The Shooting Gallery: Police Violence MEGATHREAD

Started by Syt, August 11, 2014, 04:09:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

garbon

Quote from: Valmy on June 20, 2020, 04:07:06 AM
Quote from: garbon on June 20, 2020, 03:56:30 AM
But it wasn't so that's where a negative legacy for him comes in.

How is that his fault though? Hayes was the guy who ended it.

I mean one might say he could have done a better job but does that deserve getting your statue defaced because you tried to do something good and failed?

First off, I doubt dead Grant can care about his statue. I also don't think 'deserves' really has a place when talking about what should or shouldn't happen with statues.

Lastly, I already said I agreed with BA that it is s a shame but was positing a reason for why someone could have a negative view of Grant. Given the amount of great man hype given by our culture to figures like Washington and Lincoln, seems a bit odd to think Grant would then just get a pass for what happened during his administration.
"I've never been quite sure what the point of a eunuch is, if truth be told. It seems to me they're only men with the useful bits cut off."

I drank because I wanted to drown my sorrows, but now the damned things have learned to swim.

Valmy

I don't think Grant should get a pass. I thought you were providing an explanation why possibly it was justified even if you didn't necessarily think so.

Ok so what does have a place when discussing the defacement of public monuments? Surely a discussion about whether or not that action was justified is appropriate. Perhaps semantically deserving was not the right word.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Admiral Yi

Whether a statue deserves to be torn down/defaced is what separates a political statement from simple vandalism.

PDH

The battle between iconoclasts and iconodules is always a struggle to the death.
I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.
-Umberto Eco

-------
"I'm pretty sure my level of depression has nothing to do with how much of a fucking asshole you are."

-CdM

FunkMonk

I guess I can understand why some people feel the need to destroy a statue of U.S. Grant, but I can't say I feel the same.

But, uh, I thought maybe it would be neo-confederate racists who would do it.
Person. Woman. Man. Camera. TV.

Tamas

Quote from: FunkMonk on June 20, 2020, 09:10:18 AM
I guess I can understand why some people feel the need to destroy a statue of U.S. Grant, but I can't say I feel the same.

I don't think any more thought went into it than "we are now allowed to destroy statues of old dudes".

11B4V

Quote from: Tamas on June 20, 2020, 09:38:10 AM
Quote from: FunkMonk on June 20, 2020, 09:10:18 AM

I don't think any more thought went into it than "we are now allowed to destroy statues of old dudes".

:lol:
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

celedhring

Media over here report that the Cervantes statue at Golden Park was vandalised too, which is kinda funny since you know, he was also enslaved himself  :hmm:

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: celedhring on June 20, 2020, 09:45:36 AM
Media over here report that the Cervantes statue at Golden Park was vandalised too, which is kinda funny since you know, he was also enslaved himself  :hmm:

:secret:

Slavery or even slave trade by Muslims, does not count for the woke crowd.

HisMajestyBOB

If you see any statues of Muslim slavers, let us know.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

11B4V

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on June 20, 2020, 11:19:05 AM
If you see any statues of Muslim slavers, let us know.

Only white slavers matter.
"there's a long tradition of insulting people we disagree with here, and I'll be damned if I listen to your entreaties otherwise."-OVB

"Obviously not a Berkut-commanded armored column.  They're not all brewing."- CdM

"We've reached one of our phase lines after the firefight and it smells bad—meaning it's a little bit suspicious... Could be an amb—".

HisMajestyBOB

They're the only ones that have statues of them and are still an issue in our society.

When Nazis and fascists start rallying around statues of the Sultan of Zanzibar, I'll consider Muslim slavers a higher priority.
Three lovely Prada points for HoI2 help

Duque de Bragança

Quote from: HisMajestyBOB on June 20, 2020, 12:48:43 PM
They're the only ones that have statues of them and are still an issue in our society.

When Nazis and fascists start rallying around statues of the Sultan of Zanzibar, I'll consider Muslim slavers a higher priority.

Well, start by the infamous Leopold II. He did fight muslim slavers.  :P
Among other things...

Valmy

It doesn't have to be a high priority, just acknowledged when relevant. I don't think that is too much to ask.
Quote"This is a Russian warship. I propose you lay down arms and surrender to avoid bloodshed & unnecessary victims. Otherwise, you'll be bombed."

Zmiinyi defenders: "Russian warship, go fuck yourself."

Oexmelin

Quote from: Valmy on June 20, 2020, 01:35:47 PM
It doesn't have to be a high priority, just acknowledged when relevant. I don't think that is too much to ask.

It's very rarely relevant.
Que le grand cric me croque !