The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Yi

Jacob

Quote from: PDH on April 12, 2021, 07:44:19 PM
It seems to me that enough people of color have been shot, beaten, tazed, etc. when following police orders to make the "just follow orders" defense a bit weaker...

A non-trivial number of white folks have been shot, beaten, tazed etc as well. There's both a racism problem and a unjustified violence problem.

Jacob

Sheilbh

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 12, 2021, 07:39:03 PM
Your examples don't fit your thesis. 

We ask firemen to go into burning buildings but we don't demand they act is if there is no risk.  We provide protective gear and oxygen and expect them to use it..  We wouldn't expect a member of the military to walk toward an enemy position unarmed and talk them into surrendering.  We would expect him or her to take measures to safeguard their own security.
No. But we provide them with equipment and with training and ask them to do those roles, at their own personal risk. We can't eliminate that risk and part of the job we're asking them to do acknowledges that they can't and sometimes shouldn't eliminate the person risk to themselves.

So for the military we ask them to achieve whatever the objective is - General Sir Mike Jackson has spoken about his fear that the whole "heroes" language and sentimentality around soldiers will make the military less useful, because society becomes more concerned with the safety of the soldiers than the state and then military objectives they're being asked to deliver. It'd be great if that could always be with zero casualties, but sometimes it can't.

We did have a shortage of PPE and we didn't tell hospitals to stop tending to victims of the pandemic. The priority was for them to do their job caring for the sick, even though there were awful consequences of that failure to have sufficient PPE.

I get that because of guns the risk to police in the US is a lot higher and because they carry guns they always have a possibility to eliminate that risk. But there may be times when that's not the option - as a police force - that they should take. And I agree with Oex's points.
Let's bomb Russia!

Admiral Yi

Razgovory

Quote from: DGuller on April 12, 2021, 07:38:07 PM
Yeah, I think there has to be a recognition that taking on a risk is part of the job.  If you treat citizens you deal with as citizens rather than civilians, you're probably going to have some cops killed when they wouldn't otherwise be killed.  That's the consequence of living in a country that protects the rights of not just cops, but also citizens.  I'm sure that ordering a drone strike on every car you pull over will likewise result in less cop deaths, but I think even some in the Blue Lives Matter movement would argue that this is an excessive measure to ensure the safety of cops.

I really hate the police talking about people as "civilians".  Police are not an army, yet they have the mindset of an occupying force.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Jacob

DGuller

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 12, 2021, 08:16:47 PM
Quote from: Jacob on April 12, 2021, 07:47:04 PM
... so better strike first, just in case?

In some cases, absolutely.
This is one of those statements that can use some expounding.

grumbler

Quote from: PDH on April 12, 2021, 07:44:19 PM
It seems to me that enough people of color have been shot, beaten, tazed, etc. when following police orders to make the "just follow orders" defense a bit weaker...

Anyone who has read the Daniel Shaver story (DG mentioned him earlier) will understand that "just follow orders" can still get you murdered.

We've got way too many of the wrong kinds of cops.  If a cop thinks like Yi, that every citizen is on the verge of becoming an enemy combatant, then we need to get rid of that cop as a danger to society.  Too much chance of more cop murders.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

Admiral Yi

Quote from: DGuller on April 12, 2021, 08:46:03 PM

I can conceive of situations in which it is better for the cops to shoot first than wait for the suspect to shoot.

Can you not?

11B4V

https://kstp.com/news/bca-identifies-officer-in-daunte-wright-shooting/6073236/

Potter has worked for the department for nearly 25 years and is president of the Brooklyn Center Police Officer's Association. In that role, she has represented other officers involved in deadly shootings.

According to an investigation by the Hennepin County Attorney's office, Potter was one of the first officers to arrive after police shot and killed Kobe Dimock-Heisler in 2019.

Investigative records show Potter advised the officers during the early stages of the investigation and was present when one officer gave his statement. Those officers were eventually cleared of any wrongdoing.

"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

11B4V

26 year police officer, Union President......no excuse for that mistake.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 12, 2021, 09:11:01 PM
Quote from: DGuller on April 12, 2021, 08:46:03 PM

I can conceive of situations in which it is better for the cops to shoot first than wait for the suspect to shoot.

Can you not?

If you conceive of "enemy combatant" as "someone who is shooting at the police" and think it's sometimes okay for the cops to shoot first, because they believe the person is about to shoot, yeah fine.

But we're talking about treating people who are not about to shoot back as "enemy combatants". Someone's hands going out of sight has been used countless times as a reason for shooting them. Some kid lying on the ground holding a toy truck. Some kid in a park holding a toy gun. Some guy at Walmart shopping, holding merchandise. Someone trying to pull up their pants. Someone reaching for their drivers license.

Those people were treated as enemy combatants and shot. They should not have been.

Admiral Yi

Quote from: Jacob on April 12, 2021, 09:18:53 PM
But we're talking about treating people who are not about to shoot back, and treating them as "enemy combatants".

We weren't before.  We were talking about all people.  All people includes not so nice people.

Jacob

Quote from: Admiral Yi on April 12, 2021, 09:21:23 PM
Quote from: Jacob on April 12, 2021, 09:18:53 PM
But we're talking about treating people who are not about to shoot back, and treating them as "enemy combatants".

We weren't before.  We were talking about all people.  All people includes not so nice people.

That's all we're talking about. We are talking about the American police routinely assuming that people they encounter are "not so nice people" and using that as a reason to shoot a whole bunch of people who, it turns out, were no threat to the police at all; and using those same assumptions to harass and hurt people who are posing no threat to them and are in fact perfectly nice.