The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syt

Tucker Carlson: "Are we really surprised that looting and arson accelerated to murder? How shocked are we that 17 year olds with rifles decided they had to maintain order when no one else would?"

Source: https://twitter.com/yashar/status/1298776744854302721?s=20
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

Proud owner of 42 Zoupa Points.

The Larch

Quote from: Syt on August 27, 2020, 09:53:53 AM
Tucker Carlson: "Are we really surprised that looting and arson accelerated to murder? How shocked are we that 17 year olds with rifles decided they had to maintain order when no one else would?"

Sheilbh beat you tot he punch.  :P

I wonder if, at some point, Fox and/or their pundits will be held accountable for their role in stoking the flames.

Syt

Quote from: The Larch on August 27, 2020, 12:19:39 PM
Quote from: Syt on August 27, 2020, 09:53:53 AM

Sheilbh beat you tot he punch.  :P

I wonder if, at some point, Fox and/or their pundits will be held accountable for their role in stoking the flames.

:lol: :lol:
I am, somehow, less interested in the weight and convolutions of Einstein's brain than in the near certainty that people of equal talent have lived and died in cotton fields and sweatshops.
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Larch

Quote from: mongers on August 27, 2020, 09:25:07 AM
Quote from: Sheilbh on August 27, 2020, 06:47:56 AM
Yeah it made me think of the pictures like this:

The guy on the right with the M1 carbine (?) out-cools Samuel L.Jackson, he should have been in Hollywood.

The guy on the left is mearly, common or garden 60s cool.  :)

Samuel L Jackson was actually tangentially involved with the Black Panthers and other Black Power movements in the late 60s, even getting a criminal record for his worries:

QuoteAfter Martin Luther King Jr.'s assassination in 1968, Jackson attended King's funeral in Atlanta as one of the ushers. He then travelled to Memphis, Tennessee, to join an equal rights protest march. In a 2005 Parade interview, he revealed, "I was angry about the assassination, but I wasn't shocked by it. I knew that change was going to take something different – not sit-ins, not peaceful coexistence." In 1969, Jackson and several other students held members of the Morehouse College board of trustees (including Martin Luther King Sr.) hostage on the campus, demanding reform in the school's curriculum and governance. The college eventually agreed to change its policy, but Jackson was charged with and eventually convicted of unlawful confinement, a second-degree felony. He was then suspended for two years for his criminal record and his actions. He would later return to the college to earn a BA in drama in 1972. While he was suspended, he took a job as a social worker in Los Angeles. He decided to return to Atlanta, where he met with Stokely Carmichael, H. Rap Brown, and others active in the Black Power movement. He began to feel empowered with his involvement in the movement, especially when the group began buying guns. However, before he could become involved with any significant armed confrontations, his mother sent him to Los Angeles after the FBI warned her that he would die within a year if he remained with the group. In a 2018 interview with Vogue, he denied having been a member of the Black Panther Party.

There are plenty of pictures from the Sacramento incident which feature the guy with the sunglasses and beret, always indeed looking very cool and blacksplotation-ish.

merithyn

:lol:

And there's God's fuck you to the Confederacy.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/27/us/hurricane-laura-damaged-confederate-monument-trnd/index.html

QuoteHurricane Laura's howling winds in Louisiana tore through roofs, shattered windows and forced thousands of people to seek shelter. The hurricane also toppled a controversial Confederate monument in the heart of downtown Lake Charles.

Just two weeks ago, the Calcasieu Parish Police Jury voted 10-4 to keep the South's Defenders Monument in place in front of the Calcasieu Parish Courthouse.
But Laura -- with sustained winds of 150 mph when it made landfall early Thursday morning -- knocked the 105-year-old statue off its base.
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

DGuller

Woah, WTF, did we discuss this one from four months ago: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/colorado-teenager-was-fatally-shot-while-running-away-duty-officer-n1238455?

