fireworks and gun shots are pretty loud. If they've one mic on a phone mast coveting half a mile around I don't see much problem there.
If they've small hidden mics all over listening to people then that would be creepy.
██████
██████
██████

garbon

Quote from: Sheilbh on August 02, 2021, 06:20:09 PM
I remember videos of one of these incidents at the time and it was absolutely horrendous - glad he's been found guilty. Hopefully the sentence is suitable as well:

Yes, let's see what sentence he gets.

On a point not germane to the issue at hand:

QuoteJones at one point said he "did not believe in the virus", the court heard.

How does one not believe in COVID? It clearly exists despite whether or not one thinks masks, lockdowns etc. are necessary.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Sheilbh

Quote from: garbon on August 03, 2021, 03:02:18 AMOn a point not germane to the issue at hand:

QuoteJones at one point said he "did not believe in the virus", the court heard.

How does one not believe in COVID? It clearly exists despite whether or not one thinks masks, lockdowns etc. are necessary.
Totally - in a year of very weird conspiracy theories, the one I struggle with most is the idea that covid itself is a hoax :blink:

QuoteI guess it depends how many mics it needs.
Fireworks and gun shots are pretty loud. If they've one mic on a phone mast coveting half a mile around I don't see much problem there.
If they've small hidden mics all over listening to people then that would be creepy.
From what I've read they're normally about 15-20 per square mile - which feels like a lot to me and as I cay I think mics are more intrusive than cameras.
Let's bomb Russia!

Syt

Quote from: garbon on August 03, 2021, 03:02:18 AM

I'm baffled that apparently some people believe there's a conspiracy that causes governments to tank their economies with lockdowns (tanking the economy usually being a surefire way not to get re-relected) and using masks as a means of control. Control for what purpose? Just for the heck of it, apparently. I mean if reading and watching coverage of demonstrations these last 30 years have taught me anything it's that law enforcement HATES the idea of a masked public.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Minsky Moment

When you start with 1 part Trumper loon and add just a little bit of Foucault, the results can get weird fast.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Neil

Quote from: Syt on August 03, 2021, 07:59:06 AM

I'm baffled that apparently some people believe there's a conspiracy that causes governments to tank their economies with lockdowns (tanking the economy usually being a surefire way not to get re-relected) and using masks as a means of control. Control for what purpose? Just for the heck of it, apparently. I mean if reading and watching coverage of demonstrations these last 30 years have taught me anything it's that law enforcement HATES the idea of a masked public.
The interesting thing is that they think that the vaccines are deadly poisons that will kill people to reduce the population.  But why would the evil overlords want to kill the obedient people who get the shots and leave only the needlessly defiant fools who refuse to get the shot?  Wouldn't it make more sense to just make the disease be super-deadly? 

Conspiracy thinkers are not anywhere near as clever as they think they are.  Just pure contrarianism might get you likes on social media, but it's not a good way to organize your life. 
I do not hate you, nor do I love you, but you are made out of atoms which I can use for something else.

DGuller

:yes: I've myself been slowly coming to a conclusion that anti-vax conspiracy theorists are not as clever as they think they are.

The Minsky Moment

I can't tell how clever anti-vax conspiracy theorists think they are.   I could look up some of their discussions but there are other higher priority tasks like watching grass grow and counting backwards from 100,000.  Also I can't seem to find gibberish-English in google translate.
The purpose of studying economics is not to acquire a set of ready-made answers to economic questions, but to learn how to avoid being deceived by economists.
--Joan Robinson

Eddie Teach

Quote from: DGuller on August 06, 2021, 03:58:34 PM
:yes: I've myself been slowly coming to a conclusion that anti-vax conspiracy theorists are not as clever as they think they are.

"Slowly"    :lol:
To sleep, perchance to dream. But in that sleep of death, what dreams may come?

viper37

A disease that does not make you sick...

don't you read our Facebook thread here? :P :P

Lot's of people believe it's a fake ploy by the Dems to discredit Trump, a plot by world governments to control their population, a fake disease invented to crash the economy, etc.

