The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valmy

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on August 12, 2020, 01:18:19 AM
Quote from: Valmy link=topic=11783.msg1257886#msg1257886 date=
Which is exactly my point. Rifle guy readied his weapon thinking the driver was attacking the protest or something and let us just say he didn't provide much security.

But in any case this is the second case in this thread of guys pointing guns around and being shot for it. Just pointing out how those weapons are not, in fact, keeping them very safe.

In driver's case, I bet they're trying to figure out if he went down there to start some shit (due to stuff that he posted online), and then happened to find it. He could very easily go to jail for this.  Then again, they've also got to consider where that thing was pointing.

Regardless, there have been lots of protests and gatherings and such where people were open carrying and nothing happened at all.  Pointing them at people or playing with them while in a crowd is pretty different from just having them.  I personally think it would be irritating and inconvenient to be carrying a rifle around all day just to protest or whatever, but some people feel differently. 

I am not saying carrying a weapon is a death sentence, just that it seems safer not to have one.

There have been left wing militia types "providing security" in these protests. This guy wasn't a member of those but he was of that mind set.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: merithyn on August 12, 2020, 01:34:00 AM
Unless you're rich, white lawyers. Then you can point loaded guns at protesters with your finger on the trigger and the President will shill for you.  :smarty:

They both got charged with felonies.  ;)

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: Valmy on August 12, 2020, 01:37:40 AM
I am not saying carrying a weapon is a death sentence, just that it seems safer not to have one.

Sure, but that applies to a lot of actions/things/etc, so eh...make your choices and be a grownup about it.

QuoteThere have been left wing militia types "providing security" in these protests. This guy wasn't a member of those but he was of that mind set.

Yeah, it seems to be a thing, and I don't personally think it's a particularly good idea.  Too many amped up people and shit going on around you to be all geared up playing DEVGRU oper8or or whatever.  It's not up to me to make their choices for them though.  The guy with the Barrett in Virginia *did* make me laugh, just for the sheer ridiculous-ness of carrying something like that around.  The thing weighs like 30lbs just by itself, and it's not exactly conveniently sized.

11B4V

Quote from: Valmy on August 12, 2020, 12:12:11 AM
Quote from: 11B4V on August 11, 2020, 11:18:19 PM
So did he or didnt  point gun at someone? Trying to get the straight story.

It is a he said/he said type situation. Witnesses say he didn't, the shooter said the guy did. Probably not going to get a straight story.

But is pointing your weapon at somebody mean you are fair game to be killed? But if you did it accidentally?

You tell me on the first question.

Accidentally? How does the other person know this?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

The Brain

You don't point a gun at someone if you're not prepared to shoot him, unless you're insane (and that doesn't necessarily make you less threatening). Thankfully I never had to point a gun with live rounds at someone when I was in the Army.
Women want me. Men want to be with me.

Valmy

Quote from: 11B4V on August 12, 2020, 08:17:16 AM

It is a he said/he said type situation. Witnesses say he didn't, the shooter said the guy did. Probably not going to get a straight story.

But is pointing your weapon at somebody mean you are fair game to be killed? But if you did it accidentally?

So if somebody points a gun at you, you are just going to open up?
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

11B4V

Quote from: Valmy on August 12, 2020, 09:40:46 AM

What's their intentions?
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

merithyn

Quote from: MadBurgerMaker on August 12, 2020, 01:41:21 AM
Quote from: merithyn on August 12, 2020, 01:34:00 AM
Unless you're rich, white lawyers. Then you can point loaded guns at protesters with your finger on the trigger and the President will shill for you.  :smarty:

They both got charged with felonies.  ;)

I didn't say they didn't. :) I said that the President will shill for you, and he has.

That carries some weight when you're talking about the guy who can pardon everyone, including himself. ;)
Yesterday, upon the stair,
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
I wish, I wish he'd go away...

MadBurgerMaker

Quote from: merithyn on August 12, 2020, 10:56:23 AMI didn't say they didn't. :) I said that the President will shill for you, and he has.

That carries some weight when you're talking about the guy who can pardon everyone, including himself. ;)

If they hadn't been pointing guns at a group of people, no one would know who they are, including the president. If they were just standing out there holding them, it's a blip on Twitter.

viper37

Quote from: The Brain on August 12, 2020, 09:03:40 AM
You don't point a gun at someone if you're not prepared to shoot him, unless you're insane (and that doesn't necessarily make you less threatening).
Sure.  That goes for people who are trained in using a gun.  But in the US, just about anyone can get a gun.  You have a lot of untrained people with guns.  Jumpy people with gun who can barely handle it without shooting their foot.  Don't expect these people to keep calm and apply rational thought to any event.  They hear a noise and they point their rifle in that direction.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

Valmy

Quote from: viper37 on August 12, 2020, 10:50:04 PM
Quote from: The Brain on August 12, 2020, 09:03:40 AM
You don't point a gun at someone if you're not prepared to shoot him, unless you're insane (and that doesn't necessarily make you less threatening).
Sure.  That goes for people who are trained in using a gun.  But in the US, just about anyone can get a gun.  You have a lot of untrained people with guns.  Jumpy people with gun who can barely handle it without shooting their foot.  Don't expect these people to keep calm and apply rational thought to any event.  They hear a noise and they point their rifle in that direction.

Exactly.

viper37

I'm not very good with guns, only basic training years ago and shot a few times (including a few times at Louisbourg with 18th century muskets!  :showoff: )
But if I have a rifle, and I'm in charge of security at a leftwing protest, I'm likely thinking anyone not in my crowd wants me dead, so if I see a gun raised, I shoot.
Or vice-versa: a far right winger with a gun seeing a leftist with a gun will shoot first and ask questions later.
I don't do meditation.  I drink alcohol to relax, like normal people.

If Microsoft Excel decided to stop working overnight, the world would practically end.

11B4V

I'm still waiting on his clarifying answers to my questions.

Valmy

Quote from: 11B4V on August 13, 2020, 08:15:08 AM
I'm still waiting on his clarifying answers to my questions.
Quote from: 11B4V on August 12, 2020, 10:48:32 AM

What's their intentions?

Is this your clarifying question? You don't know just some dude waiving his weapon around.

grumbler

If you have a reasonable fear for your life, yes.
The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.   -G'Kar

Bayraktar!