How do you have a strong self-defense case when shooting someone who is at a distance and running away from you in the back?  Strong enough to not even bother with prosecution?  Maybe there needs to be a way to make these kinds of cases federal crimes, just like hate crimes, so that the shooters can be brought to justice (and maybe accessory after the fact DAs for that matter).

grumbler

Quote from: DGuller on August 27, 2020, 06:18:48 PM
Woah, WTF, did we discuss this one from four months ago: https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/colorado-teenager-was-fatally-shot-while-running-away-duty-officer-n1238455?

How do you have a strong self-defense case when shooting someone who is at a distance and running away from you in the back?  Strong enough to not even bother with prosecution?  Maybe there needs to be a way to make these kinds of cases federal crimes, just like hate crimes, so that the shooters can be brought to justice (and maybe accessory after the fact DAs for that matter).

I imagine that it would be hard to get a jury to convict a man for firing at someone whom he suspects just committed a felony and who has now burst into the man's own yard.

The case sucks and it's hard, knowing all the facts, to justify self-defense in any way, but Manning's lawyer could certainly make the case for reasonable doubt.

The fact that Manning was an off-duty officer had nothing to do with the case. 

The Jacob Blake case provides a much better example (or George Floyd, for that matter) of cases that could easily be made federal as hate crimes or deliberate denial of civil rights.  A guy standing in his own home shooting an intruder, not so much.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!

DGuller

Quote from: grumbler on August 27, 2020, 07:36:29 PM
The fact that Manning was an off-duty officer had nothing to do with the case. 
I think it has something to do with it, although it is impossible to prove.  Manning was not on duty, so he was acting as a private citizen, but at the same time he was not on the civilian side of the thin blue line.  It would be safe to assume that whatever "professional courtesy" is extended to cops that kill would probably be extended to him as well.  By virtue of being an officer he was probably less likely to be charged, and if charged less likely to be prosecuted in good faith.

Sheilbh

So several people are pointing out that papers rarely do this much work distancing young black men from crime:

This is from a UK paper, of course.

But the other point I find striking is I've seen lots about the shooter and very little about the victims. I worry there's a sort of copycat/inspiration risk here especially because he was 17 - a bit like how there's been studies linked to one school shooting being followed by others. There are lots of recommendations to avoid this, largely about the media coverage things like: don't dramatise it, don't make the shooter into some kind of anti-hero, focus on the victims. I understand a similar approach is recommended after terrorist attacks to really try and avoid people being "inspired by". It feels like something that we have slowly been improving at in the last few years.

But none of that seems to be happening here.
Let's bomb Russia!

Tamas

Razgovory

Teenage spree killer murders two; is defended by the Times.
I've given it serious thought. I must scorn the ways of my family, and seek a Japanese woman to yield me my progeny. He shall live in the lands of the east, and be well tutored in his sacred trust to weave the best traditions of Japan and the Sacred South together, until such time as he (or, indeed his house, which will periodically require infusion of both Southern and Japanese bloodlines of note) can deliver to the South it's independence, either in this world or in space.  -Lettow April of 2011

Raz is right. -MadImmortalMan March of 2017

Syt

"Rejected destitute Austrian art student and decorated veteran finds purpose as political leader in Germany"
—Stephen Jay Gould

The Brain

People, it's The Times. I always just go to page 3.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Tonitrus

What...do they have topless Tories there or something?

viper37

Quote from: grumbler on August 27, 2020, 07:36:29 PM
The Jacob Blake case provides a much better example (or George Floyd, for that matter) of cases that could easily be made federal as hate crimes or deliberate denial of civil rights. 
my understanding of the case is that Blake was told to stop multiple times, 2 officers fired their tasers at him, and he kept going for his car where a knife was seen (and found).

unless the knife was planted there after the fact by the officers (unlikely, since he did say he had a knife), I don't see how it can be a hate crime at this point.  Maybe there's other evidences not referred by Wikipedia?
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.