What? You only talked to sane people in an average day or what?? :P
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Syt

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/men-shot-rittenhouse-can-t-be-called-victims-during-trial-n1282466

QuoteMen shot by Rittenhouse can't be called 'victims' during trial, but 'rioters,' 'looters' are OK, judge rules

The judge said using the word "victim" to describe the men shot by Rittenhouse, including two who died, would be loaded with prejudice.

The three men Kyle Rittenhouse shot during a protest against police brutality in Wisconsin can be labeled rioters, looters or arsonists if the teenager's defense team has evidence to support the characterizations — but they shouldn't be called victims, the judge in his murder trial ruled this week.

The decision was among the ground rules Kenosha County Judge Bruce E. Schroeder set Monday for the trial, which is expected to begin Nov. 1.

Rittenhouse, 18, was charged with homicide and attempted homicide after he fatally shot Joseph Rosenbaum, 36, and Anthony Huber, 26, and wounded Gaige Grosskreutz in Kenosha during protests that followed the shooting of Jacob Blake, a Black man, by a white police officer.

He has pleaded not guilty to all charges and is free on bond.

Rittenhouse, who was 17 at the time of the shootings, used a semiautomatic rifle that resembles the made-for-the-military AR-15. He has said that he went to the demonstrations on Aug. 25, 2020, to help protect businesses from looters when he was attacked and that he acted in self-defense.

Assistant District Attorney Thomas Binger had asked the judge to prohibit the defense from describing the men who were shot with pejorative language.

On Monday, Schroeder reiterated his reportedly long-held policy against allowing the word "victim" in his criminal trials until there is a conviction. He said the word is "loaded" with prejudgment.

Binger, the prosecutor, argued that the words "rioters," "looters" and "arsonists" are "loaded, if not more loaded," than "victim."

"You've not let me call someone a victim when it was proven," he told Schroeder.

Binger said that whatever the three men were up to before they were shot had nothing to do with their confrontations with Rittenhouse and his decision to open fire. He argued that Rittenhouse had not seen the three do anything criminal when he shot them.

Binger did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Attorneys for the families of the three men who were shot did not respond, either.

Grosskreutz, who has not been charged with a crime, sued the city, the county and law enforcement this month, alleging that Kenosha officials enabled a "band of white nationalist vigilantes" during the protest.

A spokesperson representing the city and the police department declined to comment. An attorney representing Kenosha County and the sheriff labeled the allegations as false.

"The lawsuit also fails to acknowledge that Mr. Grosskreutz was himself armed with a firearm when he was shot and Mr. Grosskreutz failed to file the lawsuit against the person who actually shot him," said the lawyer, Sam Hall.
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

Barrister

It's a debate that comes up from time to time.  Defence lawyers hate the word "victim", as it somehow assumes that a crime has been committed, when that's the purpose of the trial to determine.

As a Prosecutor, I argue that (just to pick an example) if someone has their house broken into they're a victim.  Maybe this particular Accused didn't do it - but the victim still had their stuff stolen.

So the preferred word is "complainant" - but I think that's just as loaded as "victim", as nobody likes someone who complains.
Posts here are my own private opinions.  I do not speak for my employer.

grumbler

In the Rittenhouse case, they can call the guys who were shot "recipients."
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Razgovory

Ron DeSantis is encouraging police officers who resigned or were terminated over vaccines or masks to move to Florida.  The state is giving out 6,000 bucks to any police officer who relocates to Florida over said issues.  Because insubordination, contempt for rules, and indifference to public health are desirable traits in armed law enforcement officers.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

The Brain

Quote from: Razgovory on October 27, 2021, 01:15:33 PM
Ron DeSantis is encouraging police officers who resigned or were terminated over vaccines or masks to move to Florida. 

I think most sane states are.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.